Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before I buy the book..can PB work with these dietary limitations? page 2

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Pippa...

Do you like meat? If so, I would eat it. It's good for you. If you eat fat, protein, and vegetables you will be satisfied. You don't have to avoid carbs... you just have to get them from vegetables and sweet potatoes. This is different than other low-carb diets. You may experience (most likely) a carb flu where you feel tired for awhile while your body adjusts to burning fats instead of sugars. This way of eating will help you lose weight, which will help you lower your cholesterol. Lower cholesterol by eating lots of vegetables, getting enough omega-3 fatty acids, and enough vitamin D. Eliminating sugar is the best way to lower cholesterol. Oatmeal does not = healthy whole grains... oatmeal = sugar. Whether whole grain or not your body breaks it down into sugar. You're lucky you don't eat dairy... lots of people eat it here and some don't want to, but have a hard time eliminating it (me)! You can still drink coffee, too, if you wish.

Best of luck to you... this is an adjustment and conventional wisdom (what your doctor tells you) isn't the right way. That's the hardest part to overcome. Buy the Primal Blueprint and read it or go to your local library and check it out. While you are there check out a book called "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Read the introduction... absolutely the best explanation of why conventional wisdom is wrong.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1. You should eat meat and get a new doctor. Meat is pretty essential on the PB and is very, very good for you.
    2. Cholesterol fears are bogus - cholesterol is the fireman, not the fire - you see it in a diseased heart but not because it's bad for you. If it were bad for you, why would your liver manufacture 80% of the cholesterol in your blood (20% from diet). It's not a foreign substance to be minimized. There is a ton of newer info on cholesterol and your heart - again, get a more informed doctor.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Lira is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
    I've been trying to live on vegetables, nuts, berries, fish and vitamins & supplements on my own but inevitably I am starving for some carbs to give me that full feeling (I have to eat often). I suppose with an increase of fat & protein this would go away? But what about my cholesterol issue?
    Pippa, I found Archevore to be extremely helpful in sorting out what to eat and what not to eat, and in putting my fears of fat/cholesterol to rest.

Particularly these posts:

Fats and Oils
    Starch vs. Fructose

If you increase your fat and protein intake you'll feel more satisfied and less hungry. If you're fat-shy, understandably, just try to work in a little bit at first. You're not really hungry for carbs...you're hungry for fat.

If you do want some carbs (nothing wrong with that) try some sweet potatoes or maybe white rice (not as nutritious).

I have read that bad cholesterol is actually linked to consumption of fructose and oxidized polyunsaturated fats (read: vegetable oils). I'm not a doctor, but the more I read about the actual physiology of people the more saturated fat seems to be safe and actually preferable to eat. Also--it's difficult to overeat fat, I've found...if your body doesn't want any more, it just looks really unappealing.

It sounds like what you're eating wouldn't end up being very satisfying in the long run. Salads and some fish would be tough. Maybe that's why you have such low energy. Honestly, try some fat...if you're scared of animal fats or red meat at least put some coconut oil and olive oil into your diet. Leave out any other liquid oil, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12