Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids Can Climb But The State Says No page

kam904s is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Stories like this make me livid - especially since 1) two of the kids in question were the children of the daycare worker, 2) the kids have climbed the cliff before, and 3) at no time were they in any serious danger. When one of the children DID start to panic the lady was up there to help him down right away.

How, I ask, are we supposed to encourage safe and expansive, healthy grok-like play if every time a parent, caregiver, or even a child stretches the boundaries of what helicopter parents think is "safe" they get slapped in jail or sued?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/outrage-of-the-week-update-teacher-who-let-kids-climb-cliff-on-trial/

This is one of the reasons I'm really starting to dislike American litigious behavior. "Think of the children" people scream... and then put little Jimmy in pinching shoes and slap a "learning to walk" helmet on his noggin so he doesn't bump his head if he falls. Oh, and the kneepads that keep him from scraping his knees when he's learning to crawl. Cuz heaven forbid he learns to deal with a *little bit* of pain early on. He might have a toddler grain-induced heart attack and DIE!

Lulabelle Guest

That is just ridiculous. I am not a fan of this over protective society-how can our children learn if we protect them every step of the way?

Exactly. I understand wanting to keep your kids safe but there's a line - sometimes thick and sometimes thin - between keeping them safe and being overprotective. Kids use their bodies to learn and now these three kids have learned that they're not considered capable of climbing on their own, with or without protective gear.

Niklas Guest

"think of the children" is the most hypocritical, manipulate and fake concept our society could invent. It's just an egotistical cover-up for people neurosis and wicked ideologies.

Today we have this ridicolous meaningless idea that education is not actually teaching a person how to make things right on its own but sheltering a person, maintaining his/her ignorance making him/her completely dependant and manipulable and under the control of another person.

To me to claim you don't trust your children is admitting that you're a failure as a parent. Because you can't say "my daughter can't cope with that", you should actually say "I trust my daughter in that situation because I have taught her since a very young age how to cope with that"

Knowledge is power, trial and error is power. Ignorance, sheltering, condiscendence is not power.

It's absurd to claim that young people can't make good choices while not teaching them how to make good choices and then claim you don't trust them. Experience is not just waiting in the delusional belief that time alone is going to make you experienced. Experience is trying to do something or deal with somethng until you succeed.

If you don't trust your son with a motorbike the solution is not to prohibit him to use it but to teach him how to use it responsably or paying someone to teach him. Otherwise the whole "we think children need to be educated to be responsible and safe" just sounds like hypocrisy from someone whose real interest is oppressing the kids and go into a power trip.

As someone said: it's both absurd to think that we should be more concerned at which age a person does exercise various behavior rather than how responsably he/she exercises those behavior and also that constraining young people from expressing ther view and being involved with things they might need to do in future is a good preparation for exercising their future responsabilities and rights.

This is a great site that explans why making kids safe is all about teaching them how to be responsible and take care of themselves:

freerangekids.wordpress.com

http://tinyurl.com/my-9yrold-rides-subway-alone

Yeah, I love the Free Range Kids site. Mostly because I had a childhood that went from WAY oversheltered when my stepfather was around to ENTIRELY free range once my parents got divorced. So I've seen both sides of the spectrum and I can say that I did so much better and got so much more exercise as a free range kid than I did when I was only allowed to go outside in the backyard for twenty minutes a day previously. My mother couldn't be around and she was working two jobs so I had to learn to do things on my own. It made me much better prepared for the world.

It makes me want to weep when I see all these teacup kids whose parents go and fight their college professors for them to get them into class. X_X What's the world coming to? And if we think it's bad here, it's even crazier across the pond!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Yeah, one of my daughters is WAY overprotective of her 1.5 year old. Just today I was telling my mother of recent observations when I was in Houston last weekend.

Is this a predominantly female thing? I've not seen guys take the extreme protective position. Maybe others here have.

I remember the family next door once, all women except for little Charles. Man, he loved to climb the trees, onto the shed, jump into our yard. The women would freak out, my roommate and I thought it normal as hell.

bobbylight Guest

The cliff was 125 feet high and the children had no safety equipment. One wrong step and they could have died, right? Even if they had done it before, it doesn't mean it is a good idea. I personally think it is irresponsible to let kids get into situations where their life could be in danger for no good reason.

Honestly, if one of these kids died, you would probably have a very different idea on the subject.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Let's just wrap our kids in bubble wrap.

bobbylight Guest

I have a son that is almost a year old right now, and if I found out that someone that was supposed to be looking after him let him climb on a cliff that was 125 feet I would want her in jail for sure. This wasn't just some rocks. Even if these kids were "avid climbers" they shouldn't be climbing something where one wrong step could kill them with no equipment. I don't understand the problem you guys are having with what is going on here. These kids could have died!

Niklas Guest

"I personally think it is irresponsible to let kids get into situations where their life could be in danger for no good reason."

But wouldn't you say the same of older kids or even people your own age? Are we underestimating the competence, maturity and skill of kids (often in my experience superior to that of the patronizing adults around them) or just expressing a general concept of "safety" that should apply to people of whatever age?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast