Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a hard time committing to Primal page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

Having a hard time committing to Primal

Shop Now
    I keep getting sidetracked by life/stress and a pile of excuses. I feel better and "cleaner" when I eat Primal and I can feel myself losing fat and getting stronger. But I seem to be falling low on willpower.
    I am at 25% BF and want to get to under 20%.

Inspire me with your stories and the ways you control yourself - it's so hard when you're 18 and surrounded by thin, fit friends who eat everything in sight and don't gain an inch.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I would take a look at all the success stories on this forum, a lot of people post pictures which can add to your motivation.

Primal Blueprint Success Stories | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I would take a look at all the success stories on this forum, a lot of people post pictures which can add to your motivation.

Primal Blueprint Success Stories | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
    Hey Balance,
    I've done that actually, and while they really do inspire me, I push them to the back of my head when I'm in a social situation or feeling bored/depressed and I eat awful things (e.g. 1 pint of haagen dazs today, a waffle and 2 slices of cake two days ago...etc.)
    Maybe it's a phase...I stuck to Primal like 90% when I was on holidays with less stress.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya tanya. We all have our weaknesses and for a lot of us it is food. For me it was really easy to stick to eating clean because I was having terrible reactions to gluten/grains. My allergies and digestion was out of control just by having a little, so it was never really worth it for me to continue eating it. Some people don't have immediate reactions like I do, but they may have adverse cumulative problems in the long run, so that is always something to consider. I personally never had a weight issue but at the same time I still felt terrible almost immediately after. So that is what kept me on track for the last 2 years and probably for the rest of my life.

Try not to stress over it as that will only cause more inflammation/cortisol. Either way just try your best to keep it to whole fresh foods and you are halfway there. Best of luck!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Good for you staying on track for so long!
    Thanks!!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    tanya, you are certainly not alone. Food can be as addicting as drugs, but you can't exactly quit eating. In your case, as with MANY people, your eating habits are tied to stress. Seeing fit thin friends doesn't motivate you, it discourages you. Your problem has less to do with the primal diet, or even motivation, than it does with conquering the habit of eating. You are controlled by food because it is a stress release, and even if you really intend to follow the primal lifestyle, if you are feeling enough stress (and you may not even know it) you will be off the wagon.

Maybe, for you, conquering the "eating addiction" will involve replacing it with something else that makes you feel good and doesn't make you feel worse in the long run. When I am "brain hungry" (this is the habit speaking) and I know I am not "stomach hungry" I will distract myself by taking a walk somewhere... Doing something that engages me physically so I'm not tempted to reach for ice cream. It helps me to think that I do not have to be a slave to food, it is there because I need it in order to live, but I don't need it to be happy. Maybe this will help you too. Good luck, it's not easy.

PS: At some point, your "I eat anything I want" friends are going to grow asses that no longer fit in their teeny Abercombie shorts and you will be way ahead of them mentally.
    Last edited by secretlobster; 05-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Leman Russ is offline Junior Member
    I agree with SecretLobster. I would also like to add;

You are 18, and the tempting social situations are only going to get worse within the next couple years for you (college, bar scene, etc.) focus on the positive. At least you are self-aware, and making the effort to improve yourself (light years beyond a lot of your peers). So you slip up once and a while, big deal, push yourself a little harder in the gym. Do an extra 10 minutes of cardio, rest a little less between sets, etc. Think about it as earning your treat.

The biggest thing that is going to screw you up is the mentality that, "oh i ate something I wasn't supposed to so I might as well go all out today and start over tomorrow" that will lead to a very bad cycle. Like SecretLobster said, eating these days is more mental than ever before in human history due to food (and more prominently bad food) that is so readily available. Hope this helps, good luck

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    tanyayogi - you've been given excellent words of wisdom here! well done posters!

I can only agree with Balance. When we're young and 18, it is difficult to see a future where we will feel any differently than we do today.

But when "18" was more than a few years ago and you start having aches and pains and dis-eases and dis-orders, you start looking around, looking for some relief.

I changed to a Paleo-type eating style and have been teaching those still at home: my 14-yo and 10-yo DDs. My 14-yo, i'm so proud of her... She is home schooled so does not have to put up with massive peer pressure. But we read and read and read some more so she can see the whole health picture.

So what you need to do is decide what it is about the Paleo lifestyle that is attractive to you; you have to own it.

And then, like secretlobster said, you've got to recognize the emotional tie to eating. That will be difficult, to be sure. I've been eating primal for 1.5 yrs, i'm at home most of the time, and it has been tough sometimes for me. You'll have a much bigger challenge as you are just entering a busy and complex world.

but. you can do it!

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    When you see your friends, you can think as follows:
    1. I am going to look like them in a few months as I eat all the steak, pork, chicken, and fish that I want.
    2. It's easy for them to eat pizza and ice cream, and it's easy for me to eat meat. They do what's easy for them. I do what's easy for me.

Also, when going out with friends, steer the group, if possible, to a place where you can order primal. Stay away from pizza joints -- pick out some places with a more varied menu. Most teens like bbq as much as pizza. Order a steak if the place has steak. Or chicken. Ask them to hold the pasta, rice, and potatoes. Pile up the primal food. Eat enormous amounts of it. Shovel it in like crazy to the point where you don't want any food of any kind.

Before you go out, eat some food that will kill your appetite. For me, this is protein, e.g., a can of sardines. For other people, it's fat. If you are not hungry when you go out, you will be less likely to give in and order ice cream of whatever.

Kill your sugar addiction. I'm not a big fan of diet soda, but Diet Coke is better than Coke and will get you on the road to low or no carb cravings. So when they order Coke, order Diet Coke or something else with aspartame if you must have soda. Or order the least attractive diet soda you can find.

In general, when you look at friends who have bodies like the one you want, instead of thinking like a sad sack, "Why can't I look like that?" you can think, "I can look like that if I act the way that is best for me. And I can enjoy eating food I like on the way there."

My own experience with sugar is that it is way easier to eliminate it than to control it. Stay off it altogether for a week, and you are well on the way to eliminating it for a lifetime.

Personally, I do not think it is helpful for young people to think about how they want to look when they are 40 or 30 or 80 or whatever. Beside the point. If you are like most young people, one of the most important things for you is finding an attractive boyfriend/girlfriend. Focus on that if you need willpower, because it probably is not going to happen when you are obese. If it does, you are probably going to lose him/her in the long run. Always remember those classic words of Steve Martin: "I'd do anything to have a body like that -- except exercise and eat right." That's most of America. If you are willing to look like a standard issue American for the rest of your life, you can always trade your health and sex life for another basket of a bread and bowl of ice cream.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You're into yoga. Third chakra is all about commitment and willpower. Work on yours (and, really, probably your whole lower triangle...) I don't know what form(s) of yoga you practice, but in Kundalini yoga (my great love) there are many kriyas for this purpose. You're entering a season where you'll be going through significant life changes, so having strong and balanced first, second, third chakras will help you remain grounded and steady during upheaval.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast