Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Turkey Sucks page

Mick812 is offline Member

Ground Turkey Sucks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I had a package of ground turkey sitting in the freezer for a while, so I decided to cook it tonight. Despite me seasoning the hell out of it, it tasted horrible. It had a nasty aftertaste too. Never eating that again.

Maybe it's because I'm used to ground beef and alot of red meat, but it was just not good. I think I'll stick with ground beef, red meats and occasionally chicken for my meat.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I like ground turkey, as long as I buy it fresh... the pre-frozen stuff I've bought always has a weird texture.

I can't seem to make good burgers out of it, though, so that honor is reserved for beef and bison. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    gotta mix that up with some spices. Turkey is soooo lean that it needs lots of added fat and some flavorful spices to make it yummy. I like adding fennel, red pepper, dried thyme, S & P, and then fry it in little nuggets in bacon fat. I usually make a mexican salad thing with it, add salsa, avocado, some greens. Bang!

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    You've already used it, so this won't help, but I've found the only real way to make it palatable is to mix it with ground beef and/or ground pork and make meatballs or meatloaf. But really, what's the point unless you've got some you need to finish up.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    yeh i agree, it is gross. i keep giving it a try but it always comes out gross no matter what! ground beef and ground chicken are better.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    None of the following taste disgusting unless you don't have the genes to enjoy them or you have never learned to like them or you have convinced yourself they are disgusting. There are millions of people who like each of these foods.

Anchovies
    Basmati or jasmine rice
    Beets
    Brains
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cilantro
    Dark meat chicken or turkey
    Eggplant
    Good bread
    Grits
    Ground turkey
    Kidneys
    Lima beans
    Liver
    Mashed potatoes
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Pork rinds
    Raw tomatoes
    Sardines
    Stinky cheese
    Tofu
    White meat chicken or turkey
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    Ground turkey is one of the few meats my husband will actually eat so I am pretty much stuck with it.
    If you can get ground dark meat instead of breast it is much better. I pretty much only use it for chili.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The only way I've found that I like it is when I make meatballs and have some kind of tomato sauce with it. Otherwise I'm not a fan.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I stick to turkey breast roasts. Ground turkey is horrible. Makes me think it's all butt holes.

starrchilde is offline Senior Member
    I like to mix it with either ground lamb or ground pork, then use it for meatballs or taco meat. But I don't like ground beef and it's cheap, so... *shrug*

Oh, and I have to agree that you have to buy it fresh. The frozen stuff is funky.
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
    ó John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast