Thread: I want to avoid becoming "Skinny-Fat". Any tips, PB veterans? page

Spubba is offline Senior Member

I want to avoid becoming "Skinny-Fat". Any tips, PB veterans?

Me: 40 years old, morbidly obese, but have lost nearly 35 lbs. overall. PB for 2 or 3 months now. No major mobility problems aside from those which are related to my body size. I need to watch my joints and avoid injuries at my weight, so things like running and jumping are right out. Flexibility is pretty good.

Current workout-y things that I've been doing:

Walking, 45 minutes, when weather allows. Gentle hills are included in my usual route. Pavement is flat and even, which reduces the chance for injury. I'm not going to go scrambling over rocks, hurling spears or jumping over fallen logs right now at my age and weight.

When weather is bad, I Play indoors. I play with a Wii Fit or play DDR for at least 30 minutes My partner works out and plays with me, and is about the same fitness and coordination level as myself, so it's fun trying to beat each other's high score in games like Rhythm Boxing or whatever.

I also count other things as activity too- cooking a large meal for guests, which can be a total workout, moving furniture around, cleaning, etc. etc...

I'm trying to include LHT into my routine. I have some dumbbells that I move around in various ways until my body is tired. But at my fitness level, I can't lift a great deal yet. This is what I want to work on the most. I have a 5 to 35 lb. dumbbell set to work with.

My main concern is the weight loss. I mean it's great and all, but of course, my goal is to lose the FAT and keep the MUSCLE! Otherwise my weight loss can stall later on. I was "skinny-fat" earlier in life, and "skinny-fat" always blows up in your face sooner or later. Does anyone have any proven tips on how to retain as much muscle mass as possible, to keep my metabolism healthy?

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member
    LHT as soon as you're able. I'm working on mastering the 5 EM right now, not sure how much of that you'll be able to do at your level, but read Primal Blueprint Fitness and actually give the beginner moves a try to see if any of them are feasible for you at this point. They may not be yet, but that doesn't mean that you can't modify a couple of them to suit your needs.

I was really clueless on how to work out (I belong to a gym) before I found PBF, and I was so happy to discover the 5EM. If you're morbidly obese now, as you described yourself, you're going to be limited on exercises that you can do. Not a big deal, just do what you can until you can do more. (If that makes sense.) I'd recommend compound exercises with and without the dumbbells. (Exercises like squats can be done without dumbbells, obviously, and keep in mind that it doesn't matter how many reps or how low you can squat at any point in time. Just keep trying and improving. You'll get there.) Off the top of my head, I'd say you can start learning to squat, dumbbell overhead presses, dumbbell pullovers, maybe buy some bands to do rows.

Keep eating primal, exercise reasonably, and you will not only retain your muscle, but you'll hopefully build some new muscle to toss around before it's all over and done with.
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eat plenty of protein and keep doing what you`re doing. Muscle loss will occur w/out adequate protein intake. If you have a hard time doing so then get some BCAA supplements and take those. (Branch Chain Amino Acids) Drink enough water to stay hydrated and keep the fat moving. Wall push-ups, beginners planks, stuff like that. Just keep it up and follow your eating plan and you`ll stay on the right track Congrats on job well done thus far!
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters