Thread: Simple question: is it worth it to buy Grassfed Ghee and Butter? page

FDgreen is offline Member

Simple question: is it worth it to buy Grassfed Ghee and Butter?

Shop Now
    This has been discussed, at times directly and mostly tangentially on the site (even on the front page now), but I would like some kind of consensus if possible.

Is it worth the large increase in cost to get grassfed ghee and butter? What is the fat profile for regular vs grassfed ghee and butter? (I had a really hard time finding any information especially about ghee). As I see it, the benefits of grassfed ghee/butter are potentially:

more nutrients
    less Omega 6
    better lives, etc for the animals (this isn't a selling point for me)

The grassfed ghee I found is $30 for 32oz!!! Dang, that's about DOUBLE the price of regular ghee.

Thanks for your yes/no vote and comments.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    It is more expensive and it is worth it. I don't use much ghee but the flavor difference alone is going to keep me buying grass fed butter, let alone the health benefits of much less Omega-6's and much more Omega-3's. Grass fed butter is delicious and healthy, 100% worth it in my opinion.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Mark's post on the topic has a lot of links you can check out for further info: Grass Fed Butter - Choosing a Better Butter | Mark's Daily Apple

And add flavor to your list. It's not a rule that grass-fed will always taste better than grain-fed, but on average I find it to be true. Kerrygold is very good (if you don't have good local grass-fed butters to choose from) and it ends up being $9/lb where I live, which is only 3X more than the cost of store brand cheap grain-fed butter that tastes like crap. I can find some local butter slightly cheaper at a health food store or farmer's market that I think actually taste BETTER than Kerrygold (and I feel better buying them knowing they didn't require much transportation).

I've never used ghee in my life so all my personal comments apply only to butter. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if the ghee I buy is grass-fed (it's Indian), but I definitely buy Kerrygold butter. It's not crazy expensive, though, and I do think it's worth it. I splurged the other day on grass-fed raw cream. I ate some with blueberries and it was pretty freaking delicious.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Mick812 is offline Member
    Try some Kerrygold butter and you will never eat regular butter again. Now I understand why people eat butter by itself. The flavor difference is remarkable.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    A tablespoon of regular butter has 382 mg of Omega 6 and 44 mg of Omega 3 according to this site. That is out of 11.4 g of total fat. Most of it is saturated and monounsaturated. So the 3:6 ratio is not good (1:8.7) but it's not a large amount of Omega 6.

I don't know how trustworthy these are, but I found these graphs while googling around.

My take: If you want to eat a lot of butter, get grass fed. If it's a little now and then, don't sweat it and take your fish oil. If you're trying to stay within a budget, you might get more bang for your buck with organic veg and meat. You could switch your cooking fat to something like coconut oil and just add a bit of butter for the flavor. Treat it like a condiment.

And what did a cow ever do to you, huh? Though I must say part of my preference for grass fed is their quality of life, but a lot of it is the fact that grass feeding is more sustainable.

PrimalCon New York
    I switched to Kerrygold butter for the taste. I also taste-tested several other European-style cultured butters (such as Plugra) and Kerrygold is definitely the best tasting. It is grass-fed.

So yes, it is worth it to me.
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)