Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fido and Fifi can go primal! page

JamieBelle is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

http://www.primalpetfoods.com/

Not sure how I feel about this, in all honesty. My local froo-froo pet boutique sells this stuff and i think I'll inquire how much it is. My dog eats Canidae currently and seems to do just fine.

I know we discussed primal pets so I thought this would be a good follow up. On their site, they even recommend that a dog have a 24-hour fast once per week from breakfast to breakfast! haha

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

The pre-made raw stuff is a bit too expensive to feed my 85 pound dog, so I just buy meat and organs direct and feed him that way, but it does work well for my cats, who eat far less.

I also fast my dog a couple times a week, and he's in excellent health. Dogs are even more adapted to intermittent fasting than we are.

Millions also seem to do just fine on grains, but we know how that goes. I'd suggest trying raw for two months to be sure.

JamieBelle is offline Member

My cockapoo is only 10 pounds. She would need four "nuggets" per day according to their online calculator, so their 4-lb bag would last me roughly two weeks.

I have no idea how much this stuff costs. Right now a 15-lb bag of canidae lasts me about 6 weeks. It is a relatively expensive food and all the ingredients are organic with no corn, no fillers, but it is kibble and there is some rice I believe. They do have a grain-free formula I've been thinking about.

As far as pre-made raw foods, I'm a fan of http://www.stellaandchewys.com/

Look into the prey model of feeding if you're interested in cutting down on costs and improving a dog's health. A dog that small wouldn't be hard or expensive to feed. Besides, there's nothing quite like watching a dog tear into raw meat, bones, and organs.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

I've been feeding my dog grain-free for quite a while (Orijen). I imagine grains are just as detrimental (if not more) to dogs as people.

I like the idea of raw and have fed mine some - he seems to like it ok. I only wonder why they think dogs need carrots, broccoli, and apples? But they put that stuff in his dry food too, so...

It HAS to be better than kibble, though.

Yeah, the fruits and vegetables are annoying. Stella and Chewy's used to offer all-animal raw food, but I guess they changed the formula.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I'm in the process of "primalizing" my dog. hehe.

She's running low on conventional kibble (Science Diet) so we're feeding her that for breakfast, and raw meat (right now turkey tails) for dinner.

She definitely loves the meat.

We're going to pick up some Wellness brand grain-free kibble so we can continue giving her kibble in the morning (I might spoon on some cod liver oil for omega 3s since she's getting conventional meat) and we'll keep feeding her meat at night.

Fasting her is a good idea too... I don't think she'd mind.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

GotPrimal Guest

I feed my dogs raw.

staple foods are: turkey necks, chicken livers/hearts/wings/breasts, beef heart, marrow bones, cornish game hens..and so on.

Veggie/misc that I give are raw eggs, green beans, fish oil capsules, etc.

The key, is obviously, NOT NOT NOT to cook it. Always raw.

And stay away from veggies that are comprised mostly off cellulose (corn/ corn husks, etc). They CANNOT digest them.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

They put carrots and yogurt and whatever in it because the stupid dog owners react positively to what excites them, not their pets.

I'm sure if Fido was offered Lamb & Rice and could talk, he'd say, "Hold the rice."

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

My dog and cats get B.G. (stands for Before Grain) kibble and the pooch gets Wellness Grain-free. He is 11 and runs around the yard like a pup. The cats are outside all the time (we have lots of outbuildings) and are very healthy. They also supplement their own diets with mice, voles, and the occasional bird (sorry, birders). I also supplement their diets and the dog's with leftovers from my meals. I am amazed that almost every pet food out there has a first ingredient of corn or wheat. Because we see so many members of the canine and feline family grazing in corn fields, don't we?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast