Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Many carbs? page

Cassandra.H. is offline Junior Member

Post Too Many carbs?

Primal Fuel
    I've been using Lose It to track my calories to lose the final 15lbs of fat I have left. I'm really frustrated because my weight has been fluctuating. I've been eating "healthy" for a good while now (years), but I've realized that "healthy" (fruit, veggies, nuts, meat, beans) isn't necessarily always "good" for you. I could eat fruit, nuts, beans, etc all day, and end up eating 200grams of carbs even without grains.

Three weeks ago I really started focusing more on watching my carb intake. I've been ranging from 100-120 most days. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Since the carb curve says 50-100 grams of carbs, I should just lower my carbs then to lose fat? For example, yesterday CHO- 111grams (26.1%) PRO - 109.2 (25.6%) FAT - 91.9 (48.4%).

I've been restricting my fruit intake because of the amount of carbs which is already challenging. I was at 141lbs, then dropped down to 139, and somehow managed to get to 144. Very frustrating. I feel fine in general, but the clothes fitting better isn't something I can notice quickly as seeing numbers on the scale drop. Any advice is much appreciated! THANKS!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I would do strictly fruit = zero until you are at the weight you want!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Wise move cutting out the fruit. You say you feel good and your clothes fit better, so your real problem isn't nutrition, it's the fact that you care about the scale.

Okay, I wasn't too clear earlier. I feel "fine" most days motivationally, but I do feel chubby sometimes because of my clothes. My clothes don't always feel looser. I don't like using only how my clothes feel as a measurement of success because it takes so long to notice a difference. Maybe I can do fruit once a day, like half an apple, or a cup of berries. The lack of variety is very discouraging to me. I've cut out grains and dairy for the most part. I just bought Mark's cookbook recently too.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Berries barely count as fruit, they are awesome incarnated and I think you are good keeping them in your diet. What's your exercise like? Is it possible you're overeating the nuts? Yes, I will agree that cutting carbs to less than 100g will help

I usually eat 1/4 cup of nuts everyday. Sometimes 1/3. I don't buy cashews too often because I have an extremely difficult time restricting myself to a low proportion. Peanut butter (I know, not primal) is my favorite food ever and I'm off limits to it for at least a week.

Exercise -- usually some form or circuits or hiit from bodyrock.tv or another site I visit. I do those about 3-4x a week. I lift weights usually 2x sometimes 3x a week. I was told by my chiropractor to not do full squats or use barbells for squats because of my lower back problems. I wrote him off because I figured squats were so versatile, but when I did thrusters the other day (and tabata squats another occasion) I realized I need to calm it down.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    What I did was gather a list of "healthy spices" and bought one of those Calphalon double-sided electric grills and made up my mind to stick with fresh meat and produce that I knew was diet friendly and get creative. You can make plenty of good things with no grains, no beans, no milk and no fruit.

I ended up with turmeric, curry, oregano, paprika, ginger, black pepper, basil, chinese five-spice, and extra virgin olive oil.

A trip to Italy didn't hurt too! I came back with ideas for healthy grilled veggies. I started buying things I never bought before, like swordfish steaks, tuna steaks, lots of salmon. Spice them up and grill, yum. I also started buy big bags of small sweet peppers and stuffed them with spicy good things.

Also stick to walnuts for the omega 3s, just try and not do too many.

While I was losing, the only dairy I did was imported Romano cheese, no carbs. You can use it in cooking quite a bit.

My favorite is you grind up walnuts and Romano, shred a squash, spice it up, and grill it like a potato pancake in olive oil. This is awesome by itself, but it's even better as stuffing for peppers. I make it whenever I have a potluck to contribute to and people go "wow, what is this, can I have the recipe?"

For thanksgiving, use pumpkin pie spice instead to make pumpkin-pie stuffed sweet peppers.

You can do it!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    My favorite is you grind up walnuts and Romano, shred a squash, spice it up, and grill it like a potato pancake in olive oil. This is awesome by itself, but it's even better as stuffing for peppers. I make it whenever I have a potluck to contribute to and people go "wow, what is this, can I have the recipe?"
    No binder? Can you give specific amounts please? That sounds pretty delicious

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Also stick to walnuts for the omega 3s, just try and not do too many.
    It's true that walnuts have the highest omega 3 content of the nuts, but they also have way more omega 6, which essentially "cancels out" all of that omega 3 goodness. Plus, the form of omega 3 found in walnuts (ALA) has a limited conversion rate to the useful forms (DHA and EPA). You are far better off eating some fatty fish for your omega 3s, or failing that, taking a fish oil supplement.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

biocrystal is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think you should try lowering your carbs to 50 or under at least for a few weeks to see how you react. You could then eat more fat so that you're not lowering your calories too much. (Obviously try to keep the Omega 6 low like other people said) My personal experience with carbohydrate restriction has been that I don't lose if they're too high and I don't lose if they're too low. Too low for me is under 20. I am eating between 40 - 50 grams of carbs and that has been working for me.
    Of course when I first started lowering my carbs last year I had to make a lot of changes. That included eating a lot less fruit, (I still eat berries and like you, some days I eat half an apple or an entire apple) Like other people mentioned above, also eliminating beans helps. It seems like you have already stopped grains, which is one of the main things. Dairy has not been a problem for me personally, I stick mostly to goat cheeses but I do use heavy cream in my coffee also and I drink Kefir. Something else I like to eat and fills me up is coconut milk. (not the lite version)

So in conclusion, yes, I think you should definitely try lowering your carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast