Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Perennially Yours page 3

perennialpam is online now Senior Member

Summer Winding Down

Primal Fuel
    Getting close to mid-September and no more camping in the immediate future. Hate when that happens.

Last weekend I camped from Thursday evening until Tuesday evening. Had a couple of days all to myself and the rest with my son and his family including 2 huge dogs. No complaints other than the weather. We would have liked less rain, wind and higher temps. Still made it to the beach almost every day and my granddaughters were able to see and swim in Lake Michigan.

We camped along a 2-track road and everyone got the hang of what that meant as far as wilderness camping goes and adjusted very well. Very delighted that my granddaughters and daughter-in-law enjoyed themselves.

The dogs were a concern prior to this trip but showed me they are now settling down and obeying. Much relief.

The eating plan worked fairly well but I did get off-track a couple of times. Seems to always occur when eating with groups. In order to keep harmony, I relent.

I was able to bring up my eating habits in a non-confrontational way and tell my son about it. This came up when I realized he is on daily meds for his acid reflux. Then, I get back to town and read the daily apple to find an article about GERD. Of course, I copied and sent it on. Haven't heard back. Sure wish I would.

Nothing like nature to make me happier and content. Nothing like my special place in Michigan to camp. There's always next year!

Comments

Last weekend I took advantage of the 70 degree weather and took off for LMRA. Had been ill on Thursday, not feeling very well on Friday, but on the way home I knew I just could not let this weather pass me up. And, I'm glad I didn't!

Got to my favorite site at 9:30 p.m., full moon rising. Forgot that it takes a while for the moon to actually shine on that site as it needs to get up and over the tree canopy first. Quickly I realized that I had forgotten some important stuff. Chocking a vehicle after work with needed items is definitely not foolproof.

Hmm: Pillow, difficult to sleep without my pillow; flashlight; under garments; and something else I can't think of right now. Had to laugh it off and go shopping the next day.

Hiked LMRA beach in the morning, 1st Street Beach mid-morning, and LMRA beach closer to sundown. Saw a nice sunset and laughed about saying to someone on my prior trip up the stairs off the dune that it was my last sunset of the year. He said - no way. His statement did weigh on me and help me make my decision to go north once again before winter strikes.

The fall colors were at their best. I've only been north one other time with the primary reason being to view the colors. Turns out this was timed for the best possible color variation. I felt guilty that I didn't tell my mom I was going north. She always mentions things that make me worry about my "episodes" and that does seem to influence how I feel as I leave town. I do worry about them but have not had any in so long and I do now know how to divert my attention off its impending fainting spell and think about other things vs. trying to avoid. Hard to explain.

The fact remains that if I passed away while camping up north, I'd be in the best place (for me at least) and want folks to know that I am my happiest at camp.

Now onto the title of this post. I began my journey here in late January of 2011. By June I had lost approximately 17 lbs. I kicked Diet Coke and enjoy the fact that I don't have to run bottles to the store any longer. I eliminated the majority of grains although I have a quarter cup of brown rice occasionally. I learned to enjoy cooking again. I eliminated sugar. I still need to work on elmiinating "processed food"; however, it is only found in minimal amounts of food I ingest. For instance, salad dressings, ketchup, Koegel hotdogs (nitrates), bacon. I have not progressed to grassfed meat yet.

Many people are beginning to notice this weight change since I have finally purchased clothing that fits. The comments are constantly: "You are getting too small, too skinny, etc." They come at unexpected times from unexpected people. Frankly, some times I think they wish they were me. I know that is unkind. These people have seen me throughout this year and act like I'm continuing to take off the pounds which is totally untrue. I had reached a plateau in early June and have held my weight since that time. I feel great and am totally enjoying where I'm at visually-wise (is that a word?).

I have no intentions of more weight loss. I do have intentions of toning up more and perhaps that is what people are noticing? Unfortunately I did not take any measurements in January so I personally can only go on what I see in the mirror. What I do still find is that I don't see what the scale is telling me. Another idea that I am having a difficult time explaining. However, I know that my weight is healthy.

What fun I had shopping recently. Depending upon the retailer I am in size 6, 8, 10 or small for tops. I have not lost any bra cup size (very different from other weight loss journeys) but the flattening of the stomach has been a joy for me to behold! Regardless, as I reflect on the sizes above, I know that I have not gone too far in this area.

I believe I have mentioned before that I need to get into the PB exercise part of the program and do intend to. Since Mark is putting out a new book, I will be purchasing it next Tuesday, 10-18-11, and we'll see where I go from here in regard to toning.

Dealing with groups and eating has become easier and easier. Earlier I would feel like I had to explain about the food choices and perhaps get others onboard. The same people who criticized this eating plan still criticise it but I don't spend any time trying to defend any longer. They have their opinions and they can keep them. They don't understand this "grain" stuff at all. They keep thinking glutin. They worry about saturated fat intake. They're on their own.

All I can say is thank you to Mark for everything and my friend at work, Doug, for leading me here and loaning me his book; and this MDA. BTW I have now purchased my own book! That way I can now loan it out too. I feel so successful and that my success is not a fly-by-night event. It is here to stay.

I am so looking forward to my next annual physical and checking out my new numbers and perhaps informing my dr. about this transformation. I do wonder about her reaction....will it be like my friends?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pam!

You posted in my thread the other day. I don't know if I've ever posted in yours but I will read through as soon as I have time. Congratulations on your weight loss - and the size 6s. I was so excited to get into a size 10 and then into a designer 8 (probably closer to a 9 - but I'll take it!).

People call me skinny too, but believe it or not, I still need to lose 2-3 lbs to get to a 'normal' BMI!

One place where my weight loss differs from yours is the boobs:belly ratio! My boobs have deflated but my belly hasn't gone down as much as I'd like. I still have probably 5 lbs of belly fat and another 5 lbs of back fat I'd like to drop some day. But I don't feel rushed or pressured to lose that. It'll come off when it wants to

I've been doing this since January and see no reason why I can't maintain this for life.... well, if you don't count nibbles of the Devil's Food Cake DH and DD baked on the weekend and left out on the counter!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Annual Physical Scheduled

The physical is now scheduled (end of January) and I just found out that I cannot ASK for a fasting blood draw, I need to discuss it with my dr. when I go to my annual physical. Good grief!

I have re-read my journal and see that I keep saying I'm gonna partake in the exercise part of Mark's program but honestly, other than reading the new book, have not even begun. I actually got to the chapter where you measure your current abilities and put the book down. Hmm. What's up with that procrastination? Darn me.

I have plans to go to the local rock climbing place during my work break, get trained and see what it is all about. I read somewhere on here that it'll be a very good workout. Depending upon the cost and the amount of fun I think it is, I'll at least try it over the course of the winter months.

CC Skiing is my winter exercise; however, that means it needs to snow and it works best if it snows over the weekend so I can get out in the daylight. My other form of winter exercise is shoveling my huge driveway and around my house in case of fire. That keeps me busy once the snow actually starts piling up. I love being outside in the dark evening shoveling - it is so peaceful and the stars are glorious.

Christmas is very close now. Much to be completed prior to the hostessing demands. Can't wait for it to be over though. Am excited about my granddaughters wanting to play office. I had prepared a "My Office Box" many years back for my grandsons but they were never interested. I've added additional items since there are 3 children and am hoping they will have the fun I expect. They will also get loads of clothing - they're girls who like clothing so yahoo.

If anyone happens to read this input - Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays - however you enjoy yourself and family.

2012 Resolution

I've certainly talked about this enough but I need to follow the 21 Day blueprint plan from the book I received quite some time back. I have procrastinated employing the suggestions and have gotten to the part where I need to measure my physical abilities.

I had every intention of getting to this prior to the holidays but then the holidays were upon us and my resolve faded. I had also intended to begin with the New Year (yesterday) but had this excuse - I was baby sitting my granddog who is nearing the end of his life and had many duties with him. Focusing on me was impossible. He has now gone to be with my son and I am free to begin my measuring of my level of fitness.

I had also intended to begin rock climbing last week but that plan was interrupted by last minute family arrivals and duties. So, hopefully I'll get to it this week on Thursday as that is when they have music and I want to get lost in the music vs. feel strange about trying something like this. Heck, I don't even know how to dress! So, I'm going for loose clothing and hope for the best.

This time of the year (winter in Michigan) I find it difficult to get the needed exercise but showing up at a class or gym is just not what I had in mind - if only it would snow. So, I am hopeful that I will enjoy the rock climbing adventure and keep with that until I can do things outdoors again.

I began my Primal adventure at the end of January 2011 so am anxious to review my successes so far and my failures. I didn't jump on the scale at work today as intended. I will do that tomorrow so I know what problemmatic poundage I added over the holiday break from 80/20 with the addition of failure to move much. It won't be bad and I'm back on the routine every time I fall off when being with family - who I've noticed really pay attention to what I am eating. Only to dismiss it. But that is just family. The real issue is the friends who know step-by-step Conventional Wisdom information. I remain silent when they talk their low-fat, fiber, talk.

So, Happy New Year to anyone who reads my boring journal and me.

This is gonna be a Great Year and I'm going to be in the best shape of my life - I just know it. The nutritional plan worked so well - the exercise portion can't fail me.

Pam

great bloodwork #s

BEEN TOO SHY TO ENTER & I see it's been way too long

Well, I have not employed the PB exercise routine nor did I follow the plan in the newest book.

The good news for me is that I did make it through the holidays with no weight gain. I was shocked as I did eat some items (that I cannot remember right now) that are not primal. However, I know that I did not binge on them and that may be the biggest difference in my eating habits to date.

I still longed for snow and the ability to shovel it or ski in it for exercise. Had one or two big snowfalls but not on the weekends when I could ski. However, I did get some shoveling in.

I have had many social events in March and April. Last weekend was a travel to Wisconsin for my niece's bridal shower with my brother in law's family. Very upsetting to see my youngest niece (not the bride) has put on weight since Christmas when she looked heavier. This is a young woman who was always active and very in shape. Something is going on that I don't know about and only seeing her once in a while, I will not find out what it is. Her mother (my sister) passed away 5 years ago in March and she has been at college and living off campus this year.

Regardless, she is living with my brother-in-laws family and they are all obese. Her mom was obese as is my mother. When it came time to eat at the shower, the only PB item was the fruit salad I made. Honest. There was chicken (in flour and deep fried), cole slaw with ramon noodles, chips, melted cheeses, rolls. And desserts.

16 people in attendance - 40 pieces of chicken. Get the picture? This is a lunch time event.

Regardless, I ate things I should not have as mom and I were staying at a motel and didn't know our way around Milwaukee. She is 87, so I could not manage driving around looking for spots. We did eat at Olive Garden one night and I ended up grabbing one of their breadsticks and mom mentioned she was surprised. I was too because it was awful and I did not finish it.

I am curious, this week, about weight gain but have not jumped on the scale here at work that is very accurate.

Have been incorporating lifting dumbbells for my arms and some ball exercises for my stomach. Also have been able to do yard work much of the year so far since our weather has been unseasonably nice. Got my boat in the water the last weekend of winter. It was in the 80s. Normal is usually the 20s. The boat people out on the lake were all bragging about this new ability and enjoying every minute of it.

I honestly should begin my program once again getting closer to the below 50 g carb intake position. That way I could improve my waistline even more. I'm happy with where I am at but would prefer more tone and a tad less fat.

I still get remarks like "girl, you've lost too much weight", "why you still losing weight?". I am somewhere near 130 and that is nothing to worry about. It's never a compliment - I guess that is what I'm really getting at. Never, never - you are looking good. I don't undertstand. I am not one to gloat or even mention my diet - but the people are often turning it into a bad thing. And I NEVER mention my diet (I know it is my lifestyle, it really is, I wouldn't have believed it) - as they argue the low fat, more grain, stuff.

I'm proud of where I'm at and only look to improve. I still eat some processed food in the form of salad dressing and ketchup but very little. Other than that, I am only eating fresh, greens, and some sweet potatoes. Some b. rice too once a week.

No more pop at all and only one cup of caffeinated coffee - the rest decaf. These are all huge and welcome changes.

Over and out.

Pam
    good bloodwork numbers

Looking forward to a wonderful summer.

Current Challenges

One thing I've always noticed about any weight loss I've managed to incur, there comes a time when I add this or that back into my diet and nothing shows up - then WHAM!!! - it does.

My cheats have included popcorn, and basically too many carbs on some days. Now the little weight I've put on is minimal although I have not even jumped on those good scales at work yet. I just know by the way some of my pants are fitting.

I have failed to follow through with the exercise portion of my goal list. Too many activities that take me away from the more likely yard work I love to do. Basically items I cannot get out of or the weather just didn't cooperate or I needed to catch up on inside stuff (I hate).

I kept thinking, since this year's winter and weather has been so mild, that I'd be getting more exercise in sooner than in other years. And, I have been outside but not those long hardworking days that are typical and help to get the body in shape.

I'm feeling that it is my fault. However, one needs to push to keep contact with family members and keep those memories coming. Tomorrow is a visit to Henry Ford Museum with my DIL and my lovely granddaughters (10, 11, 13). I understand there is an additional Titanic Display to attend to also. It'll be a long day but so worth developing deeper relationships with all 4 people.

An addition to the day is that I get to see their new baby chicks and the piglets that Audrey is raising for 4-H, not to mention the pg-dog, Britney. My son, who I never figured for a farmer, is now learning the ropes. This will be fun to see.

So - here's to more physical activity - whatever it may be. Seems as if I don't like doing hand weights for my floppy upper arms or toning up my mid-section on the exercise ball. Don't know why. Had a routine at one point and just stare at them currently. Kick me in the butt -someone.
    Last edited by perennialpam; 08-20-2014 at 05:30 AM.

Summer and weather

This spring has been a busy one.

First off, drove to MS for my grandson's hs graduation. Camped at Davis Bayou on the Gulf in Ocean Springs. Highly recommend this national campground. Unusual for a national campground to have electricity and showers, at least the ones in Michigan do not possess such amenities.

Took my grandsons to my favorite camping spot in Michigan near Manistee. Another national campground right on Lake Michigan. I can't get enough of this place. This is very early for my trips north but I have decided I rather like it. Very warm on the beach and no bugs. It is the 2nd visit already this year. Camped in the woods on the April 20th visit. No one else around.

Last weekend was a trip to WI for my niece's wedding.

Most of these trips involved some non-primal foods. Fortunately the wedding was very primal aside from the beer intake. Lots of movement too on the dance floor.

Still striving to keep with a proper diet whenever possible. Had a dinner invitation Monday where people, once again, asked about my diet. I explained no bread (as we were eating hamburgers w/ buns) and their comment was "We are ominvores, you know". I let it be and ate as I needed to. There is so much information to inform them about that I just seem to give up.

Another long lapse.

Didn't want to loose the info below.

Sabine, I can surely relate to your comments about expressing feelings. I surely know how to feel them. What has occurred to me (late in life, unfortunately) that by not allowing your children to express themselves, even if negatively, you thrawt their ability to mindfully express them. I often blurt out things that would have been better with a mindful thought process. The minute I do it, I know it and feel bad. Once spoken - too late.

I was an only child for 10 years and was often talked about in my presence like I wasn't there. I would hear how shy I am or how much I pouted. Hard to explain. Perhaps I was pouting because you guys all acted like I didn't have a brain, opinion, or the ability to express myself never developed. Sad. For. Me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am sick. I just lost a long entry somehow. Accidentally pushed a button that deleted the entire story. Bummed big time.

Short synopsis follows.

Find myself retired which was not in my plan. Ironically I had begun the process of no more hair coloring over a year ago so I look like a normal retired person. Am depressed because I miss the social outlet work provided. I live in the country and far away from most of my friends. It takes devotion to prepare to go here or there so I don't look like a country-bumpkin.

I am finally back on plan; going on 3 weeks in. Already feel better in that regard. Have not weighed myself but was punished all summer long with the reality that I have probably gained all the weight I lost a couple of years ago. I did manage to keep it off for a period of time but the addictions crept back into my eating habits. Sad.To.Say.

So, glad I made the decision to enter back onto my plan. Have purchased 2nd hand clothes for next summer's music festivals that I hope to look good in. I have them hanging in places where they are sure to provide incentive.

Since I am retired now I have begun looking for volunteer activities that I would be fond of participating in. I have joined a nearby senior center for free yoga sessions. Have only participated in Wed versions but today I am also joining in on the Tue today. I will be taking a Master Gardener class next year for 4 months with the promise of providing 40 hours of volunteer work. I have looked into other items on my list including the NAP located in AA. Showed up for one of their burn trainings but the library did not have a room reserved for it. So, lost time and bummed as it did occur but they knew who was coming and met somewhere in the library. Double bummed. Another item I'm looking forward to is the Dr. Snowflake workshop normally held during the workday in January. I'll be attending this year. Just love making snowflakes as do some of my close friends. This is something I will do on my own, though. Just saw Leon Russell during a weeknight concert - something else I may not have done while working. Slowing but surely.

Know this eating way of will help me with my depression and self esteem. I'm not extremely heavy but carry that belly fat. I want to fit back into those clothes I purchased following my last weight loss and the new ones I purchased as an incentive.

The holidays are upon us and that does not help with the depression I feel. Since my children and their families are busy this year, I bailed on fixing a thanksgiving meal for just my mother. Too much work that I don't feel inclined to do. She is bummed but I have done this holiday thing for the family for over 30 years. One time is not too bad to bail on. Not to mention all the items that are leftover that I need to stay away from.

Hoping I keep at this journal once again. Who knows - I'll do my best.
    Last edited by perennialpam; 11-26-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast