Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nagging dizziness/mild headache after dropping dairy? page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

Nagging dizziness/mild headache after dropping dairy?

Shop Now
    I cut out yogurt and kefir last week (as well as all fruit and high carb veggies), and 2 days ago decided to try cutting butter as well, replacing it with bacon fat or coconut oil. Since then, I've felt dizzy with a slight headache, vaguely reminiscent of my low blood sugar/hypoglycemic days.

Is this another round of low carb flu, or something else?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    It could be another round of low carb flu, and it also could just mean you aren't taking in enough calories overall. Do you know if you cut your calories when you switched up your diet?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    It could be another round of low carb flu, and it also could just mean you aren't taking in enough calories overall. Do you know if you cut your calories when you switched up your diet?
    Good question. I didn't cut calories intentionally, but it may have happened accidentally. I'm only 5'2" and 112 lbs, but I'm breastfeeding, so I need upward of 2,000 calories a day to maintain. Since I've been losing weight, maybe I'm not getting enough. Guess I'll up my avocado/high calorie veggie intake, and more fats (I already get more than enough protein).

redberry is offline Junior Member
    How come you cut the dairy? Just curious
    5'1" - 35/29.5/40.5

Start (5/9/11): 133 lbs
    5/25/11: 127.2 lbs

Goal: 120ish

Quote Originally Posted by redberry View Post
    How come you cut the dairy? Just curious
    I was having major bloating and gas issues, even with long-fermented raw dairy and kefir, which were the only dairy products I was on besides butter. I have some raw grassfed cream, which I'm going to use to make butter since I'm pretty sure cutting the butter didn't change anything.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    That's a pretty big decrease in sugar intake - my guess is that you're on the low side. In regard to the coconut oil - I've seen where posters have had similar odd reactions when they first start with regular intake but they seemed to subside within a fairly short time frame. My money's on your blood sugar having tanked, though. It's probably the easier of the two to rule out first, anyway. I'd look into that and if confirmed, add one or two of the previously yanked items back until you're at a more comfortable level - then slowly wean off of them. Once you know your level is within normal limits, if you still have some weirdness going on, get rid of the coconut oil for a day or two.

I'm curious to hear the answer as to which may be the culprit. There's always a third possibility .....could just be a combo of the two changes?!

Check back if you can. Hope you feel better.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

You know, I have a blood glucose meter on hand, let me check. Ok, about an hour after eating, my levels are 75 mg/dL. That is pretty well within the normal range, right? I do feel a little weak/dizzy, not as bad as I did this morning though. I hadn't thought about the coconut oil, that could definitely be the problem.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    In addition to the calories, are you replacing the liquid volume that would have come from the yogurt and kefir? I know it is pretty easy for breastfeeding moms to become dehydrated. Maybe bump up your water intake a little?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    In addition to the calories, are you replacing the liquid volume that would have come from the yogurt and kefir? I know it is pretty easy for breastfeeding moms to become dehydrated. Maybe bump up your water intake a little?
    Wow, good point! Between stopping the yogurt and kefir, and cutting out all fruit, my amount of water containing foods has dropped drastically. I'll drink more water today and tomorrow to see if that helps! Thanks!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't changed anything, I'd check your sugar again this morning. You may have been super low first thing, but then slowly picked up yesterday and felt a little better than in the morning.. Although 75 is technically considered within normal limits, it can and does induce symptoms for some, believe it or not. (It also looks like it may have been an afternoon level, which makes me really curious as to what your fasting level was in the morning.) Do you have any idea if it's quite a bit lower than what you were running prior to removing those foods from your diet? It may not be about the specific value itself, but about the difference between what you were and are now and that your body is having to adapt to functioning at the lower level. It may just not like it and is taking a stand and digging its heels in. Adding the coconut oil may have really put it over the edge and ticked it off good!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast