Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much fat ? page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

How much fat ?

Shop Now
    Hi!

I've been into Primal eating for a couple of months. Now that I am stuck at a certain weight (still need to lose about 3-5kgs to get a sixpack) I am starting to think if I eat too much fat.
    How much fat do you guys eat? And do you also count the olive oil/butter you cook your meat/veggies with?
    Or do you just count the fat, you pour on it when eating it?
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea how much fat I eat. That said, if you were tracking it then yes you would need to count the fat you are using to cook food. What fat are you pouring onto things? Do you mean like a pat of butter on veggies or oil on a salad?
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by traintolive View Post
    I've been into Primal eating for a couple of months. Now that I am stuck at a certain weight (still need to lose about 3-5kgs to get a sixpack) I am starting to think if I eat too much fat.
    So what do you want to increase? The percentage of carbohydrate? or the percentage of protein?

And why do you think that would help?

How much fat do you guys eat?
    Personally, I eat about 60% of my calories as fat, usually a little under.

And do you also count the olive oil/butter you cook your meat/veggies with?
    Or do you just count the fat, you pour on it when eating it?
    i don't always count. For that figure I'm relying on Fitday's software. I don't cut the fat off meat, but most meat you find in shops nowadays is quite lean—because customers demand that—so I do specifically cook in, or add, concentrated fats such as butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. Besides that, I do eat nuts, eggs, cheese, and avocados, which are all fairly high in fat. I'll maybe eat a tablespoon of butter with my eggs at breakfast, put a tablespoon of olive oil on my large salad at lunch, and again have a tbs or so with dinner, either as a dressing, or for cooking, or just eaten off the spoon. On the occasions i tap the numbers into Fitday, it says I'm eating somewhere in the high fifties or low sixties as fat. Seems good to me.

There are a number of theories about weight-loss. Stephan over at Whole Health Source has recently launched another. He points out that people can and do lose weight on many different sorts of diets—and that includes low fat as well as low carb diets. He says it appears that the more extreme the diet the better it is for weight-loss. So low-fat dieters who want to lose more should drop out more fat, but low-carb dieters should drop out even more carbohydrate. He thinks this may be to do with the monotony of a diet: if the diet is less interesting and less attractive to the tastebuds—and both carbs and fat are powerful "reward foods"—people tend to eat less of it. They actually feel full on less calories.

Here's his latest talk on the matter:

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-hea...ast-episode-10

That's one theory. Whether that's true on not, Marks' suggestion in his "carbohydrate curve" is likely to work for you if you're on a low-carb diet. Basically, if you want to lose drop your carb percentage down:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Hunt3R is offline Member
    When I first went paleo I was prolly moderate fat, high protein, low carb, and I leaned out quick and finally got my abs to show up, although all the sprint intervals and weightlifting and planks helped too I'm sure. Planks I think are the best ab workout you can do, but variety helps too.

Nowadays, I eat more moderate protein and high fat, most days I prolly eat 4 tbsp's of olive oil and another 4 tbsp's of coconut oil in addition to eating fresh coconut and whatever meat I might consume too. I love a nice fatty beef ribeye. And my abs are still here. If anything they seem to get more defined over time. Cutting some fat when trying to lean out definitely helps but I think at least a couple tbsp's of coconut oil a day is still beneficial. I've even read some stuff that shows it will help burn fat.

If you feel like you're stuck at your current weight then maybe you need to adjust carbs. If you're zero carb, try adding some starchy carbs daily from sweet potatoes, taro, or even white rice. If you've already been eating that way, then try going zero carb for a short time and increase protein to make up for the lack of carbs.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Just read Lewis's post and realized that I forgot to mention I also tend to eat 3 eggs a day (cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil), 1 avocado a day, maybe a handful of nuts like macademias, and maybe some full fat cheese and yogurt too. I use a tbsp to measure when I use oil, but I don't count it for the day like ok that's 3 so I can/can't have how many ever more. I eat till I'm full. If I'm not full after dinner, I usually eat some coconut bark.

Yeah well I eat veggies, maybe even not a lot of veggies, plenty of meat and many eggs and I drink lots of milk.
    I don't know if I am eating too much fat, I eat a lot of butter though, I basically put it on everything -- meat, tuna, eggs, veggies ...

Here are some recent pictures of my stomach taken today.

http://www8.pic-upload.de/26.05.11/rcir1pawr18.jpg
    http://www8.pic-upload.de/26.05.11/va5xgop299.jpg
    http://www8.pic-upload.de/26.05.11/l2ma2memikv.jpg
    http://www8.pic-upload.de/26.05.11/c2u9wx9mfjzg.jpg
    http://www8.pic-upload.de/26.05.11/d24qu87kubx.jpg

PS.: When I grab the fat, my stomach is flexed. My stomach is also flexed on the last picture. It depends on how hard you see the abs on the light.

If you want to ENLARGE the pictures, just click on them.
    Grok from Germany

theholla is offline Senior Member
    If I was in your position, the first thing I'd do is try eliminating (or at least cutting down on) milk. It is highly insulinogenic, which makes it great for bulking up, but some people find dairy makes it difficult for them to slim down.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    If I was in your position, the first thing I'd do is try eliminating (or at least cutting down on) milk. It is highly insulinogenic, which makes it great for bulking up, but some people find dairy makes it difficult for them to slim down.
    Hmm I really like milk and drink it a lot. Could be. So how long should I stop drinking milk and see if it works for cutting down?
    Grok from Germany

Hvrafnur is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    One of the reasons i dont want to eath milk based products :P

@traintolive How does you typical weekly workout look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Hvrafnur View Post
    One of the reasons i dont want to eath milk based products :P

@traintolive How does you typical weekly workout look like?
    Well I should say I try to eat 6 times a day, BUT Primal! I don't really count anything, but try to get enough protein. I want to gain some muscle mass, more than you can get from pushups, etc. so I follow a typical bodybuilding-routine 4 times a week for a split-plan 1-1,5 hrs usually. But I don't do cardio. I thought about sprinting about once a week again.
    Grok from Germany

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast