Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hear me ROAR! Ryokumuji's Primal Journal. page

Ryokumuji is offline Senior Member

Hear me ROAR! Ryokumuji's Primal Journal.

Shop Now
    So, I just started this whole primal thing a few days ago and... I'm pretty excited about it.

For many years, I was about 50+ pounds over weight. 5'4" and pushing 200 pounds. It took me THREE YEARS to get down to 120 via the "common wisdom" methods of calorie counting, measuring foods, lots of whole grains and what not. Unfortunately, I've gained back 8 of those pounds (which isn't such a big deal) and have realized while I lost so much weight, I gained VERY little muscle or strength along the way doing all the "common wisdom" cardio bull poopie.

I was a hair away from becoming a vegan, until I found websites like this along with another weblog called "Let Them Eat Meat" where I first came in contact with the "paleo" life style. My biggest problem is I looooove sweet things. Yesterday, it took a HELL of a lot of willpower to not walk down to the corner store and grab a grape soda. I have been eating Paleo since Saturday, not 100% perfectly, but haven't touched a baked good since then. I've already lost a pound too.

One thing that has really made me wanna dive into the primal lifestyle is a very unsettling experience I had the other day when I was out for a daily walk. I was approached by a middle aged man who asked to walk with me, who then kept begging me to come over to his house to watch movies, asking if I had a boyfriend, if I "liked a lot of boys", and rantings about how you "can't tie women down, can't tie women up and beat them". I got away from him but when I got home I realized how utterly defenseless I would have been against this guy.

I can't even do ONE push up let alone defend myself from an attacker! It really disturbed me to think how hopeless the state of my body actually was. Sure, I didn't weight as much but did I have any muscles? No! Grok would never have had to worry about something like that.

So, now I'm kind of ranting. But yes, my biggest reason for going primal is to gain and maintain strength while also keeping myself slim and healthy.

A little more about me: I work night shift at a laboratory, I love video games (RPGs, simulation games, and old school SNES games), I love to walk everyday, I'm a really crappy cook but definitely willing to try harder in the name of going primal.

Today's meals:

B - Celery, Whey Protein Power Shake, Banana, Fish Oil Capsule

S - Walnuts, 1 oz local cheddar cheese

L - 90% Lean Ground Beef Patty (you'll be seeing these a lot because I loveeeee beef patties), Cucumber slices, carrot, almonds.

S - Teriyaki Beef Jerky

D - Orange, Banana, Bacon, 2 eggs fried with the bacon

Total Calories - 1773

Carbs - 111 (24%)
    Fat - 107 (50%)
    Protein - 116 (26%)

Work out: Progressive Bodyweight Training from Primal Blueprint Fitness Ebook - All at level 1 Trying these exercises makes me realize how horribly out of shape I am! I also walked for a couple of hours today, just for the heck of it.

And on that note, it's almost my bed time. Gonna try to update this every day! If anyone can give me any advice on what I'm eating, I'd appreciate it. I'm having a hard time finding veggies I really like. I love almost any and all fruit, not surprising since I have a sweet tooth. I love celery, cucumbers, carrots, and green beans but I find I'm not really crazy about spinach or kale. Although I heard baked kale "chips" are EXTREMELY tasty and almost like potato chips.

Some observations: I notice I'm not as obsessively hungry when I wake up and in the period of time between breakfast and lunch. That makes me VERY happy. All I could think about when I was at work was, "When the hell is lunch time!?"

Today, I did get a bit hungry before lunch so I ate 10 almonds and the hunger went away.

Also noticing that my skin seems to be healing and clearing up. I did NOT expect that at all. A lot of websites I've read about getting rid of acne have said that going VEGAN was the best route for getting rid of it. Go figure!

B - Banana, Whey Protein Power Shake, Walnuts

S - 10 almonds

L - 90% Lean Beef Patty, Green Beans, Local Cheddar Cheese

S - 10 almonds

S - Fresh Sliced Peaches and 10 almonds

D - Bacon, 2 Coconut crepes, Celery, Carrots, Coconut Water with Mango and Peach puree

The coconut crepes recipe that I got from MDA came out... terrible. They didn't taste bad, not at all, but I was having a lot of trouble flipping them without them falling to pieces. I'm a horrible cook. Drove myself crazy trying to calculate the calories and what not in them too.

Calories 1,642

Fat 95.6 (51%)

Carbohydrate 100.8 (24%)

Protein 98.6 (24%)
    Last edited by Ryokumuji; 05-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.

I got charley horsed last night! I always get these in my legs. It's odd because I usually only get them if I do a LOOOOOOOOOOT of walking. I wasn't dehydrated when I went to bed and I'd be shocked if my lyts were unbalanced... I wonder if it had to do with stress?

Unfortunately, I have a pretty bad temper. I sort of fit the fiery red head stereotype. Normally, it can take a lot to make me angry. But yesterday I was getting pretty pissed off at my poor crepe cooking skills and then I couldn't get my coconut oil jar open... Which resulted in me bouncing it off the floor and the seal breaking. At that point, I HAD to laugh.

I've always been a bit high strung anyway. My mom told me today that I worry too much about silly things. Like having a fit over the crepes and then freaking out that other people in my building might have heard my little shit fit.

I know some people have said that they seemed to have less anxiety/depression on the primal diet and I'll admit to you guys, I have suffered from SERIOUS depression and I was a hair away from attempting suicide. I'm A LOT better now and I stopped taking anti-depressants in February. I still have that nervousness and anxiety though, which I think is probably where a lot of my depression came from in the first place. Mostly I worry about whether or not people like me.

I'm working on it. But I'm also hopeful that eating primal will calm down some symptoms too. How sweet would that be?

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Never heard the phrase "charley horse" before...always good to learn a new idiom.

My favorite games are considered "classics" now...I feel old :P All these kids call themselves gamers and haven't played Chrono Trigger, Earthbound or Super Mario RPG.

Oh and don't worry too much about the calories - after trying out intermittent fasting I've found that I get super hungry after skipping a meal or two up to the point where I stuff myself silly. I just feel full throughout the next day and end up eating a smaller dinner. My diet is typically well below 100 grams of carbohydrates though so that might be part of it (I don't count, typically I only eat leafy greens).

Quote Originally Posted by rayout View Post
    Never heard the phrase "charley horse" before...always good to learn a new idiom.

My favorite games are considered "classics" now...I feel old :P All these kids call themselves gamers and haven't played Chrono Trigger, Earthbound or Super Mario RPG.

Oh and don't worry too much about the calories - after trying out intermittent fasting I've found that I get super hungry after skipping a meal or two up to the point where I stuff myself silly. I just feel full throughout the next day and end up eating a smaller dinner. My diet is typically well below 100 grams of carbohydrates though so that might be part of it (I don't count, typically I only eat leafy greens).
    I learned the phrase from my dad. He would get charley horses really bad in his legs when I was a kid because he had to be on his feet all day.

I LOVE Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Super Mario RPG! Those are definitely some of my favorite games on the SNES. Especially Earthbound! It's a real shame that a lot of kids haven't heard of these games. At least Chrono Trigger was released on the DS a couple of years ago.

I use fit day to keep track of everything. Counts fat, carbs, protein, and calories for me. I find I have some problems with eating out of boredom or getting cravings for sweets/soda. I try to stay below a 100 carbs, which I didn't manage today unfortunately because of a sweets craving. I'd rather eat some extra fruit than go out and buy a 20 oz Pepsi. I wish I liked vegetables more.

B - 3 coconut crepes, banana, celery, cheddar cheese, and Coconut/Manga/Peach Water

L - 90% Lean Ground Beef patty, cucumber slices, carrots

S - 1 oz of almonds

D - Super Berry Chocolate Yogurt ; added some double chocolate whey protein to it cause I was a bit low, banana, chicken breast

S - Coffee with honey and heavy cream

Calories - 1,668

Fat 85.8 (45%)

Carbohydrate 126.6 (29%)

Protein 111.4 (26%)
    Last edited by Ryokumuji; 05-28-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Quick add-on about my exercise routine... I almost ALWAYS get at least 30 minutes of walking outside done. I like to walk outside and chat with my family over the phone. I do wish I had a walking buddy/boyfriend to walk with, especially after running into Mr. Creeper. Anyway, I wanted to do some strength training today but my legs are still aching from the scary run I had and from the work out I did two days ago. I'll probably do everything but the squats today since my arms and abs don't feel sore anymore.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    You may want to go easy on the fruit, especially if you experience any cravings. Fruit is high sugar, esp as compared to older times when fruit was still low sugar. Fat, like the raw nuts, is a better option. Glad you found MDA.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

@ Digby - Thank you for the advice! I think other people have said the same thing. I'm probably gonna polish off the bananas I have left and not buy them for awhile. Out of all the fruit I have in the house, those seem to be the highest in sugar.

I don't want to cut fruit out completely though. But my oranges, peaches, and berries are definitely way lower in sugar and are just as tasty.

I was bad though, when I got back from my walk I made some coffee with honey and heavy cream which upped todays carbs to 127. Still, I'm happy as long as I don't go above 150.

I think I'm going to make it my goal for tomorrow to stay under 100 carbs.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I have stay <50 carbs, so you are in tall cotton as they say down south.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast