Thread: Am i eating to little fat? page

Hvrafnur is offline Junior Member

Am i eating to little fat?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone! Started my Paleo only 4 days agoo! I've been into a "low carb high fat diet" before. But that "allows" Dairy products. So, if i where low on fat, just add some cream. But with Paleo or "primal" im not sure if im doing it "right"
    What i ate yesterday:
    151g of protein
    90g carbs (a bit to much)
    118g of fat
    (My wieght is 187lbs)

And excuse my bad english (from sweden). Any answer is much apriciated!

EricS is offline Member
    Fat cals 1062 52.4%
    Carb cals 360 17.7%
    Protein cals 604 29.8%

Total 2026

Looks pretty good to me

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Your percentage fat in relation to carbs and protein is just fine. But, depending on your goals and activity level, you may need to adjust how much you are eating total - less if you are not active and trying to lose weight, and more if you are very active or trying to build muscle.

Some people here eat dairy, some don't. After you've been off dairy for 30 days, you can always try adding in some dairy back to your diet and seeing how you feel. If you are ethnically Swedish, there's a pretty good chance you have the genes for lactose tolerance.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Thanks for the answers! Yes, I can handle the lactose, but don't know if it's "good" for anyone to eat it?
    My goal is to gain muscle and strength without adding fat I am at about 15% fat atm.

What do all you other people eat to get the fat?

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Personally I would reduce the protein a little and increase the fat, but it's "somewhat" personal preference. And if you're not allergic to dairy, then why not have some heavy cream? If you're healthy and feeling good, then you're prolly doin it right.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    Personally I would reduce the protein a little and increase the fat, but it's "somewhat" personal preference. And if you're not allergic to dairy, then why not have some heavy cream? If you're healthy and feeling good, then you're prolly doin it right.
    ah unless you're trying to lose weight, then yes, you may want to cut fat a little. I tend to eat a lot of coconut myself, both fresh coconut and coconut oil. Olive oil too. Usually I eat 3 eggs a day too, even if you're trying to lose weight, eating a few eggs a day is a good idea as it has been shown to help promote weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    Reduce protein? Isnt it optimal to eat at least 1g protein/1 lbs fat free bw, if you are to build muscle?
    Hmm, maybe I got it wrong?

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvrafnur View Post
    Reduce protein? Isnt it optimal to eat at least 1g protein/1 lbs fat free bw, if you are to build muscle?
    Hmm, maybe I got it wrong?
    A lot of people will tell you that, but I've been there and tried it for years without much to show. I believe that fat intake is just as important for gaining muscle, muscle is composed of both fat and protein after all and your body can only process so much protein per day before it starts to become toxic above a certain amount. 1g/1lb is prolly mostly safe, but may not be necessary. Right now, I'm eating about 0.5g/1lb myself with a very high sat fat intake and I'm seeing more muscle gain than I had in months.

If you're trying to both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, then a high protein intake along with a reduction in fat and carb intake is definitely desirable, but possibly not the healthiest long term.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend not worrying too much about changing anything right now. You've already made a huge change - going Paleo! Give your body some time to adjust to the change, and see how your results are. If you aren't getting the results you want, then you can start worrying about the little details.

I get my fat from a lot of different sources: fatty cuts of beef, fatty fish, eggs, dairy from grassfed cows and goats (especially butter and ghee), coconut oil, coconut milk, avocados, and olive oil. I also get some fat from nuts, fatty poultry and pork, and dark chocolate, but I try not to eat too much of those things since they aren't quite as healthy.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

PrimalCon New York
    I will do some shopping this weekend, get that coconut
    I'm having a hard time getting the kcal i need. So therefore i want every kcal to be "right". Anyone else feels they have to "force feed"?