Thread: Scientific meat? page

shastagirl Guest

Shop Now

Does anyone else find this article disturbing?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...NjaWVuY2VzYw--

sorry for the weird long link. but this has got me worried about the future for our children.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

This is disturbing, but unlikely to replace traditional sources of meat. At least not for a long, long time.

"If every package of naturally grown meat by law should have the text, 'Beware, animals have been killed for this product,' I can imagine a gradual cultural shift"

I should certainly hope animals were killed for my MEAT product, sheesh.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

ChristopherPlank Guest

Interesting article.

As long as they're "feeding" the meat properly, I really don't see what would be so bad about that strategy.

It could eliminate contamination problems, as well as health problems with the animals from horrible farming conditions, and it would allow meat to be produced locally in pretty much any location, cutting down on the environmental impact on land, as well as from long-distance transportation.

As long as the meat that is produced can be biochemically the same as meat off a live animal, I don't see a problem with it.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Doesn't bother me a bit. Not exactly soylent green.

They are the same cells with the same molecules. Big deal.

And where, pray tell, do good PB'ers think all that animal protein will come from as the world (Hallelujah chorus, please!) stops eating grains and shifts to meat?

My concerns would be more in the political and economic lines. And they'll probably figure out how to put sugar in it, LOL!

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

The world will never stop eating grains. If people want lab-created meat, fine, just don't outlaw real animal products. I could see the potential benefit for people like me: decrease in overall demand for natural meat leads to decrease in supply, so less conglomerated animal farms, improved overall quality of natural meat. This works if lab meat is cheaper than real meat, the morality issue will not be the main driving force.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

nickh is offline Junior Member

Wow, that's pretty creepy. If lab-grown meat turns out to be cheaper than "normally-grown" meat, there are many obvious benefits for poorer people. However, I don't think I'd be jumping on this bandwagon any time soon.