Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digestive Issues page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Digestive Issues

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for around 3 weeks now and am still struggling in the digestion department.

I find myself not needing the toilet for 2-3 days, although I don't feel overly constipated (just a shade bloated) and then find myself suffering from mild diarrhoea for the next few days. This cycle just keeps repeating...

Excluding a couple of meals out (where I've tried to pick Primal-ish dishes), I've been pretty much 100% primal. Fat is 60-70% of calories, protein is 20-30% (always at least 1g/lb LBM), carbs are the remainder (sub 100g though).

I'm also supplementing with Omega 3, Vitamin D3, Multivitamins, and Probiotics.

I've read that adjustment to Primal eating can take a week or so, but is what I am experiencing common?

Any advice much appreciated.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    If you had digestive issues before going paleo/primal you might be experiencing some "die off" symptoms which a lot of people get. If your digestion was always pretty good then you may just need to add in more veggies to help with your transit time and get things moving along nicely.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I find I have a lot less waste than I had when I ate grains, and that seems typical.
    I had a period of random diarrhea, which sucked, but that ended after a few weeks.

I would recommend taking some kind of gut flora thing. I did the one from Primal Nutrition and it did help settle me out quite a bit.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Or upping your magnesium
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Somewhere along the line, CW told us we were abnormal for not using the bathroom every day
    If you're not constipated this is not a problem but yeah veggies help

5waltersm is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    I find I have a lot less waste than I had when I ate grains, and that seems typical.
    I had a period of random diarrhea, which sucked, but that ended after a few weeks.

I would recommend taking some kind of gut flora thing. I did the one from Primal Nutrition and it did help settle me out quite a bit.
    i found i had something similar but it went after a while, it sucks but you get over it

Thanks for all the advice guys (and girls). I'm already taking probiotics, so I have that aspect covered. I'm eating a fair bit of veg too, but a bit more won't hurt I suspect. Finally I'll pick up some Mg too as have now read in several places that it might help out.

Other than that, I guess I'll have to wait it out. Really just wanted to check symptoms weren't abnormal for the adjustment.

Thanks again

Uhhh... further reading suggests Mg is a laxative and can cause diarrhoea... now uncertain as to whether it is a good idea given current problems

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    my opinion, one of your veggies is causing the diarehha and constipation...this happened to me before with salsa and mushrooms(not together but both caused the same problem). try easily digested veggeies, stay away from skins

l glutamine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    my opinion, one of your veggies is causing the diarehha and constipation...this happened to me before with salsa and mushrooms(not together but both caused the same problem). try easily digested veggeies, stay away from skins

l glutamine
    I hadn't even considered something like this...

I eat a fair bit of the following fruit and veg:

Blueberries, strawberries, avocado, sasla (usually mixed with the avocado), sweet potato (with skin), mange tout, broccoli, onions, red peppers, & spinach. I eat others, but these are easily what I eat most.

Are any of these thought to be problematic (I know you mentioned salsa MalPaz)? What veg is considered easily digestible? Also, does the way they are cooked (or not cooked) affect digestibility?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast