Thread: question for the trainers or anyone who know anatomy (and weight training) page

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

question for the trainers or anyone who know anatomy (and weight training)

Primal Fuel
    So, I was squatting today, which was probably a mistake since I had about 36 hours less rest than I usually have. While squatting, I felt a strain in my groin (adductor muscle) on one side. Of course, I did a few more reps to finish the set! (I"m a guy, intelligence doesn't come easy). (ok, I admit it, I did another set too.)

It's clearly a strain, nothing torn and I'll give it at least a week to heal. The question is whether conventional deadlifts will strain the adductor as well. I would think not with the narrower stance and toes not pointing out so much. A sumo stance clearly would, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I would think you'll be alright with deads.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I would stay away from doing squats or deads (or really any leg exercises) until the groin recovers. If you can't bear the idea of missing a leg workout, you could always try a few light ones and see how it feels. If it hurts though, you'd probably be best to back off.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Thanks Al. I just checked out Exrx.com and it lists the adductors as synergists in both squats and deads. I will take your advice and start very light and if it feels ok, keep going until I feel anything and then stop.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The real question is why did this happen in the first place. IME strains on one side of the body point towards technical imbalances.

I agree with Coach. Definitely adress why it happened in the first place. try to video yourself and watch it back. and i agree with Al too. stay away from anything heavy until you recover. go for walks, ride a bike, and try some light stretching in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    The real question is why did this happen in the first place. IME strains on one side of the body point towards technical imbalances.
    that's a fair point. I think on some of the heavier weights the legs do push somewhat unevenly, not sure why. Videotaping isn't really feasible at this point, so I may just back off the heavy weight and work on technique at lower weights for a little while, once healed.

I should note that I did 220 on Monday night without any pain, so I think this might also be just overuse/not enough rest for me (I usually lift 2x week, Sun AM --> Thurs AM, this time did it monday night). I suspect I'll feel it on both sides later. When I sumo deadlift, I feel it on the adductors on both sides. So, while I may have some technical imbalance, I think it's somewhat slight.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Wait until you are completely pain free though, otherwise you might just perpetuate the problem. So two weeks might not be enough - could be as long as 4-6

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you can squat again w/o pain, I'd work through it.