Thread: 45% Less Saturated Fat Than Olive Oil...but page

GrokNRoller is offline Junior Member

Angry 45% Less Saturated Fat Than Olive Oil...but

Primal Fuel
    Here's what Flora are marketing in the UK - They're going after Olive Oil now!

Flora Cuisine

Annoying...another thing to explain to family and friends.

Posted here for the Primal Community to pick apart.

Enjoy!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Did you see this headline:
    Flora launches non-Spitting cooking oil with less fat
    Flora launches non-spitting cooking oil with less fat

As if that's the most important aspect of a cooking oil - that it doesn't spit!
    It's a combo of linseed (flaxseed), rapeseed (canola) and sunflower oil. Didnt think you could heat flax. Think I'll stick to butter, olive oil, ghee, coconut oil.

GrokNRoller is offline Junior Member
    Hi Sue,

Thanks for the link - I find that filling the pan with meat covers the oil to stop it spitting

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is great but not good to cook with as it is very delicate , it changes the flavour etc....better to add it better to add it after to food.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Aargghhh. Shame is that people believe this guff!

My mother has always been one of them - fat-phobic and believing everything she reads in the daily mail. She's just been diagnosed with high cholesterol (strange, if you believe CW, since she has cut every visible shred of fat off everything and cooked with as little fat as possible for years!). I had another conversation with her this weekend about eating more healthy fats and, after questioning coconut oil for being a saturated fat, I actually think I got through to her. I don't think she'll be going primal anytime soon, but if I can get her to eat avocados, butter and cook with coconut oil without fearing for her life, get her to eat less bread and stop buying that kind of plastic margarine nonsense, I'll feel much better.

There are laws against false advertising in the UK, but it's tricky when the government are spouting the same lies.

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    That advert irritates the brown squidgy stuff out of me, I've got to turn over as soon as it appears, no matter what I'm watching, just because it annoys me so much!

And you're right spuggygirl, the gullible will take all that crap in, thinking its the gospal.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    Aargghhh. Shame is that people believe this guff!

My mother has always been one of them - fat-phobic and believing everything she reads in the daily mail. She's just been diagnosed with high cholesterol (strange, if you believe CW, since she has cut every visible shred of fat off everything and cooked with as little fat as possible for years!). I had another conversation with her this weekend about eating more healthy fats and, after questioning coconut oil for being a saturated fat, I actually think I got through to her. I don't think she'll be going primal anytime soon, but if I can get her to eat avocados, butter and cook with coconut oil without fearing for her life, get her to eat less bread and stop buying that kind of plastic margarine nonsense, I'll feel much better.

There are laws against false advertising in the UK, but it's tricky when the government are spouting the same lies.
    Question for the board: if you could convince a SAD friend to do only one thing, is it better to cut down on bread/wheat, or start eating better fats? I believe that Mark wrote that just switching to coconut oil is the single best thing to do, healthwise. But as we know, if you don't know what to look for, those health effects are largely invisible. I'm afraid that the combination of butter/CO/oil without reducing carbs is likely to make a SAD gain weight, which is VERY visible. And they would be more likely to blame the coconut oil, not the bread, swear off Primal, and go back to margerine.

It's hard to call something false advertising when there aren't solid standards to compare against. In the US there are good definitions for "artificial" or "imitation," so companies can't make false claims. But we have no standards as to what will lower cholesterol (assuming we even want to lower cholesterol) or what is heart-healthy. So SAD food companies are free to manipulate the language however they want.

The American Heart Association even has a "heart healthy" label which a company can pay the AHA to plaster on the product box. They talk about this in Fathead.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Most of my friends are on the extra virgin olive oil train already, so I'd just convince them to go no-grains.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think most people understand omega 3s and heart healthy fats, it's a bigger issue to try to talk them away from the whole grain concept.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."