Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hashimoto's Disease/Paraplegic/Veggie oh and ex pro athlete...Advice please page

PrimalWheels is offline Junior Member

Question Hashimoto's Disease/Paraplegic/Veggie oh and ex pro athlete...Advice please

Primal Fuel
    Hi All

I have been researching into Paleo/Primal way of life for a little while now, trying to discover the answer to get me back to top condition... I am looking for advice on foods that agrovate the antibodies associated with Hashimoto`s Disease and overall improve, if not cure this without medication.

I dont know where to start so any advice would be brilliant...

A little back ground on myself...
    I am 27 living in the UK
    I am a tetraplegic ( paralysed after an accident 17 years ago,legs dont work, use a wheelchair)
    I am an ex pro paralympic athlete (finished competeing after an extreme shoulder dislocation)
    I am vegetarian.. have started to try little bits of meat, fish and eggs
    I love to swim, kayak, paddle board, kite surf when I can...
    I would love to move like Grok but I cant squat for example ( pull ups,push ups..all good!)
    I have gained 15kg/33lb in less than a year....
    And yesterday I was diagnosed with Hashimoto`s Disease....

And now my journey begins......I want 1 month to try changing through paleo before considering medication.
    Last edited by PrimalWheels; 05-26-2011 at 03:36 AM.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWheels View Post
    I am looking for advice on foods that agrovate the antibodies associated with Hashimoto`s Disease and overall improve, if not cure this without medication... And yesterday I was diagnosed with Hashimoto`s Disease....
    Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part I | Perfect Health Diet

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Any one with any auto -immune antibodies should be gluten free. Also do some gut work. Good idea to see a naturopath for supplements.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    See a doc before going off meds. You could fall into a fatal coma if your levels get too low.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You may be able to normalize your thyroid levels with certain supplements. But there is nothing wrong with taking thyroid meds if you really need them.

Thankyou for the replys so far...... I have not started medication, I told the doctor I wanted to try a more natural way first...paleo.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Could you tell us more about why this was the diagnosis? What tests, what upper/lower ranges?

Did you read up on the symptoms and do you agree?

Dr K's book is popular and he talks a lot about finding the root cause- Optimal Treatment for Hypothyroidism - Dr. Datis Kharrazian Shares Thoughts About The Best Way to Treat an Underactive Thyroid and Hypothyroidism

I see a doc that works for this guy- Optimal Treatment for Hypothyroidism - Dr. Kent Holtorf Shares Thoughts About The Best Way to Treat an Underactive Thyroid and Hypothyroidism

I'm going to have to disagree with Sue on the naturopath approach, unless you have some way of knowing that one you pick knows the thyroid better than your doctor. This may not be hard to do, since a lot of thyroid drs in the US and the UK are terrible. I am all for using supplements and staying natural, but when I read that homeopathy is part of naturopathy, sorry, that is about as bad as telling someone that rubbing two sticks together and chanting is going to cure them.

Hashimoto's/hypothyroid is unfortunately not a condition that typically turns itself around due to supplements, unless there is a mis-diagnosis..entirely possible.

I have had thyriod hormones tested and also 2 antibodies test, I was told my thyriod hormones were low but in the normal range but my antibodies where very high.... I wont get the actual figures until Tuesday.

I have read the sysmtoms and I agree entirely, I have gained 1stone 10lbs since having, what I thought was flu, back in October... I have all the symptoms. I just downloaded Doctor K`s book and I will be reading through it, the reason I started looking into Paleo back in January was becuase of how I was feeling but at the time I had been miss diagnosed with imbalanced hormones.

I want to find the root cause not rely on heavy medication.... I want to use fuel to boost my body then surely any medication that I do need to take will then surely work better......Am I wrong?

Has anyone else got Hashimotos Disease? and living a primal life?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I'm on meds for both thyroid (Hypo) and adrenal fatigue. I see a doc that is really good as far as supplements and diet as well, not just meds.

You can read what I ended up doing here-

dietforhumans.com: My Diet and Plan

Primal is the right approach. I think you are on the right track with the Dr K book, but if hormones are off and you have a good doc, don't cling to the idea that you will be better off without meds. Just avoid synthetic meds like Synthroid and make sure you have a good doc that will help you keep things natural, or get a new doc.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    First of all, Hashimoto's is a disease; hypothyroid is a condition. You can have Hashimoto's and not yet be hypothyroid (low on thyroid hormones), but you will eventually. That's why a poster asked about your thyroid hormone levels.

Since this is a disease that is not curable, you better start understanding it now. A sensitivity to gluten is often associated with Hashimoto's but does not affect everyone. Other than that, what you eat will not improve or worsen this autoimmune disease.

However, if your hormone levels are too low (hypothyroid), then you indeed can die from this. The "meds" your doctor will prescribe are not meds at all. They are supplemental "hormones" to replace the ones your thyroid isn't producing.

Your thyroid controls your metabolism and affects a variety of bodily systems, so this is nothing to fool around with. There is nothing OTC that will help if you need supplemental hormones. So please drop the notion that you want to treat this without 'meds.'

You need to be pro-active in your care and treatment, retaining every lab report and keeping a record of your treatment.

Unlike the previous poster, I have no problem with synthetic hormones. I have been optimized on Levoxyl and Cytomel for several years and have an excellent endo who monitors my treatment with regular blood tests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast