Thread: School Experiment regarding bloodwork and Paleo - I need your input! page

Balance is offline Senior Member

School Experiment regarding bloodwork and Paleo - I need your input!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys. I have a big project coming up for one of my nutrition classes. I wanted to get some data from the perspective of our primal/paleo community here. I wanted to gather a bunch of data regarding lipid panel bloodwork and analyze them. If you guys would be kind enough to share some of your blood work I would greatly appreciate it and when I am done I will gladly share my results.

You guys can just copy and paste and fill in your info.

HDL:
    LDL:
    Total Cholesterol :
    Triglycerides
    HgA1c:

How long have you been eating Paleo/Primal?
    How often do you “cheat” with simple carbs/sugar?
    Do you eat conventional meat or grass fed meat?
    Do you consume 3+ servings of nuts a week?
    Do you consume any dairy? And how often?
    Do you eat fish 3+ times a week?
    Do you take fish oil supplements? How often?
    Do you exercise regularly? What types and how often?
    Did you have any pre-existing condition that drew you to this way of eating? Has it improved?

You guys can answer any questions you like and elaborate as much as you want.

My project isn't due for another 2 months but I am starting early to get the data and analyze it. It will be great for a lot of this community to see the typical bloodwork of its members and maybe see some trends when certain things are done or not done. Thanks again for participating!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    HDL: 49
    LDL: 131
    Total Cholesterol : 192
    Triglycerides: 53

Cholesterol was last measured on 11/19/2010 with a VAP test.

HgA1c: 5.2

Doctor says: You're not diabetic any more. Highest HgA1c was 8.7 in August 2009.

How long have you been eating Paleo/Primal? Almost two years - in August 2011 it will be two years.

How often do you “cheat” with simple carbs/sugar? Never. The closest I ever get is a piece of dark chocolate once or twice a week, or a few berries.

Do you eat conventional meat or grass fed meat? Conventional. Can't afford the good stuff right now.

Do you consume 3+ servings of nuts a week? Yes.

Do you consume any dairy? And how often? Yes, daily, some hard cheese and some half-and-half in my coffee.

Do you eat fish 3+ times a week? Only canned tuna, and not that often. I hate all other fish.

Do you take fish oil supplements? How often? No.

Do you exercise regularly? What types and how often? I walk every day as much as I need to. I do not do focused exercise.

Did you have any pre-existing condition that drew you to this way of eating? Has it improved? Diabetes, arthritis, migraines, obesity, IBS, depression... all of them have vastly improved and/or disappeared.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    HDL: 3.1mmol/L
    LDL: Not measured
    Total Cholesterol :6.7mmol/L
    Triglycerides: 0.8mmol/L
    HgA1c: Unknown

How long have you been eating Paleo/Primal? 18 months
    How often do you “cheat” with simple carbs/sugar? I eat potato regularly, ala PHD
    Do you eat conventional meat or grass fed meat? Australia has a clean meat supply, though some is grain finished
    Do you consume 3+ servings of nuts a week? No
    Do you consume any dairy? And how often? Daily - yoghurt and/or hard cheese
    Do you eat fish 3+ times a week? Yes
    Do you take fish oil supplements? How often? No
    Do you exercise regularly? What types and how often? 6km walk, 5 days/wk, 2xLHT per week, 1 x sprints per week, kayaking
    Did you have any pre-existing condition that drew you to this way of eating? Has it improved? Artherosclerosis. Difficult to be definite as objective measures aren't readily available
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses so far Griff and Peril. Keep them coming I need more data!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.