Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks in and a question about appetite page

gumbogirl is offline Member

2 weeks in and a question about appetite

Primal Fuel
    Hi PBers. I started PB 2 weeks ago but just finished reading the book a few days ago. I have low carbed off and on since I was 20 yrs old. I'm 53 now. The only times I've been a good weight were when I was low carb. I obviously have a addiction to grains but denial is really strong! I even went gluten free last year but continued to eat rice and corn and starches and saw no improvement and no weight loss.

I gained 35 lbs in the last 3 years while going through menopause. I am now on Armour thyroid (2 grains), bioidentical prog/est/test cream, and oral progesterone. At my last doctors appt my CRP was 4, cholesterol was 254, trigl were 155, and blood pressure was high. I've never had such awful labs before and it really freaked me out. Convinced me to go back to what always worked in the past.

I really love the PB lifestyle recommendations and especially the exercise recommendations. I hate cardio but I have been weight training for 6 years. I have a trainer through my employer and I train twice a week for an hour, even now that I'm almost too fat! I have a hip/feet problem that makes it very uncomfortable for me even to walk. I can do a recumbant bike but haven't been consistent with it. I sit at a desk all day for work. My trainer pushes cardio but when I started doing it and injured myself and took 3 months to heal he backed off. I can start back on the stationary bike now and just go slowly and still feel like it's beneficial now that I've read PB. I didn't do it because I thought I had to go "all out" for it to do any good.

Sorry this is long, but I do have an issue. I have been having headaches the last 4 or 5 days and feeling sluggish. I thought I was eating plenty and am feeling satisfied. But I just logged in my food in Fitday and I only have had 1019 calories today. Probably the same for the last few days at least. Just wondering if I should make myself eat more even though I'm not hungry? I almost feel nauseated so I probably should eat more carbs (had 30 total today) but it's hard to get more carbs without adding starches. Also, I am not losing weight any more. I lost 9 lbs the first week (7 of those were gained in a week on a recent cruise) but things have stalled. In the past I always dieted extreme and lost weight on 900 to 1000 calories per day. Seems it won't work for me anymore, and I don't think it's healthy! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Love this forum!!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a clear case of the carb flu. Hopefully it won't last much longer for you. You should be taking in more calories. Make sure you're getting enough fat and protein.

If you want to add a few carbs, use 1/2 a sweet potato, a small white potato, or a cup of white rice. Make sure to put butter on them

Your weightloss has probably stalled because you're not taking in enough food.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

ashleybrown is offline Junior Member
    Well, I can provide you information related to skin, skin infection, and antibiotic soap. For more information please reply.

John smeth is offline Junior Member
    Hey man, that happened to me with one band whose name I can't remember. As you can tell already, it's a completely unremarkable story, so I'll just leave it there...

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    You're definitely not eating enough, even by CW standards. Your symptoms are probably a combination of under-eating and "carb flu" (I don't have any personal experience with the latter, since I started PB to try and ameliorate fibromyalgia - which causes me to be sluggish, brain foggy, fatigued and sore, masking any low-carb symptoms, plus I was already eating pretty low-carb to begin with). Like belinda said, sweet potatoes are pretty awesome. My favorite prepration is to cube them, toss them in olive oil, paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic powders, poultry seasoning and a dash of chile powder, then bake.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others... Carb flu sucked. It's difficult to eat too much when you're not eating grains, I bet if you fit a delicious healthy protein shake somewhere in your day you would feel better

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    EAT. MORE. Fer the love of nothing holy, you aren't even giving your body enough to survive, let alone thrive. Carb flu may play into it, but the critical thing right now is EAT. MORE.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

gumbogirl is offline Member
    I really want to eat more. After I posted I ate a banana with some almond butter and my headache was gone in 5 minutes!!. Hopefully when I start eating more I'll have a better appetite. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Except for John smeth - no idea what you're talkin about.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbogirl View Post
    I really want to eat more. After I posted I ate a banana with some almond butter and my headache was gone in 5 minutes!!. Hopefully when I start eating more I'll have a better appetite. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Except for John smeth - no idea what you're talkin about.
    He's a spammer.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Rachel_k is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried eating more fat? I don't do coconut oil right from the jar, I mix it with cocoa and a touch of honey - but also try some green veggies bathed in it or butter, increasing your usual eggs from say 2 to 4, getting a nice fatty cut of meat like a ribeye for dinner? I don't think you necessarily have to eat more carbs, try eating more protein and fat. Shrimp dipped in melted butter is another great one.

good luck! this too shall pass!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast