Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could going primal trigger dairy intolerance? page

PaleoMum is offline Member

Shop Now

I've always had GI problems, including a very severe wheat intolerance for 10 years. But I've always eaten a lot of dairy (milk on breakfast cereal, cheese etc) and never had a problem.

Went primal a couple of months ago. For the first few weeks I cut out practically all dairy except milk in tea. My bowels were marvellous. Then some dairy crept back in. I started having a bit of wind and diahorrea, but didn't link the two.

Anyway, last weekend my mum came to stay. She LOVES cheese, so I bought brie, goats cheese, stilton, double gloucester... it was so delicious, I had loads. Next day: explosive diahorrea and stomach cramps so bad I couldn't go to work.

But can it really be true? Can I really have gone from having no dairy issues to a full-blown intolerance in just a few weeks, without even having fully given it up at any point? Help!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I used to do great with dairy until I cut it out for several months. I can still eat butter and cheese, but I get a nasty belly ache from milk, ice cream, and yogurt.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I don't think it's necessarily a dairy intolerance as such, but you've gone from cutting out practically all dairy, to having a bit, to having a lot in a weekend. Your body isn't used to that type of food any more, so it's rebelled.

I do feel your pain. I ate something the other day that I hadn't eaten since going primal nearly 7 weeks ago and I paid the consequences the next day.

I think the key is just to have the cheese in moderation - which after all is probably the best way to go health-wise in any case.

I am dairy intolerant, but I do have a tiny bit of cheese every now and again. I used to eat it every day!

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Dairy contains two potential troublemakers. The first is the sugar, lactose. After mammals are weaned, the enzyme lactase naturally is no longer produced. When humans continually consume dairy, the enzyme sticks around, though not in everyone. The "lactose intolerance" label is really a description of the natural process of shutting down that enzyme. In your case, you might have been producing enough lactase to get by but when you stopped dairy for a bit, your cells finally shut off the enzyme. When you tried again, you may not have been producing enough or any to digest the lactose.

The second culprit is the protein casein found in dairy. It has a high structural correlation to gluten, the protein in several grains. If you are intolerant to gluten, your body may react to casein as if it is gluten. Mine does - I am apparently fine with lactose, but my body does react to casein like it does to gluten.

Try almond milk - I have found it to be a satisfying replacement. Goat and sheep cheeses are low in casein as well and I can usually tolerate those well in small amounts.

bobbylight Guest

I really hope not. I am going to drink a big glass of milk this morning to make sure my stomach can handle it.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Good luck with that, bobbylight! I think some people are more sensitive than others, so you might be fine!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

@ lbd

Great info. Do you remember where you came across it?

@blight

Don't get to far from a bathroom haha!

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Chima_p - I have done a lot of research on gluten because I am gluten intolerant. I belong to a forum on gluten sensitivity that focuses on research (Gluten Free and Beyond). There is quite a bit of research showing gluten intolerance and casein intolerance are linked. It is thought that gluten sets up the initial conditions for the autoimmune system to react to casein because of its structural similarity to gluten. From my own personal experience, my migraines (2-3 per week) have virtually disappeared since giving up both gluten and casein. I tolerate goat and sheep cheese better than any others and these are low in casein compared to cow's milk. If I overdo those however, I will often get the telltale migraine the next morning. There are lots of paleo/primal folks popping up on the gluten free forums, which is what led me here. And I am quite thankful for that as PB has seemed to be the ultimate answer to health for me, but I am still a work in progress

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Don't lump the goat cheese in with the rest of it; there's no lactose in goat milk.

I'm lactose intolerant but I handle goat milk/cheese with no problem.

I just had a half cup of La Loo Lemon Chiffon Goat Milk ice cream. Hit the spot after the spicy curry I had burning my mouth.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

Hmm, Ive never tried goats milk products before, and have been meaning to after I 'quit dairy'. As per your comment, dragonmamamma, Im going to grab some tomorw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast