Thread: No More Excuses Journal! page

Rachel_k is offline Junior Member

No More Excuses Journal!

Primal Fuel
    Hello Everyone - thanks so much to you all of being such a supportive and knowledgable community. I've lurked around here for a long time and have learned a lot in the process.

I'll keep it breif here, I've always been heavy, topped out at around 160-165 at my heaviest in high school. Went vegetarian (and discovered some very heavy partying) and slimmed way down to around 128 when I started college. I was never athletic, I suck at sports and was the one at the very end of the 1 mile fitness test in school.

I kept fairly slim in college leaving school at around 130-135 and the size I'd like to say is my goal - although I didn't have much strength or tone at that point.

Life happens, fast forward, and I've now been happily married for 2.5 years and have gone from a happy size on my wedding day of 138-140ish to hovering around 150-155. Husband and I made a major move 6 months ago and the transition has been hard.

I finally decided to try primal during the month of February, with some success I lost 6 pounds but managed to quit, start eating grains and sugar again and gain it all back.

I'm DONE with making excuses to myself and saying it's too hard and I can't do it. Now is the time to take charge of my life and today is the day.

I decided June would be my redidacation month with a whole-30style no cheats mentality and I got a head start this week.

I have been 100% primal /paleo for 3 days now and feel great. On my earlier experiment I was eatling a lot of cheese, raw milk, nuts and more fruit than someone who wants to lose weight should be going near.

So my plan is - limit dairy to butter for cooking and cream for my morning decaf coffee. I have had a few bites of local fresh goat cheese, because I originally planned to start June 1 so the fridge isn't cleaned out yet. My other objective is to keep carbs low, under 50 grams, for as long as I feel good doing it. Getting off the insulin rollercoaster is finally within sight.

I am amazed at how good I feel and how satisfied I am!

I'll wrap this up here and will continue with progress posts and questions.

I LOVE to cook and am very excited to share recipes and techniques.

Food breakdown days 1-3

I am feeling amazing, and really hope this continues.

day 1 -
    decaf coffee with cream (x2)
    skipped breakfast
    BAS with a small steak, sliced tomato and cucumber, homemade dressing
    black tea and a few tablespoons almonds
    sliced small tomato
    lamb burger patty with caramelized onions, roasted cauliflower and butter sauteed yellow squash

1568 calories, 122 grams fat, 43 grams carbs, 76 grams protein

Day 2

decaf coffee with cream x2
    1 locally made pork sausage
    whole can skipjack tuna with mayo and celery, salad with viniagrette
    black tea and a few almonds
    leftover lamb burger and yellow squash, 1/2 avocado

1710 calories - 140 grams fat - 27 grams carbs - 82 grams protein

Went to an hour outdoor bootcamp class (1 hr), circuit work, lots of jumping squats etc and hill sprints

Day 3

Decaf with cream x2
    2 eggs fried in butter, 2 peices bacon
    slow cooked pork shoulder, 1/2 avocado, green salsa, sliced cucumber and carrot sticks
    small wedge of honeydew melon (one danger of my work - I'm in sales for an organic produce distributor)
    a few bites of local fresh goat cheese, spoonful of almond butter
    sauteed snow peas and onions in sesame oil, and shrimp with garlic and butter

1563 cal - 106 g fat - 45 g carbs - 103 g protein

I feel very good, and even with calculation errors or underreporting (which I'm trying very hard not to do, I'm writing each morsel that goes into my mouth in a little notebook and calculating in the evening. Planning out the next day's lunch as well) I am right on track to keep my overall calories in check, and carbs under 50g. Although it would be nice, I'm really not jonesing for my usual after dinner peice of ghiradelli 72%.

Going to bootcamp again tomorrow night, and planning to workout on my own on Friday and Sunday. I would love to join crossfit but it just doesn't fit my budget right now, and I'm still fairly intimidated.

As of this morning I'd lost about 3 pounds - even if it is water, I'm so happy! My goal is to fit into my clothes again, not chafe on a hot day wearing a skirt (ladies you know what I mean!!) and to get back to or under 140. Any or all of the above in combination!

I have a family event this weekend and am already planning to bring my low carb beverages, skewered meat to grill and a big tray of vegetables with a non dairy dip so that I can fend off the birthday cake for my sister in law and other junky SAD foods. I'm also planning to be extremely low carb for the beginning of that day just to hopefully not go over my 50g benchmark.

thanks for reading! Just writing here makes me feel more empowered.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You sound like you're really doing great! Keep it up!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Go for it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

RachelZoe is offline Senior Member
    You can do this! I've rededicated myself as well, and my boyfriend is coming along for the ride soon!

PumpkinHead is offline Junior Member
    I am just in the process of getting serious about this eating/lifestyle plan, too, and found your post incredibly inspiring (even if it's just been 3 days!) Every time I read a story like yours, it resonates with me and makes me think I can do it, too. This community is so beyond awesome - I feel like it's much more supportive than other communities that support the same ideas (I've encountered a lot of "negative" help - meaning people attacking you for eating a chickpea or something).

So thank you, as well, for sharing your story and inspiring others! Good luck!

Thanks everyone! It feels great to finally participate and not just read.

today was crazy at work and I didn't have lunch until 2:30 (usually eat right at 12:30) but I was suprisingly ok. Haven't had dinner yet so wil do calorie counts later. It's stormy here so no bootcamp : ( but am planning to get up early to workout in the AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went off the wagon pretty badly over Memorial day weekend. No i didn't trip and fall into a cake, I willfully ate the cake, drank the beer and ate the chips. Yes I know better, and no I don't know why. that's why I'm here LOL.

I have had a bad phase of not exercising like I used to (really this has been for 6+ months since my husband and I moved) and I really feel the need to get back into a good routine. I used to get up early and go to the gym 3-5 days a week, without fail, and most saturdays as well. Life really does get in the way, the stress of moving and job searching and my personal struggles with work (I've found jobs, jsut crappy ones so I'm still looking) as well as larger life stress of do I want to go back to school (and for what? what is my calling?) or do I want to be (and can we afford for me to be) a stay at home mom (once we start procreating that is!)

I KNOW in my heart that more exercise wold help clear my head as well as improve my body image and how I feel, I'm just struggling to get going and stick with a routine. I also KNOW that weight loss is 80-90% what you eat and really really want to get a handle on my diet and stick to it for once.

thanks for being there to listen everyone.