Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program for girlfriend? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Program for girlfriend?

Primal Fuel
    So my girlfriend has given me permission to "kick her ass." She's decided she needs a push at the gym, and she wants me to come up with something to help her out.

She wants, for sure, to work on her abs and her legs. Basically, she wants to tone those areas up.

Should we acknowledge that spot reduction is all but a myth and put together something that's just going to get her overall body fat % down?

Or, should we focus on building muscle in those areas?

Any suggestions for a program/routine we could follow would be great too.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Should we acknowledge that spot reduction is all but a myth and put together something that's just going to get her overall body fat % down?
    Yes.

2 days full body strength training focusing on Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pullups, pushups, dips. (pick a push, pull and squat for each session)
    1 day hill sprints 8 x 75-100 meters
    1 day yoga (have her join a studio)

Keep the diet tight and she will be where she wants to be in about a year.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Ditto. I did 2 days of heavy lifting, 1 day of sprints and 1 day of tabata style intervals to whip myself into shape. If I take out the sprints and intervals but lift 2 x's week and walk whenever possible, I maintain. But it was the diet that actually brought about the weight loss and true changes in body comp.

I don't know your gf, but I can't emphasize enough the need to really push it with heavy weights. If she's never lifted before, she needs to get comfortable with the lifts, but eventually when her form is set, she needs to push. it. If you feel like you could skip around the room after a session of squats, deadlifts, and bench, you did not work hard enough. I can barely walk upstairs from my basement. Not that I'm in pain, but I'm *that* exhausted. Oh, and have her look around at stumptuous.com if she wants some good information.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure she said kick and not lick?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Thanks!

I'll have to see what her limitations are with the weights. She has some knee issues, so I don't know if squats can happen, but that's really similar to what I do, so that would be a really nice place to start.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    make sure she is squatting to full depth so she doesn't hurt her knees. squats and press and deadlift will all work her legs and abs. my abs are always sore the day after press.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I had knee issues so for now I just squat with my body weight. I also use powerplate and the bosu ball to create an uneven surface and I can really feel my abs working hard when the surface is unstable. I have changed from "jogging" and "steady state cardio" to sprints only (500m x 2 - yuck..well its only a sprint for the first and last 100m when I do it LOL!!!! I'm training to try to pass a test). Knee feels a bit better, don't know if it is that.

What type of exercise has she been doing thus far? Is she up for weights? I can really recommend weights for girls - get her to look at some of our posts. Some observations..I love to lift as heavy as possible until your arms feel sick. You can really feel the core engaging as well when you lift which was something I didn't realise before. No need to do boring sit ups or long drawn out cardio either. Also pull ups and push ups are good. Weight training has totally changed my shape and its great if more girls are considering it. You can really get fab thighs from it!! And my abs are on their way!! And this is coming from a former pot bellied pig

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing 15 minute body weight sessions -- pullups, pushups, and squats, mixed in with some fast, heavy free weight sets (one set per exercise). It's fast, simple, and my body and muscles are looking amazing. I've never had them like this, despite working out for many years. I don't have time for much else beyond some sprints. Tell her to find something she likes doing and then stick with it. That is what I have done, and I've been working out since I was 16, but always doing something different.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Does she have weight to lose at all, or is she just looking to see some muscle?
    You say she has knee issues (I do too, from years of sitting poorly) but building muscle in that area is really crucial to supporting the joint itself. I wouldn't ask her to do a 100lb squat right now but she shouldn't eliminate this movement

I like the idea of doing some big muscle group lifts. That's what I do, and that's what I've seen the best results from.

The only resistance I see is that she might be afraid of bulking up, but if we keep calories in check, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast