Thread: Primal wannabe starting to get my feet wet page

abbyful is offline Member

Primal wannabe starting to get my feet wet

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I posted on the "introduce yourself" thread, but I figured I'd post a more personal introduction too.

My name is Abby, I live in Kansas City with my fiance (will be husband on June 7th 2011!) and 3 dogs. I work as a web developer at a hospital. I was born & raised in rural Kansas, grew up on a farm, moved to the "big city" after college.

My hobbies include my dogs, one of which I show at AKC shows; cooking; wine; ethnic cuisine (love Ethiopian, hands-down my all-time favorite cuisine, although not primal); and more recently added is learning more about nutrition and health.

About a year and a half ago, wondering how I could "eat better". I was eating all the stuff I thought was healthy but I didn't really feel healthy: low fat, lots of whole-grain, basically trying to follow the food pyramid. It just didn't really seem right, so I started doing some research and came across books by Michael Pollan and Nina Planck. I've since then ditched pretty much all processed junk and became an obsessive label-reader: no HFCS, no hydrogenated oil, no soy, no chemical preservatives, etc. So I'm currently on what I refer to as a "real food" diet. In a way I feel kind of stupid because it seems like it should be common sense to try to eat only "real food" and not "food-like substances", but I had been brainwashed by the food pyramid and government recommendations.

Then a few months ago I came across a blog on the Paleo diet, this has peaked my interest even more. I'm not a bread lover, so cutting back on bread has been pretty easy; but I don't know if I can give up cheese, I love cheese.

I haven't jumped in with both feet, but I have been trying to cut back on carbs more and my current goal is 1/3 of my meals to be Primal/Paleo, I plan to keep increasing that.

On a side note: my 3 dogs are already fully Primal! They eat what's called "raw prey-model diet" (80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organs). It may sound silly, but in my researching what the best diet for my dogs would be, it actually made me pay attention to my own diet as well. And I've realized the "experts" on both canine and human diets really aren't giving us the best advice.

The other thing I need to work on besides diet is physical fitness. I'm skinny, but not fit. I used to dance (ballet, pointe, tap, jazz, lyrical) for about 17 years, I stopped in college when I couldn't find a dance studio I liked. At that time, I took up Tae Kwon Do for a year or so and that didn't really hold my interest. So now I know I'm out of shape even though I'm still the same size I was when I was 15 years old.

Anyways, sorry if that was a really long introduction! I look forward to reading the posts here, from what I've read so far I think this will be a very informative forum!

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Fellow cheese lover here I don't know that you have to totally give up cheese, especially if weight loss isn't a primary goal. I do still enjoy a little cheese now and then, but I'm surprised at how little I need to eat now that I fill up on so much other good stuff.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Like Lucy said, cheese is OK unless it prevents loss of fat. Even then, a sprinkle here and there won't hurt.

Welcome! Glad you are here.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.