Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PB and pregnancy page

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

My wife and I found out baby #2 is on the way and are wondering where the PB fits in? Are there any sites/blogs that have talked about this? Thanks.

Tarlach is offline Member

Why should being pregnant be that different to every other day?

Diet should remain the same and heavy exercise should just decrease as it becomes uncomfortable.

My wife has done two paleo pregnancies and she was very happy with how it all went. Our two kids are very primal and we are very content with how they are growing up.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

soror is offline Senior Member

I have tried to stay paleo the last 2 pregnancies. I cannot say I have been perfect, but kept at it for a large part. For me I found it harder and easier at times. Last time I seemed to have a lot less issue w/ carb cravings and no aversions which helped. This time I had strong cravings and aversions at first- luckily not for fastfood or anything- but it really threw me off.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of info out there about it- not that I can find. I just tried to listen to my body and if I feel a strong carb craving try to feel it with the most nutritious and paleo friendly food I can find.

Every pregnancy and women is different though and even as the pregnancy progress things changes. Lately I have found it easy to be grainfree(currently 40w4d)but I do eat sweet potatoes which are not on the ok list. I don't hardly eat fruit at all though- I have had 2 big fruit cravings this pregnancy, but other than that I usually don't eat any.

I feel better the more primal/paleo I eat most definitely. I have had wonderfully healthy pregnancies. My bp now is 90-100/60 which it has been the whole pregnancy. I have absolutely no swelling anywhere. I grow good sized babies 7-7 and 8-10- wonderful completely intervention free births both times(and waiting for the 3rd). Awesome milk supply etc. I don't have the usual aches and pains of most pregnant women, actually I get around well(although slow) even now.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

maba is offline Senior Member

Congrats erstad17! How exciting it must be for you and the missus. Here's a link from WAPF on pregnancy, if you omit the grains, the dietary recommendation is very primal:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/dietformothers.html

Check out the section on Women''s health and pregnancy for more info.

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the info. Maba, the link was really helpful. We are so excited, especially since we were told we couldn't have kids anymore. This definitely was a pleasant surprise.

bobbylight Guest

I would check out what CW has to say about pregnancy nutrition as well. I have heard that there are some important nutrients that pregnant women need to get. I believe calcium is one of them, and the PB lacks calcium. I would add some milk or some calcium supplements to be honest. Not everything CW says is wrong by the way. And don't avoid the prenatal vitamins.

Here is a link about pregnancy and calcium.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_9472.asp

Anyway, I would say that staying primal would be good as long as you are getting a good amount of fruits and veggies for vitamins and minerals, but I would say either drink a few glasses of milk a day or take a calcium supplement. I know that people around here say you don't need calcium, but there is a lot of evidence that a high protein diet (like the PB) with low calcium intake can hurt bone health. Also, it shows a lot of calcium with a high protein diet is good for bone health. Stay primal, but add calcium.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

bobbylight Guest

Not everything CW has to offer is bad. There is a bad stigma on this board. If 90% of nutritionists believe something, there might be some validity to it. Anyway, I wouldn't mess around with pregnancy. Eat primal, just make sure to get your milk in. If you want to research for yourself you should look at studies yourself.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Last I saw you were supporting eating grains... so I'm not all that interested in what you have to say. Sorry.

When it comes to diet, forget CW. It's bunk.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

If you eat grains, then you need a lot more calcium because the grains keep you from actually being able to USE the calcium you eat...

I'm pregnant and lactose intolerant. You can bet I won't be drinking tons of extra milk.

I am taking a vitamin but that's mostly for the folate which is hard to get from foods and because why not? It's an easy thing to do.

But yeah, ODing on milk isn't in my stars.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast