Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PB and pregnancy page 2

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

erstad17 BTW congrats on #2!!! How exciting!

I'm definitely planning to stay mostly primal during my pregnancy... though right now with so much morning sickness I'm just trying to make sure I don't starve myself. I've already lost a couple pounds this week and I can pull my pants off without unbuttoning them, so... I'm eating whatever I can at this point.

I'm taking prenatal vitamins and fish oil too, and once I'm not feeling like I'm going to be sick all day long I'm going to try to go on long walks each day. Gotta get some warmer clothes though... it's getting chilly!

Also, I'm very much not planning on getting into the "eating for two" mentality. haha. Really, the baby only needs an extra 200-300 calories/day beyond your regular maintenance calories. I want to gain 15-20 pounds ideally. I know 30 is "normal" but 7 pounds of that is listed as "maternal fat stores"... which to me says "more than you needed."

I'm meeting with a nurse on Wednesday and then will schedule an appt with an OBGYN hopefully for soon after. Will let you know what happens if you want.

Does your wife have an account here at MDA? If not, maybe she should make one and sign in to chat!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

Hello again FNW, how are things going? Your family moved right? Congratulations on your pregnancy! How far along are you? We are 6 weeks in. My wife is taking the prenatal and has also doesn't believe in the "eating for two" theory. She did add meat to her diet, she was vegetarian before. Besides water, we only drink Almond milk, no cow milk for us. I think it'd be great if she signed up here. I know she'd love to chat with other pregnant ladies.

Diana - I love your passion, keep it up!

bobbylight - I'm curious to see what the obgyn will say on our first visit about calcium/grains. I'll keep everyone posted.

bobbylight Guest

Well I can guarantee that your ob/gyn won't say anything about cutting grains out of your diet. That is for sure.

Also, FNW, do you have any research to support the fact that you don't need as much calcium when you are eating grains? I know I have heard Mark say it a few times, but I haven't seen the evidence to back it up. I have seen a study that states a high protein diet can cause bones to become weak if there isn't enough calcium in the diet as well...but, if you are intaking lots of calcium and lots of protein, your bones actually get stronger for it.

Not getting enough calcium is definitely a factor in bone health. Disregarding it and claiming that it doesn't matter because grains aren't in your diet is silly. If you guys don't want to drink milk, at least eat a few tums or something.

bobbylight Guest

If you actually read mark's article on calcium you guys would realize he suggests that pregnant women get 1,000-1,200 mg of calcium per day.

62shelby Guest

Explain to us then Bobby, how our we survived without grains and dairy, pre agrarian? Explain to us, how the Inuit manage to have children through the millenia on a meat and fat diet?

I am sure you have some theory about it, but entertain us, with your amusing ideas. Do wont you.

soror is offline Senior Member

And exactly how much dairy are the beloved Asians getting w/ their wonderful grainfilled diets? You know the model for all of us. ARE you even aware that dairy is in foods besides milk. Are you aware that there are currently lots of cultures that don't consume milk products, I believe it is well over 50% of the world's population that DOESN'T consume dairy past the age of weaning. So, it certainly isn't that PB ignores "calcium" it is smart enough to know that you don't need dairy to get calcium.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

bobbylight Guest

"Explain to us then Bobby, how our we survived without grains and dairy, pre agrarian? Explain to us, how the Inuit manage to have children through the millenia on a meat and fat diet?"

You do realize that to survive as a species you just have to live long enough to reproduce, right? Anyway, Grok would have died far too soon to see any ill effects of osteoperosis. The Inuit have been shown to have a very high level of osteoperosis. I didn't say a lack of calcium is going to kill you at 35. I am just saying that it could be a factor for bone health later in life.

I am not claiming that calcium is the sole factor in bone health. But it seems to definitely be a factor. Apparently eating a lot of fruits and veggies are good for bone health too. There are a lot of factors, but apparently on a high protein diet it is imperative to eat enough calcium.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm gonna regret wading in but here goes... PB is not high protein so much as high FAT.

anyway, if you don't drink milk and want extra calcium, make stock / broth. I save and freeze bones from sunday roasts etc then when I have a bag full, they all go in the crockpot with some root veg and a splash of vinegar (supposedly leaches even more calcium outta them bones). Makes a gorgeous, gooey stock to use in soups and stews, and you can pretty much switch it on low and ignore it for 24 hours.

And congratulations everyone!!

There is another board where I saw a thread that Tarlach and partner (so sorry, can't conjure up name) talked about paleo pregnancy, I'll see if I can find a link

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

You do realize that to survive as a species you just have to live long enough to reproduce, right?

And yet we did manage to reproduce without grains and calcium. Imagine that.

Seriously, if you're not in support of a Primal lifestyle, why are you here?

62shelby Guest

DR I am wondering the same myself. I think its just s**t disturbing.

bobby its a poor excuse for an explanation.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast