Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defending Primal..... help! page

mcsnick is offline Member

Defending Primal..... help!

Primal Fuel
    So today I told one of my co-workers (we were talking about farm eggs) that I eat 2 eggs and half an avocado for breakfast every morning. He looked at me weird and asked if I was worried about cholesterol. I got all flustered. I wanted to defend Primal and spew off facts and studies, but I just haven't committed enough information to memory for it to become part of my working knowledge. I stumbled and said something like, No, I'm not really concerned- studies have shown that eggs don't raise your cholesterol, and also that high cholesterol isn't necessarily a marker for heart disease anyway. I sure didn't sound confident, and am still not sure I said the right thing. Does anyone have any tips for talking to people when you don't really have a science background? I mean, I READ READ READ this website, 2 books, forum posts and I've learned so much, but probably only 1% of what I'd need to know to actually sound like a trustworthy source in the matter.

I want to tell people how good this is, but I'm not very convincing! Any advice besides just not speaking about my way of life?

P.S. SO glad I found this community. I know no one in real life who eats this way-- wish I did!

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Ya know, I'm not good at it either. Everything I say about it seems to come out wrong.

It sounds like you handled it just fine. Remember, if you get defensive, it gives people the impression you have something to defend. And you don't. You've made the right decision for your health.

So even if you don't have a scientific study handy, you don't need it. Besides, people can get weird about scientific studies as evidence. Your experience is all you need. Try to discuss it in a positive light instead of a negative, for example, instead of listing what we don't eat, list some of the awesome things we do eat and talk about how great you feel. Or have a stock statement ready, like "Just giving my body the fuel it prefers!"
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    I've found that these convos are usually a waste of time unless you make really bold claims. So now I say things like "Nah. I think cholesterol is actually good for you. I've been eating plenty of cholesterol and saturated fat but avoiding wheat, sugar, and vegetable oils and I've never been so happy and healthy". You just gotta make sure to say it with confidence.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Maybe start with a specific or two? In this case, how about "eggs don't cause heart disease":

Egg Nutrition and Heart Disease - Harvard Health Publications

Quoting Harvard is always a good start. :-)
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You said the right thing.

Cholesterol does not cause heart disease; inflammation does. The body produces arterial plaque in an attempt to put out the fire of inflammation -- in essence, a sticky Band-Aid over an open sore.

Regardless, there's a bunch of us who have been doing this a while now and have seen massive improvement in our cholesterol numbers. My starting triglycerides were 178; now 66. All other cholesterol values/ratio way down. Diabetes and inflammation markers, blood pressure, and resting heart rate -- really, any/everything you can measure -- also way down as well.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I don't give a lot of detail. If you give too much info people get defensive over the way they eat and question your motives.

My usual answer is "I avoid grains/gluten due to my asthma/allergies and don't worry about the fat, it's what gives me energy" They may ask a question or two but it has never gotten ugly.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    From the excellent documentary, Fathead:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I had the exact same problem.

I posted a recipe for a "pizza omelette" on Facebook and some nimrod starts going off on me about heart problems. I realized that I too don't have the high level response to this memorized.

This needs what we call at work "the elevator speech." You accidentally bump into the big boss on the elevator, and you are asked what is going on. You have to explain it convincingly before the elevator door opens. It's a good exercise.

So, what is the elevator speech on what is wrong with "eggs cause heart disease?"

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    I actually started a blog because it's so hard to come up with an abbreviated answer to that question. Haha but more seriously, you just plain need to get used to being looked at weird. You'll find a lot of people that are never going to change their mind on this issue and it's really not worth the time investment to give them details they're not hearing anyway. Avoiding nutrition talk with those people gets easier, and some of them come around once they see how much a paleo diet can change a body and mindset. I've changed a lot already, people see that and they can't deny that it's working for me, pretty good argument for the paleo side. You will find people genuinely interested in this stuff too though, don't fret. The one person you find that gets as excited as you do about this stuff is totally worth the hundred of doubters you have to weave through to find them. Important to keep a cool head too, no one looks good getting frustrated when trying to prove a point. Say what you believe matter of factly, it does make a difference how you present it.

All in all, just stick with it, it's worth being a little weird to feel this good.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Our great-grandparents ate lots of cholesterol and saturated fat in the form of eggs, red meat, butter, cream, and yet they lived without lots of the diseases we have now. Traditional cultures all over the world still eat plenty of these foods and enjoy vibrant health. Then the government told us to limit cholesterol and saturated fats and to eat lots of grains and vegetable oils, and we did -- but only got fatter and sicker as a result.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast