Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaky gut - true or false? page

dboxing is offline Senior Member

Leaky gut - true or false?

Primal Fuel
    Many posts around here blame numerous health issues on “leaky gut” caused by eating grains. Is this an actual medical condition (meaning there is a leaky gut diagnosis)? Have test been done where people eat grains then it is determined that their gut starts leaking? What about autopsies? Since grains are so prevalent in society, wouldn’t just about every autopsy note some type of bowel issue? I’m not saying that it is not true. I just don’t like the idea of blaming numerous maladies and drawing further conclusions about a whole range of issues based solely on speculation. Is there conclusive proof the condition exists? Obviously Crohn’s and Celiac exisit, but they are distinguishable in that they meet all of test above.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I know there is such thing as gut permeability where you aren't properly absorbing the right vitamins and minerals into their intended places. I know that indigestion, lactose intolerance, stress, low/high stomach acids, gluten intolerance can destroy the micro villi in the small intestine making for malabsorbtion. That is why there are some people who eat certain amounts of nutrients but they still show up as deficient on their lab results for said nutrients.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    PubMed returns almost 1800 hits on the search string "gut permeability". It comes up in its autocomplete in several variations. "gut permeability and food allergies" returns 65 hits.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 05-25-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    I just don’t like the idea of blaming numerous maladies and drawing further conclusions about a whole range of issues based solely on speculation.
    Which is easily, IMO, what 80% of our current understanding of human nutrition is based on. Pathetic really.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, that's not what I'm getting in pubmed. Also, neither "leaky gut" nor "gut permeability" are in MeSH.

Edit: That's weird. When I went straight to PubMed I got few hits on gut permeability, but when I searched "all databases" PubMed came up with 1767. If you search on the exact phrase "gut permeability" (including the quotation marks), the results list bumps down to 335.
    Last edited by me jane; 05-25-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    Hmm, that's not what I'm getting in pubmed. Also, neither "leaky gut" nor "gut permeability" are in MeSH.

gut permeability - PubMed result

By the way, I did get a hit with the string "leaking gut" in the title when I search "gut permeability and autoimmune". 27 total hits on that one.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    I know Robb Wolf talks about lectins and leaky gut a lot. I don't believe it's an official medical condition but the way he talks about it makes it sound legit. Certain proteins like lectin can cause some kind of reaction in the small intestine which creates a kind of hole or channel in the intestine that connects to the blood supply. Foreign particles (any kind of allergen or microbe) can get into the bloodstream through this channel and this results in the body mounting an immune response to the foreign particle. This immune response (now seen as an allergy) will occur any time you come across this same foreign particle in the future. I think this is a pretty solid argument as to how some people acquire allergies to certain things like gluten and nuts and others don't have a problem with that stuff (they probably haven't had a "leaky gut" issue in the past.)

It just makes sense to me, I'll try and find some actual papers on the subject but I really think that leaky gut is a problem for a lot of people.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    I think the responses are illustrative and helpful, but again, a bit concerning. Just because a phrase is mentioned does not mean that said phrase was the subject of a test based on the parameters I see expressed often on this forum, which, to sum up, are that eating nominal amounts of grain results in "leaky gut", and just about anyone not doing PB or similar suffers from it - i.e., "you are not losing weight because you need time to let your leaky gut heal", etc., etc. Do people in France suffer from leaky gut?

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Isn't the technical term "intestinal permeability?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast