Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolfing or A.R.T. anyone? page

Corj is offline Junior Member

Rolfing or A.R.T. anyone?

Shop Now
    Has anyone here had experience with either/both of these therapies? After much research I am leaning towards Rolfing because it seems to be better suited to older injuries + more integral approach but have yet to speak to anyone who's had this done. I also look like the "before" from the side in the Rolfing institute's logo ;-)

I have a nagging imbalance in my buttock/hip area on the right side that stems from my SI joint or piriformis (unsure) that's causing all kinds of junk ranging from "pain in the butt" to numbness down leg, groin pain & low back pain. Am now sure it's all related and have tried everything (e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g) except these 2 therapies.

Help me help myself once and for all!!!!

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Both my husband and I have done rolfing for a few years now. I can't say enough good about it. Yes it is going to cost you a little bit to get through your 10 series. No, it does not hurt like everyone told me it would. They say to try 3 and you will know by then if it is for you ar not.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    ART performed by a competent provider is nothing short of magic. My bodybuilding days would have been very short if I hadn't discovered ART for a myriad of soft tissue injuries.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I've had ART from its founder Dr Laheay. I saw him in college - he treated the cadets for free... paying back is alma mater. Great guy! I believe he's still in CSprings... absolutely amazing for release of over used muscles and joint problems... give it a go if you can find a good practitioner my current chiropractor doesn't use it...but when I need it I go to someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    Both my husband and I have done rolfing for a few years now. I can't say enough good about it. Yes it is going to cost you a little bit to get through your 10 series. No, it does not hurt like everyone told me it would. They say to try 3 and you will know by then if it is for you ar not.
    How dramatic was the process? I mean did it interfere with your conditioning or day-to-day activities during treatment and did you have lasting results once completed? I heard once you've completed the 10 series you're good to go aside from "touch-ups" here and there.

At this point (after sports massage/therapy, chiro, osteo...) I'm looking for something that will give me a MAJOR overhaul. I don't mind paying more up-front for that as long as I know/think it'll be worth it.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread25842.html

Since I posted in that thread, my Rolfing sessions have ended and I am now doing something called atlas orthogonal chiropractic (this type, specifically) with damned near miraculous results. In many ways, the Rolfing primed my body for the atlas chiro adjustments that were to come.

I had constant sacral and then right-sided SI pain for three years and one leg/hip was hitched up so that it appeared as if one leg was shorter than the other (but in actuality was not). I am not kidding you .... ONE AO adjustment (after six months of Rolfing ... you won't need as much, do not worry) and my leg lengths were equal and my shoulders too. It's taken six weeks of 2-3x weekly AO, but now the constant sacral and SI pain is completely resolved and the S curve is returning to my spine!

The combination of Rolfing and atlas orthogonal chiropractic is extremely powerful. Both deal with structural integrity -- one works the skeleton, one works the soft tissue.

GlobalAO: About Atlas Orthogonal
    Last edited by TigerLily; 05-25-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by Corj View Post
    How dramatic was the process? I mean did it interfere with your conditioning or day-to-day activities during treatment and did you have lasting results once completed? I heard once you've completed the 10 series you're good to go aside from "touch-ups" here and there.

At this point (after sports massage/therapy, chiro, osteo...) I'm looking for something that will give me a MAJOR overhaul. I don't mind paying more up-front for that as long as I know/think it'll be worth it.
    Well my body was really messed up when I started. My strrnum is split in two pieces and that causes my shoulders to roll forward and my shoulder blades to flip out like wings. Sometimes at night I would roll over in bed and my rib cage would cross over and not only was that REALLY painful I couldn't breathe. I also had a brown recluse spider bite on my shin that had to be cut out. The nerve pain from that is still really intense so I tend to not put as much weight on that leg. That was always tweaking my pelvis into a weird position. My injuries are still there, but rolfing has allowed me to keep an active lifestyle and manage my own pain with out meds. I also feel that it has prevented countless other injuries by making me more aware of how I move.

My Hubby had a standing appointment with the chiropractor every tuesday for the first 5 years of our marraige. His back hurt him so bad and everyone always told him it was because he had one leg that was longer than the other. He spent so much money on shoe inserts to fix it and they never helped. Then he tried rolfing and the girl told him that his legs were fine and it was his pelvis that was not setting right. She was right. He is pain free and has never needed to go back to the chiropractor again.

He did the 10 series and that was all he needed. (that was 5 years ago) I go once a month because of my sternum. It has been a miracle for both of us. It has changed our lives for the better. I feel that it is the only lasting thing I have tried.

One thing I would suggest is not to work out after your appointment. It seems to me that your body keeps moving well after the appointment is over. I always work out in the morning before I go and try to make sure I am not going to lift the next day. Drink lots of water because it does seem to stir things up. I get a headache if I don't drink enough.

Tigerlily, thanks for posting the link on the AO. I think I would like to try it.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Zophie: You will be able to see the x-ray on your first appointment if and how your atlas is misaligned. It was a trip to see mine! The way it was misaligned was exactly the way the rest of my body followed suit and was also misaligned. I can't say enough good things about AO. Make sure you watch Montel Williams' testimonial at that link about his nerve pain and what happened after just one adjustment. The person who told me all about this said that those kind of responses are not uncommon. I didn't want to get my hopes up too much, but then I had a massive response to my first treatment.

To the OP: Is the nature of your injury skeletal or soft tissue, or both, or do you know? That would determine which course to take. In my case, it was both.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

"To the OP: Is the nature of your injury skeletal or soft tissue, or both, or do you know? That would determine which course to take. In my case, it was both. "

I suspect it's soft tissue because I've had months of chiro with no improvement whatsoever. The only thing that has given me minor response or has mimicked all of my symptoms after treatment was osteopathy. Unfortunately I can never get lasting relief or get enough appointments to make significant headway as the really good therapists are so in demand.

Regarding the Atlas misalignment; Were a "standard" course of chiro treatments (x/week for x/months) prescribed? That has always kept me out of chiro's offices but I must say the videos have really peeked my curiosity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast