Thread: Primal Journal (PrimalJenn) page

PrimalJenn is offline Member

Primal Journal (PrimalJenn)

Primal Fuel
    I have started my Primal living about a week ago. While I can't afford to go totally organic/grass fed all the time, I am trying to pick up things when I can. I have cut bread, potatoes and rice totally out. To my surprise I didn't have a freak out or "carb flu" that I see a lot of people having. I am surrounded by all these temptations and I am not really that interested in them. I'm gonna ride this non caring train as far as it will take me. While some of my choices the past week haven't been 100% paleo all the time, I think I have eased my way into this new lifestyle very well. I went from a mostly grain/carb meals to meat/veg/fruit in literally a days turn over. There are some tweaks I still want to make and a crap ton more reading I need to do (I still need to finish Marks book, I just got so excited the first few chapters in that I ran with it) but I am hoping with these forums and all the new people I am meeting, I can make Primal a lifestyle and not just something I am doing right now.

A little about myself:
    I am 29 years old and getting married in August. My main reason for taking on such a new lifestyle change is health. I used to be a personal trainer and I really took advantage of my body at that time bc I was working out so much I could eat anything. So while writing meal plans for clients during the day, at night I would drink beer and eat fatty/fried foods and think nothing of it. I noticed my weight started creeping up after I left the gym and got a desk job.

Also around the same time I met my gf and thus began my "In love fatness." I quickly burned up the scale from my average weight of 155lbs to a gut busting 250lbs. I had never struggled with my weight so this really took me by surprise. I mean technically I shouldn't have been surprised, I was eating like sh&! and didn't move for like 2 years. Then began the health problems, almost all at once I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, pre diabetes, fatty liver, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It was a wake up call so I began trying to be more active. I did lose 45lbs and that has helped take away the sleep apnea, pre diabetes and I'm hoping fatty liver (I haven't been re tested yet but symptoms are gone). And thus my 5 year weight gain, little weight loss, mostly weight staying still struggle sits.

Today I do have high blood pressure but it's only a little high and I am confident it will be back to normal in time for my next check up. Same with the cholesterol levels. While I said my main concern is health, I also would like to finally start moving the scale again back down to my old weight. So I am starting a journal to help educate myself more into eating paleo and generally living a better life. Since starting just a week ago I have noticed huge changes, like that 3pm slump at work I used to get is no longer there. My bloating seems to have gone down a lot and even some minor aches and pains have gone away. Any suggestions other members have or help along the way I am all ears

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! It sounds like you're on the right track
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sounds good.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJenn View Post
    Also around the same time I met my gf and thus began my "In love fatness."
    I called it, "happy relationship weight," but I like yours better

Cheers and welcome!

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and how excellent for you to take control of your health!

I follow Bee Wilder's "Healing Naturally" program (which is basically paleo/primal in that we consume no: grains, starches, fruits, sugar, dairy or nuts).

You realize you have many health issues and Bee's program helps us to recognize that we must heal from the inside out.

I understand we want the weight to move (and right now!!) but our body LONGS for healing and it can't do everything at once.

In your reading, you might consider reading a few of Bee's articles to see how it resonates with you:

<http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/>

She's got a fabulous search engine in the upper right hand corner; enter a key word or just scan some of the success testimonies...

To your improving health...

PrimalJenn is offline Member
    So here's my breakdown for yesterday, any suggestions or help would be great.
    B: 3 egglands best eggs, 2 applegate chicken sausages, 1/2 avocado
    L: fresh salad: romaine lettuce, spinach, cucs, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, red cabbage, carrots, 2 HB eggs, 1 scoop pre-made tuna, light drizzle of balsamic. 4 strawberries, handful of blueberries.
    S: small bag of organic baby carrots
    S: whey protein shake w/ water, 4-5 almonds
    D: grilled everything: 2 small pork loin chops, 1 chicken breast, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, portabella mushrooms and red onions.
    After Dinner: small bowl of blueberries, watermelon and a few strawberries.

all in all I felt pretty good, this morning I woke up and had a little bloating going on which is probably from the marinade I made for the pork loins. I will def watch my salt intake regarding that type of stuff. I know to be totally primal I need to stay away from the whey protein but there are certain things I enjoy like whey protein and cottage cheese that I think I will limit but still have in my diet, is this totally blowing it or am I ok? I tried to explain to my gf and parents last night about primal and why I am doing it and I got the normal laughs or compared to Atkins, telling me this is a fad and yadda yadda. I finally gave up and just said go read TPB or check out the websites. I asked them to please just respect my wishes to eliminate certain things and have other things and ill just have to accept theirs. I understand why they would say these things bc I have gone back and forth between different fad diets/cleanses for years but this one just feels better to me, like I can maintain this forever. I guess I will always come across critics and I have to not take it so personally. thanks for the input guys!

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My kids have harassed me, too, about changing plans - frequently - so they don't believe this one will stick.

But I've been doing it for about 1.5 yrs, longer than anything else i've ever done... pretty sure this is the real deal!