Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fructose less effective than glucose to body page

wiltondeportes Guest

Fructose less effective than glucose to body

Primal Fuel
    Does Fructose Make You Fatter? - NYTimes.com

This talks real quickly about how fructose is converted to fat in the body quicker than other forms of carbohydrates. That means glucose and starch as the two MAIN alternatives. I'm going to assume sucrose is better than fructose because it doesn't bypass insulin and whatnot like fructose can. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

My point here is not sucrose though. I don't think anyone is calling sucrose 'good', I am simply saying glucose > fructose for replentishing glycogen in your body. This is how the metabolism uses carbohydrates as far as I understand. Your metabolism can use carbs you eat or it can create its own carbs. Active people will need at least a little carb in their diet to be at max energy in my opinion.

Back to what type of carb. If glucose beats fructose for its ability to stay in system as the body decides what to do with it, does starch (polysaccharides or complex carbohydrates...chains of multiple carbohyrdate molecules...in starch's case, glucose) beat simple glucose for the time it takes to be broken down and used periodically? Less blood sugar spike too.

On the contrary, if fructose had a purpose, could it be for IMMEDIATE energy? Would it be faster reacting than simple glucose in the metabolism if you wanted to eat something and have enormous energy soon after?

Check out the link and read my ramblings, and respond to them!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Starch = glucose. The body very quickly breaks down starch into glucose. Enzymes in saliva do it. No benefit to one over the other

I like to think of fructose as nature's way to ready you for winter. Fruits are most available in autumn
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Sucrose is one molecule of fructose bound to one molecule of glucose, so you get the good with the bad when you eat sugar.

otzi Guest
    I would like to learn more on this subject, too. I think there is a world of difference in high fructose corn syrup and the fructose found in fruit. I've seen charts that show the fructose levels in various foods, the fructose in a small banana is 5g, a small apple has 6g, but a Coke sweetened with HFCS has 20g.

When I went low-carb, not following any specific plan, I cut out all carbs except fruit--I ate a ton of fruit: half a pineapple, 5-6 tangerines, 4-5 bananas, mangoes, kiwis--every day, along with meat, cheese, and veggies, and lost weight like crazy.

I didn't cut calories, maybe even increased them, but before I started that diet, I was eating cookies, ice cream, cake, donuts--all that crap every day. It was later that I read to cut down on fruit and when I did, weight loss came even easier. But, I've always been curious, too, about what happens to fructose from fruit when it enters your digestive system.

nasir is offline Junior Member

Hello

Hi I am new in this forum, I love cooking.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    ...When I went low-carb, not following any specific plan, I cut out all carbs except fruit--I ate a ton of fruit: half a pineapple, 5-6 tangerines, 4-5 bananas, mangoes, kiwis--every day, along with meat, cheese, and veggies, and lost weight like crazy.

I didn't cut calories, maybe even increased them, but before I started that diet, I was eating cookies, ice cream, cake, donuts--all that crap every day....
    This is where we have to be careful in how we represent weight loss and how it happened. Grains, I do believe, are the worst for us and you cut all those out. So was it simply eating tons of fruit that caused your weight loss or was it cutting out of grains and simple sugars?

otzi Guest
    Oh, I don't think for a second that eating fruits made me lose weight. I think they were a good way to help kick the sugar and grain cravings and replace bad starches with better starches and nutrients. But, I do know they didn't hinder my weight loss initially.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I like to think of fructose as nature's way to ready you for winter. Fruits are most available in autumn
    What about the tropics? Fruit is available year-round in the tropics. Human beings also originate from the tropics. I don't think this is the entire story.

otzi Guest
    I don't buy it either: I live in sub-arctic alaska. Last month, I was hunting 150mi above the artcic circle, and found a huge patch of frozen blueberries under the snow. They were easy to get at and I ate at least 10 big handfuls of them. There are also still cranberries on the bushes in my yard from last fall that are quite edible.

I was in hawaii this winter and ate tons of fruit right off the trees. So, I think while it's fun to say fruit is only there in the fall to fatten you up for a long winter, the truth is it's available year round in lots of places.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Does Fructose Make You Fatter? - NYTimes.com
    On the contrary, if fructose had a purpose ...
    ... it would be the plant's purpose and not yours.

Plants don't, of course, have purposes. However, insofar as there is variation among individual beings (plants or animals) and those that have some specific characteristic—arising, we assume, "randomly"—may, because of that characteristic, be more likely to survive and reproduce, that characteristic tends to the survival of the being that has it. A being that eats that being may be, as it were, beside the point. I say "may" ... but if an animal eats a fruit because it tastes pleasant (because it's sweet), then that animal will pass the seeds in its faeces, which will help spread the plant.

So no being plans anything, but the outcome is that plants with certain characteristics tend to survive. One of those characteristics might be "being sweet to the taste".

So we could speak of the plant's "purpose" to avoid saying all that.

And, then again, what I just laid out is only what we assume. But does anyone have a better suggestion?

Having said that, fruits occurring in the wild tend not to be very sweet. Most fruits you know have been "improved" by man. I guess man has done that in accordance with his his preferences—which we assume must be bequeathed to him by the evolutionary process—but does that mean that those preferences are useful? or are they leading him the wrong way? Who knows?

AFAIK, the best advice is probably to eat fresh, whole foods. We wonder about what this or that component of the food does, but if we eat the whole food we get the vitamins and minerals it comes with—which people who eat table sugar, or HFCS, don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast