Thread: Happy newbie primal gal in the Middle East page

FrannyPro is offline Junior Member

Happy newbie primal gal in the Middle East

Shop Now
    I'm a super newbie to primal eating (I think today is day 34?), and simply put, I have Never. Felt. Better.

I'd stumbled across Mark's Daily Apple about two months ago, and I quickly found myself down the rabbit hole of reading post after post after post. After about 1 1/2 weeks of bringing up primal-this or Mark's Daily Apple-that to my husband, he was like, "Well, I'm willing to give it a go" (I think he was one-part curious himself, and one-part relieved that I wasn't heading back down my vegan path of yore). I'll admit: I ate a big sundae from Baskin Robbins to bid adieu to SAD for a while.

But since that day, I really haven't looked back as I embrace primal eating/fitness. I've been an athlete my entire life (I was playing soccer and baseball as a five-year-old). I've run tons of half marathons, marathons (including Boston), and one ultra. Like a lot of runners, I'm also a complete sugar/carb-holic. I always felt like I could eat whatever I wanted--so long as I went out for a 6-mile run the next day. But my relationship to food was never healthy, and as I look forward to my 30th birthday this year, I could tell eating cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc., nearly every day was catching up to me (read: Buddha belly).

In just 30+ days of primal eating (and cutting back on my long runs, adding in more HITT and strength training), any excess fat I had has melted off. I enjoy the food I'm eating so much more than SAD (eggs? bacon? lamb? avocado? yes please!), and my fitness routine is more varied and enjoyable. I've totally drunk the proverbial Kool Aid, and I couldn't be happier.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Glad to see you and your spouse have found PB, and are enjoying the benefits.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!!!!! You are the one who has been posting on my facebook fan page wall, aren't you?!

Let me know if you ever have any questions - you seem to be doing greeeeeat!!

P.S. You will LOVE the community. Its the greatest in the world and is becoming greater every day!

What ultra did you run in?! I want to do the Tarahumara run with Barefoot Ted and the gang.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck on primal!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks y'all! I am indeed excited about my primal future (maybe too much? I am trying to be aware of my primal proselytizing to friends and family, but I can't help it--I feel so good, I want them to as well).

@PrimalToad, it wasn't me on your Facebook page, though after reading your comment I did go and "like" your page, so you'll see me there now fo' sure.

Time to get outside in that hot Middle Eastern sun for some vitamin D!

Oh, and to answer your question: I ran in the American River 50-miler. That year it went from Sacramento to Auburn (some years it's vice-versa), with 1,000 ft. elevation for the last 3 miles--it's no joke! I'd hoped to do it in under 11 hours, ended up finishing in 8 hrs 23 min and first in my age group. Woot! I'm not sure I'd ever run another ultra, but it was one of the most exhilarating and rewarding physical and mental challenges I've ever undertaken.

Training is key (as I'm sure you know)--I did 4 months of back-to-back Saturday/Sunday long runs (I think I peaked at 25 miles on Saturday, 34 miles on Sunday), and during the week I did 9-mile interval runs on Tues/Thurs, a Wednesday spin class, and had two full days of rest (Friday and Monday).

Best of luck in your Tarahumara endeavor!

John smeth is offline Junior Member
    Hey man, that happened to me with one band whose name I can't remember. As you can tell already, it's a completely unremarkable story, so I'll just leave it there...