Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Polyphasic Sleep Log page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

My Polyphasic Sleep Log

Shop Now
    Has anyone heard of polyphasic sleep? I just discovered this sleep method from reading The 4 Hour Body (an extremely fun book by the way).

Starting today, I am testing this out. I already took 2 20 minute naps and now only have to sleep 4.5 hours tonight. I am shooting for a 12-12:30 bedtime and waking up just before 5.

I am SUPER EXCITED to see how this plays out. If you have any questions, comments or concerns then please discuss in this thread!

Thomas Edison engaged in this type of sleep. With 2 20 minute naps I can add 3 hours to my day.... wohoo!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'll be interested to see how this works for you. I need quite a lot of sleep and would love to find a way to cut it down.

Do you anticipate having any trouble napping?

I took 2 20 minute naps today and had success. I was able to sleep - just not sure how long. It is 12:21 right now which is waaaaaaay past my normal bedtime of around 10:30. I began to feel tired about 10-15 minutes ago. Time for bed now as I plan on waking up around 5 am.

I will allow time for me to adjust and will "investigate" after a week or 2.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I'm really interested in this topic. Thanks for doing an experiment!
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

GreenLightJerky is offline Senior Member
    At what point in the day did you fit in the 2 twenty minute naps? Did you have an alarm wake you?
    I look forward to hearing more.
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightJerky View Post
    At what point in the day did you fit in the 2 twenty minute naps? Did you have an alarm wake you?
    I look forward to hearing more.
    I took one around Noon and the other around 5:30. Right now, prior to learning more, my rules are to shoot for taking the first nap between 10 and 2 and the second between 4 and 8. Second, the naps must be at least 4 hours apart and I must take the first one at least 4 hours after waking and the second at least 4 hours before going to bed.

I used a timer yesterday. I set it to 23 minutes to allow for about 3 minutes to fall asleep... The timer did not wake me up yesterday at all! For the first nap I woke up about 35 seconds before it went off

Last night was a first day success. I took the naps as stated in my previous post.

I went to bed around 1 am which was about 30-60 minutes later than planned. When I am on the computer its hard to get off. This is why I am also limiting my computer time to 3 hours. Well, thats what I decided prior to doing a polyphasic sleep experiment Now I may add an hour to that 3 hours since I have an extra 3 hours during the day!

So I went to bed at 1 am and woke up at about 6:05 am. That's 5 hours of sleep when I am suppose to get 4.5 hours. Maybe I'll need 5... not sure! I feel great and well rested. I am excited for today!

Oh! I did NOT wake up to an alarm clock today. Maybe I should do this... I am eager to learn more. Tim Ferriss has a few tools and tricks in the back of the chapter on polyphasic sleep.

Does anyone know of anyone who has tried the uberman method? This is when you take 6 20 minute naps throughout the day. You have to evenly space them 4 hours apart and be very rigid. But, you only need 2 total hours of sleep a day!! I may try this for 2 months or so in the future.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Interesting experiment. I'm going to watch and see how you feel in a couple of weeks

I'm unintentionally doing something like this during the work week - half hour nap after supper, go to bed at 11:15, wake up at 6:30 a.m. This gives me just under 8 hrs of sleep which seems to be my 'no alarm clock' weekend sleep pattern. Since going Primal I don't have the 3 p.m. lag at work.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Mldami is offline Senior Member
    My husband researched this many years ago. I talked him out of it...as I wasn't interested in sleeping that way. He rarely wakes on his own; and I didn't want to be a slave to his alarm clock. All that came of it is the name of our cat, Polly. LOL

I will be following this thread for sure!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast