Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Polyphasic Sleep Log page 4

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

wiltondeportes Guest
    I don't want to crash the party, but I've read research done on this subject. It's near and dear to me because I've had pretty unique sleep compared to anyone I knew. Really deep, never woke up on time for stuff, sleeping through hours of an alarm, being awake and sleeping at weird times of the day, etc. On that second point, I actually just gave up trying at some point because being sleep deprived < anything going on that day.

Anyways, research says we are biphasic. It's not natural to be polyphasic, and it was really not a healthy or happy path to go down. I have actually gone from generally monophasic to biphasic since I've been really, really ridiculously healthy (and good looking). So that's all I'm going to say... you've been warned.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    My mom sleeps this way. 2 hours here, 3 hours there. I don't know how she does it, but that's just how she sleeps. She has for years.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I don't want to crash the party, but I've read research done on this subject. It's near and dear to me because I've had pretty unique sleep compared to anyone I knew. Really deep, never woke up on time for stuff, sleeping through hours of an alarm, being awake and sleeping at weird times of the day, etc. On that second point, I actually just gave up trying at some point because being sleep deprived < anything going on that day.

Anyways, research says we are biphasic. It's not natural to be polyphasic, and it was really not a healthy or happy path to go down. I have actually gone from generally monophasic to biphasic since I've been really, really ridiculously healthy (and good looking). So that's all I'm going to say... you've been warned.
    Expand on the biphasic sleep pattern that is normal?

Also, does anyone else have problems sleeping with a full moon? It makes me not want to sleep (maybe my ancestors figured the best time to kill a mammoth was when it was sleeping).
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

Also, does anyone else have problems sleeping with a full moon? It makes me not want to sleep (maybe my ancestors figured the best time to kill a mammoth was when it was sleeping).
    Being one who generally follows the cycles of the Moon, I can tell you that there are energy differences during different phases. I do tend to be more restless leading up to the Full Moon (and life tends to get more chaotic.) New Moons make me withdraw and become more introspective. Those are the times I'm more apt to want to be left alone.

Hunting and fishing at the time of the Full Moon is supposed to be fruitful- not to mention that any shellfish caught at the Full Moon are said to be bigger and more succulent. I can't tell you from personal experience, but it's been said that more blood is spilled at the Full Moon... perhaps having something to do with the Moon's influence over tides/water.

In my experience growing up in the boonies, deer and other wildlife are also more active during the Full Moon also. We learned early on to be more careful when driving late at night during a Full Moon.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I first read about it here, actually.
    What is Biphasic Sleep? | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    I also think age plays a huge part in this. In your teens-late 20's, you would have been expected to be more "on watch", this is also the time when women would have been having babies, so it makes sense that during those years, sleeping in shifts would work best. However, as a person got older, they wouldn't be expected to be on watch, so they would be able to have the luxury of sleeping more at night. This also makes sense, because the older members of the tribe would be the ones watching the younger children during the day while the middle age people would be out hunting/gathering.

I think the bottom line is that we can't re-create what is "natural" for us. So our best bets are to sleep the way our bodies want to sleep. If you feel refreshed and rested after sleeping through the night, go for it. If you don't, maybe a modified sleeping schedule would help. Same with anything else. If it feels good for you, do it. If it doesn't work for you, then don't!
    +1

So far I'm loving it and am full of energy. Only time will tell.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    So how did your nap go Primal Toad? Are you feeling tired, or do you have energy?
    I've been full of energy all day like usual. Funny thing is I feel kind of tired now. I only got in one nap so it will be interesting to see how many hours ivsleep tonight. I'll be going to bed earlier, around 1130.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post

what is biphasic sleep?

I do know that thomas Edison loved his naps.....

And isn't it a spanish cultural thing for them to take an afternoon nap? They sleep about 6 hours I believe.... That's fiesta sleeping.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    what is biphasic sleep?

I do know that thomas Edison loved his naps.....

And isn't it a spanish cultural thing for them to take an afternoon nap? They sleep about 6 hours I believe.... That's fiesta sleeping.
    I'll see if I can dig up what I read on it. Mark's article was not the first place I had read about it.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast