Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Polyphasic Sleep Log page 2

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mldami View Post
    My husband researched this many years ago. I talked him out of it...as I wasn't interested in sleeping that way. He rarely wakes on his own; and I didn't want to be a slave to his alarm clock. All that came of it is the name of our cat, Polly. LOL

I will be following this thread for sure!
    Lol. Well, maybe if I have success you will let him experiment

I took my first nap today at 11:38. I was for sure dreaming up a storm. This is what is really cool too. I actually remember my dreams!! At night I NEVER EVER remember them. Why? Because I am literally sound asleep throughout the entire night. I have REM Sleep for about 2 hours but am simply unconscious for the rest of the time. I feel like thats just wasting my time!! The world has so much to offer.

And, whats cool is that 99.9% of the population can ad at least 1 20 minute nap to their schedule which adds 1.5 hours to their day every single day. Cool, dont you think?!

Back to my nap... I could have slept longer but I decided to get up. I felt slightly tired after the nap but now feel quite alive!! And, its a cloudly, rainy, stormy day.

Time to read and then eat primal food
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

My 2 naps went perfect today. I dreamed without question and was actually able to remember what I dreamed. I woke up naturally for the first nap and believe I did the second time too! I can't remember though...

Its 12:09 am and I am off to bed. If I wake up a touch before 5 am and feel well rested then I am golden.

Life is truly awesome when you have 19 hours during the day... Give this a try if your schedule allows it!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I have had this for years, and wish I didn't. Sleep 3-4 hours, awake for around 2-3, then want to sleep again for another hour or two. Rarely get the second round, which often leaves me dragging. This was a huge problem before I retired last summer, but even now I feel better if I can get six hours uninterrupted rather than the two phases.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    How long did you used to sleep a night before this?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    How long did you used to sleep a night before this?
    Around 8 hours. But, for the past 2 months I have been sleeping less, around 6-7 hours. I think this has to do with the fact that there is more daylight. It makes sense to me that our bodies require more sleep during the winter months and less sleep during the summer months. I just believe that our ancestors would have slept according to sunrise and sunset. I know I would have. I wouldn't go to bed at 6 in the winter but probably shortly after while the sunsets around 9 here in West Michigan right now so I would stay up later.

There are a lot of factors that play a role in how much sleep we need.

But, so far this experiment has been awesome.

I went to bed right at 12:30 last night and woke up at exactly 6:00 am without an alarm clock. With 2 naps I only require 4.5 hours of core sleep according to Tim Ferriss. I guess I needed 5.5 last night. I think the fact that its 100% cloudy has something to do with that.

I will continue to journal my sleep times to see what happens. So far I have been sleeping like a baby and enjoy remembering what I dream about for my 20 minute naps! It makes life more interesting

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Go for the uberman schedule.

I want to watch you go completely insane from sleep dep.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    What's the science behind doing this? Seems to me that paleo humans went to bed when it was dark and they were tired and woke up when the sun came out. Unless there's some significant metabolic changes I just don't see why 8 or 9 hours in a dark room isn't the best way to catch some z's. Just my $.02.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    What's the science behind doing this? Seems to me that paleo humans went to bed when it was dark and they were tired and woke up when the sun came out. Unless there's some significant metabolic changes I just don't see why 8 or 9 hours in a dark room isn't the best way to catch some z's. Just my $.02.
    Not necessarily. Between babies crying, making sure the fire doesn't go out, being on rotational watch to make sure nobody gets eaten by large predators, sneaking out before the sun rises to catch birds in their nests, and finding a good spot to start the day's hunting from, sleeping all night is a rarity in tribes that live outside. Most large predators are nocturnal, so it makes sense to sleep in naps during the day, that way you are alert for your watch at night. Also, it's much cooler at night (particularly on the African Savannah) so lots of things would happen at night, like socializing around the fire, etc.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    I disagree. Way too many environmental factors would have prevented our ancestors from getting 8 hours of sleep without interruption. Do you know who Thomas Edison is? He was known for taking a lot of naps. I feel awesome after 2.5 days.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast