Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help...Emotional Binge Eating page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I guess the topic says it all. I *know* in my head that binge eating is horrible and this particularly happens when I am stressed or emotional about something. It sucks because a few days on a binge and you feel like all your primal values and effort went down the drain.

Any motivational tips/success stories you guys have that can help me get off this? I'm usually 90% primal but lately have been giving in to ALL THINGS BAD!!! :*(

mstrudle is offline Member

You can't stop binge eating until you address the underlying psychological reasons behind your compulsive consumption. I can go 100% primal for weeks at a time if I am in a sound state of mind, but once I get loaded with work or exam time comes around I start craving old staples like bread, peanut butter, pasta, donuts, chocolate... you get the picture.

Remove the roots to remove the symptoms, I say.

go_ginger_go Guest

I could write pages about this, but I'll try to be succinct here. (Please do e-mail me privately if you (or anybody else) at go_ginger_go@yahoo.com if you want to discuss things in further depth.)

I don't purport to have all the answers, but this issue hA

CJ4400 is offline Member

Yes...I know. It's almost as if I need to hear what we all already know and pound it into my head! I know that the root of the problem needs to be addressed, that understanding that food won't resolve the issue, and that moment of "oh what the heck" will turn into torture and guilt should be reason enough to stop.

I guess I just needed to post and hear from you guys especially today.

go_ginger_go Guest

(Sorry...my cat decided to stroll across the keyboard.)

OK, here it is:

I could write pages about this, but I'll try to be succinct here. (Please do e-mail me privately if you (or anybody else) at go_ginger_go@yahoo.com if you want to discuss things in further depth.)

I don't purport to have all the answers, but this issue has been THE issue of my life. I've been bingeing my brains out since I was 17; I just turned 40.

Of all the many things I've tried, I have to say that therapy worked the least.

What HAS worked (and I do them all in conjunction -- I don't think one thing alone "kicked" it for me):

-- 5-HTP: A natural amino acid that repletes serotonin. Serotonin deficiency is a HUGE element of this, and I rarely see this addressed. Two books I would urge you to read:

Anatomy of a Food Addiction: The Biochemistry of Overeating

5-HTP: The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity, and Insomnia

There is a whole subsection in this book about binge eating and carboyhydrates, called Bulimia: An Extreme Form of Carbohydrate Addiction (I would also add Binge Eating Disorder in this.)

Other things that have worked for me:

-- an essential oil (must be therapeutic grade, not aromatic grade) called VALOR

-- Kundalini Yoga (this type specifically)

-- Overeaters Anonymous (for all issues with food, even anorexics go)

-- acupuncture

-- body work/energy work

-- journaling

-- learning to love myself so that I could never harm myself so badly

-- eating primally

-- the tonal approach (a branch of chiropractic that deals with the neurological system)

half-full is offline Junior Member

CJ4400 - I do the same when I get stressed. Not all the time thank God. but enough. I just got off the phone with my daughter who is majorly stressed, in college, struggling financially, engaged, etc and when I hung up I realized i ate 3 medjool dates and proabaly a half cup of almond butter. Was headed to bed when she called! I think I will email Ginger and see what she has to say. I am always open to suggestions. I know it is discipline. Been there, military background, success at many things I have wanted to do but cannot master this one. Am about resolved to quit beating myself up and cont PB as much as I can and enjoy life. I am training a high school ski team and am able to hang with them in the workouts I put them through so not doing too bad I guess. sorry - went off the subject....

half-full is offline Junior Member

Thanks for sharing the info Ginger - will look at all.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Thank you all for the info. It feels good to know that you're not the only one that experiences this.

Ginger, thanks for sharing and being so open about what you learned. I will read into some of the things you covered on your list. I definitely agree that going Primal has helped tremendously in combatting emotional binging. Thank goodness for Mark and the MDA community!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm guilty of it too, especially lately.

My triggers:

Stress. "I'm working like crazy. I need to relax, so I'm going to sit here and eat almond butter and chocolate chips."

Depression. Junk food makes me happy... in the moment.

Loneliness.

Boredom, occasionally. This one doesn't get me much anymore. It's mostly Stress and Depression now.

go_ginger_go Guest

half-full:

Discipline is SO not what it's about! I have more discipline than anyone I know. I once went 14 days without eating a single thing -- not even a stick of gum. And, yet, my ability to stop the bingeing was completely, utterly beyond my control.

Sorry, but the discipline thing this is a huge pet-peeve for me. Haven't we beaten ourselves up enough? The last thing we need is some dumb personal trainer who has no idea what they are talking about basically telling us to "buck up and be strong."

There's so much more going on there, including biochemistry. You can't fight biology; you will lose. It was a watershed moment when I finally came to the realization that, rather than hating myself/my body's weakness, my poor body was doing what it needed to do to get the serotonin it desperately needed. Next to the brain, the most serotonin receptors are located in the stomach (or intestines?--I'm not exactly clear on that).

Anyway, another thing that helps a lot is to keep things simple. I don't overcommit anymore and I make sure I take plenty of time for myself to just do nothing and rest. (Just as the PB says.) Also, becoming more self-centered and looking out for MY best interests for a change, rather than taking care of everybody else, helped as well.

::: hugs to all :::

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast