Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grains, not evil, just abused. page

dado Guest

Grains, not evil, just abused.

It is my understanding that grains, or agriculture, I use the terms interchangeably, allowed for the development of cities, or clustered centers of habitation, which in turn opened the flood gates for a ton of technological progress.

They've served their purpose, now we move on. But let us give credit where it is due.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    It is my understanding that grains, or agriculture, I use the terms interchangeably, allowed for the development of cities, or clustered centers of habitation, which in turn opened the flood gates for a ton of technological progress.
    Civilization is the worst thing to happen to humanity and a pretty awful thing to happen to this planet. Our technological progress serves mostly to rectify the mistakes that civilization caused in the first place.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Civilization is the worst thing to happen to humanity and a pretty awful thing to happen to this planet. Our technological progress serves mostly to rectify the mistakes that civilization caused in the first place.
    If nothing else, then for the ability to collect and share ideas, on paper and now electronically, thus philosophy, which is the quest to answer the question "how to live my life?", if nothing else is positive about this technological progress, this is enough.

There is no inherent meaning, of course, but contemplating this question and sharing answers at least gives life the most pure and truest of pleasures.
    Last edited by dado; 05-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I tend to agree on a lot of points re: the above, but I sure like my hot running water & flush toilet.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Sheesh, it was an accident of history due to someone figuring out how to make beer!

Don't give grains so much credit!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I tend to agree on a lot of points re: the above, but I sure like my hot running water & flush toilet.
    Yeah, it would be tough for us moderns to go back to that way of living, but ignorance is bliss. There's no hot running water to miss if you never had any.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Agriculture, not just of grains, facilitated the development of civilization, but that does not mean ipso facto that grains are good. Grains do in fact fatten people easily, and artificially, meaning not as nature/evolution intended. So, for a starving people grains have a roll, but most westerners are in the gone-too-far stage of the grain-based diet and food development. Walk through a supermarket and see how many foods you can find that do not have some form of grain in them, and you can understand that we have pushed the boundaries way past a bowl of porridge for breakfast. Humans and the animals most humans eat are artificially being fattened primariy on corn/soy products. PB is about recogonizing what we evolved to eat and getting our bodies back to a more natural way of eating, especially since this heavily grain-based diet leads directly to most of the diseases of moderity. The Golden Mean of any grain advantage to humans probably happened six hundred or more years ago. In short, if you do only eat a bowl of porridge a day, then you might be okay, but that is virtually impossible for the average person shopping in the typical food market.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Dont forget about the evils of sugar, either. High Fructose Corn Syrup...yeah, there's an accomplishment for man to add to the list under "civilization"!
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Grains only made the human plague much worse.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Don't forget organized religion. That's a real bright spot.

Oh, and division of labor. We need elites to tell us how to live our lives. And slaves.

Bioweapons. They're only scary until you think about nanoweapons.

Every silver lining has a cloud, dude.

Gordo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast