Thread: Body Fat For Fuel page

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member

Body Fat For Fuel

I see a lot of posts on here about losing that last few pounds or getting those six pack abs popping. I too am seeking the very low body fat percentage and am at that pesky stage where I have made excellent progress, very lean, vascular, cuts in my arms, chest, shoulders, etc... BUT, like a lot of other people on here, I have yet to shed that last little layer of abdominal fat to let those abs shine. It got me thinking. If our bodies use our own body fat for fuel, would it be better to lower the fat intake so we go straight to burning our own body fat?? I know that we need energy from fat and if we are going VLC AND cutting back on fat intake it will cause problems. Am I on to something or is this a ridiculous idea? I am hoping to hear from all of the people here that are far more educated than I am on this, which means I should get PLENTY of feedback....

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    your body will use your own body fat for fuel when you are under 50 grams per day of carbs! once i got down to 11% body fat i personally started going into ketosis once per month for the first two weeks then staying at 70 grams for the other 2 weeks. it took me only three months to go from 11% to my final and very happy 7.8%. that worked for me, might not work for everyone.
    Last edited by jaysond; 05-24-2011 at 04:55 PM.

otzi Guest
    Did you see this link? It pretty much explains what you are asking.

Intermittent Fasting and Stubborn Body Fat | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

What I took from this article is that basically anybody can get down to 15% BF (more for women) without trying too hard, but to get into single digits requires advanced steps and supplements.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GUN5LING3R View Post
    If our bodies use our own body fat for fuel, would it be better to lower the fat intake so we go straight to burning our own body fat??
    Saturated fats... no need to burn your own if your consuming all you need.

Sambo is offline Member
    If our bodies use our own body fat for fuel, would it be better to lower the fat intake so we go straight to burning our own body fat?? I know that we need energy from fat and if we are going VLC AND cutting back on fat intake it will cause problems. Am I on to something or is this a ridiculous idea?
    There was a good thread related to this the other week: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

Makes sense to me, but easier said than done, you need some mad discipline to pull it off.

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've been following the Leangains method to great effect. I eat TONS of potatoes post-workout (probably over 200g of carbs) and lean meat and sometimes have a smaller higher-fat lower-carb meal later (but I'm trying to gain some muscle; if I were cutting, I would skip meal #2). I keep calories and carbs lower on rest days.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The friend that introduced me to paleo sent me this last year… Keep in mind this was sent 1/28/10 when I was brand new to Paleo and my friend was only a month in. Bolding below is mine…

[quick background: we met in muay thai lessons, but he was also an active crossfitter and a machine all around, shredded like hell so I listened when he spoke, basically]
    Iniquity,

So I was doing some thinking about the paleodiet that I’ve been following for the last month or so, and I am going to make some slight revisions to it. That being the case, its only right that I let you in on my modifications since I have been touting it to you as one of the greatest diets of all time.

Here’s what I have been doing: no grains or dairy, no processed (i.e. non-fruit related) sugars, minimal amounts of salt, lots of protein in the form of organic white meat, eggs, and wild-caught fish, lots of vegetables, lots of fruit, lots …LOTS of fat (almonds, almond butter, olive oil, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, avocados, fatty fish like salmon). Don’t get me wrong… I love this diet. I have tons of energy, I sleep great, my hair stopped falling out, my moods are stable, etc… and now, before I get into what I don’t like about it, I need to set the backdrop.
    I started doing paleo because I couldn’t do muay thai anymore and didn’t want to put on weight. You know how I have a sick obsession with working out, how I would go to crossfit five days a week in the morning, run 8 miles, then go to muay thai five times a week at night. That being the case, I got used to having <4% body fat. Now that I’m not doing muay thai anymore and I’m only doing sprints once or twice a week, running long distance once a week, and doing the crossfit thing 4-5x a week, I’ve cut back on the number of calories being burned per day while simultaneously INCREASING the amount of fat I consume, so I naturally have put on ten pounds since starting paleo and am not as cut as I was. Granted, I’m at my natural body weight now and am putting on muscle from the crossfit resistance training, and you can still see all of my abs, but I want to look like I did when I was doing muay thai 5x a week again.
    The only way I can realistically see that happening is if I cut out all the fat that I’ve been eating. From now on, I’ll just be eating lean meat, fish, vegetables, and some fruit with MAYBE a handful of nuts here and there (insert joke here). I did this modified form of the paleo diet when I first started training at njmt and IMMEDIATELY lost 30 pounds and was the most shredded human being on earth. I probably had 3% body fat at that time, and I was barely ever running. What happens is, in the absence of carbs, your body stops producing abundant amounts of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that tells your body to store fat and burn carbs for energy. In the absence of excess insulin, your body naturally feeds on fat for fuel. Right now, since I’m eating a ton of fat, I’m basically just burning through the fat that I’m taking in and not burning off any of the reserves that I’d previously stored. By cutting back on my fat intake, I’ll start tapping into my body fat reserves for energy and should see my weight come down and my body SERIOUSLY lean out, but since I’ll still be taking in significant amounts of protein, I’ll be able to maintain muscle mass and the vegetables I’ll be eating will satisfy my carb/vitamin&mineral requirements. If you’re trying to lean out, I just don’t want to give you the impression that eating as much fat as you want, healthy fat or not, will get you there because it most likely won’t, it will just keep you where you are now. If you want to lose weight and really slim out, I’d monitor the fat intake, but eat a good amount of protein (1g for every pound of your ideal body weight). In other words, if you want to weigh in at 160, eat 160g protein per day. Hope this helps. Hit me up with any questions cause I’m starting to become a serious expert on this stuff.
    A year later we had another exchange and his diet was pretty similar but he said he does eat more fat now but because he’s in maintenance. He still does not eat a lot of excess fat like some of us here might.
    Also, the success that a lot of people are having with carb refeeds where they’re purposely keeping fat low is interesting is it not? Over-doing carbs and keep fats as low as possible and people are leaning out even doing so just once a week with a regular primal higher fat diet the rest of the time.
    What I gather from my friend is that he eats a leaner meat paleo diet. He doesn’t mention coconut oil, lard, tallow, butter, etc… not that there’s anything wrong with these things I just get the impression that he hasn’t spent any time browsing forums or whatever where I think most people get the idea to go higher fat/lower carb.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you iniQuity that it's interesting that carb refeeds work for some people. I think if you take in carbs under the right conditions (post-workout when your muscles are at their most insulin sensitive and while keeping fat intake low to reduce palmitic acid-induced insulin resistance) they can be greatly helpful in losing weight. In my experience, they blunt appetite very well; I'm not hungry for a looong time after I carb-up.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I agree with you iniQuity that it's interesting that carb refeeds work for some people. I think if you take in carbs under the right conditions (post-workout when your muscles are at their most insulin sensitive and while keeping fat intake low to reduce palmitic acid-induced insulin resistance) they can be greatly helpful in losing weight. In my experience, they blunt appetite very well; I'm not hungry for a looong time after I carb-up.
    Yeah I'm going to be paying more attention to the carb refeed going forward, or prepare myself accordingly. Sometimes I don't do it right because I don't prepare in advance by cooking in advance.

Interesting that you say you're not hungry, others report the opposite.

I think my friend is in a constant "semi-refeed" because he never takes in TOO much fat, just enough from salmon, avocados, etc.. not sure what he cooks with. His carbs are also never too high, but never that low. His activity levels are high though, as he's now a personal trainer so he's at a gym a lot.