Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil on salad page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Olive oil on salad

Primal Fuel
    Just a quick question ... is olive oil an acquired taste when you put it on salads and such without cooking? I tried once to put it on carrots and it kind of tasted ... horrible :P It tastes perfectly fine when adding it to cooked foods.

I started adding balsamic vinegar to my salads and was wondering about adding olive oil, that's all.

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    You mean olive oil by itself? I have only eaten it with vinegar. I'd think on it's own it would be gross.

peril is online now Senior Member
    Yes it is. Like olives, anchovies and beer. Imagine a world without them. Pretty easy to get used to and once you do you'll really appreciate it on a range of foods. My favourite is pouring olive oil over grilled fish - greek style
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    It can be, it has a complex and distinct taste that some really like, others need to get used to it. Good olive oil drunk straight should taste somewhat spicy (not hot), slightly astringent/bitter (but not much), herbaceous.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    You can also put it in a shaker or a jar and shake it up with some lemon or lime and or viniger with a few spices
    makes a awesome dressing veggies or to pour over meats....

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
    1 cup Olive oil
    1 tsp black Pepper
    Salt to taste
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    2 tablespoons Brown Mustard

Shake and serve over greens.

The best dressing ever.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    It can be, it has a complex and distinct taste that some really like, others need to get used to it. Good olive oil drunk straight should taste somewhat spicy (not hot), slightly astringent/bitter (but not much), herbaceous.
    Exactly! Also keep in mind, different brands can taste vastly different. The greener the oil, the stronger the flavor, if you don't care for the really green extra virgin stuff, try just plain old olive oil.
    I generally make vinaigrettes for my salads: 1 part olive oil, 1 part acid (I like it vinegar-y, you can do as little as 1/2 part. You can also use lemon or lime juice), salt, pepper, a little dijon mustard, a crushed clove of garlic, and whatever herbs and spices I have on hand and am in the mood for.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    I actually love a big ass salad covered in olive oil, some fresh pepper and garlic, no need for the vinegar. Not sure if I'm in the minority but it's my favorite lunch, you do need to buy a decent olive oil though.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Mick812 is offline Member
    I have finally ditched the store bought Ranch and have been using some roasted garlic vinegar on my salads. Only other added ingredient is red wine vinegar. About 2 calories, no sugar, carbs or any other added ingredient.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have one of those Misto oil sprayers, so I put on a good dose of olive oil on my salad that way, then squeeze half a lemon or lime over the whole thing. I also got some garlic olive oil that I'm jonesing for.

Can't say I'd be thrilled with just plain oil on a salad, but you never know.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast