Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Primal the next CW? page

Is Primal the next CW?

Primal Fuel
    All nutrition advice seems to cycle. Eggs are good, bad, good, terrible, just bad, great, bad, good again. Is Primal nutrition going to go through this same cycle? It is more widely accepted now than a couple years ago, but there are still plenty of detractors. I envision it will become more mainstream over the next few years. I know it has presumably been around for thousands (millions?) of years.

The question is whether we will look back in 30 years (after numerous studies and trials) and say I can't believe I fell for that, or will we say I can't believe it took so long for people to catch on?

Everything we call CW was recommended by "experts" at some point along the way. I think Primal will end up closer to Conventional Wisdom in the fact that is widely accepted as a healthy WOE, as opposed to the CW that is used here as a derogatory term for advice that only fools or dopes or sheep would follow.

Thoughts?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think fad diets come and go. But eating whole foods in my opinion should be the best conventional wisdom diet. It has been eaten since the beginning of time before processing came out. If it becomes CW then everyone would be a whole hell of a lot healthier. But I do not think it will become CW recommended by the USDA since there are no profits to be made from whole foods. Big pharma won't let it happen either. So I do not think it will become mainstream CW although it should have always been the CW diet. (At least it has been for many traditional cultures)
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Balance said it all, there's little money to be made from Paleo in the true sense of the word, meaning, none of this Paleo brand bullshit.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Its easy to be optimistic, but the reality is no, not even close.

I was browsing the Mayo Clinic's (a symbol of CW for me) diet articles for the CICO thread and it was really depressing.

There are too many entrenched interests with their fingers in what is considered CW. Just look at the "food groups."

Follow the money.

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal = CW

T.S.A = Public Safety

Drivers License = Safe Roads

America = Freedom

Government = Limited

Pigs = Fly

War on Drugs = No Drugs

Prisons = No Criminals

War on Poverty = No Poverty

dado Guest
    I wonder if this ballooning third world population would even be possible if it were nor for this CW, grain eating.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I think fad diets come and go. But eating whole foods in my opinion should be the best conventional wisdom diet. It has been eaten since the beginning of time before processing came out. If it becomes CW then everyone would be a whole hell of a lot healthier. But I do not think it will become CW recommended by the USDA since there are no profits to be made from whole foods. Big pharma won't let it happen either. So I do not think it will become mainstream CW although it should have always been the CW diet. (At least it has been for many traditional cultures)
    Also, the USDA is just a mouthpiece for grain farmers anyway.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Sambo is offline Member
    While it might seem like the whole paleo thing is spinning out of control, it needs to be kept in perspective. We're a very small percentage of people in a small no. of rich industrialised countries who take an interest in nutrition/health, have decided this is the way, and can afford to eat like this. For the other 6 billion, grain-based foods etc are here to stay, and the corporations running the industry will ensure that (those executives need a spare yacht).

I think the best we can hope for is a slow turn against processed food, but not in our lifetime. Even if the industrialised countries significantly turn away from processed crap, to real food, I'm sure we'll find those corporations adapting and peddling their wares in the rest of the world.

From my point of view, eating "paleo" or "primal" is a fad (the best one). But call it what you will, the basic principle of eating real food esp. vegies and meat etc, is no fad, it's common sense and a basic, healthful way of eating. Just give it a few hundred years to get back into favour. All we can do is continue buying the good stuff, support those producers in a small way.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a fad for sure, but I don't think that means it's unhealthy or anything. I give Oprah about a year before she goes Paleo - oops, she's retired, well "the view" will go paleo or something. It'll come. We'll also see the big food companies looking for an angle on "paleo convenience" foods. I meet more and more people who know about it, know friends who crossfit, etc. It's definitely growing.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

dado Guest
    Eating real food is Normal. A bloated world population based on Abnormal foods is an aberration and should not exist. Humanity should not exist in its current form. All charity and self-righteous benevolence towards the populations of the world which have no place existing in a Normal environment, this is wasted effort.

Certainly, the proliferation of Paleo and Primal has a purpose and should be a goal for those at the top, those profiting from it, and they deserve to profit from it because they were, are, the leading men and women who were intelligent enough to be a step ahead and cash in. But as a consumer of this lifestyle, you have to hope it does not catch on and that we can go on in the shadows because this would allow maximum access to this diet for our small numbers. As the numbers swell, the diet becomes less practical, less accessible. So we are caught in an ironic situation, where we owe our great health and well-being to these wise leaders such as Mark Sisson while at the same time being pitted against them in a ruler-and-ruled dichotomy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast