Thread: Good food nation page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

MIT's take on American Nutrition. I like the article in the sense that they suggest a cost-effective migration from cheap processed foods into local produce.

No word of the link between high-carb diets and omega 6 with obesity though. But increasing the availability of produce could indirectly mitigate the above...

http://tinyurl.com/ya76pr8

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Boy, did my cynicism dine well on that article.

Pie in the sky. Never addressed some simple facts:

1. How do you grow veggies in December in NYC? Even here in FL there is a veggie winter, except ours is in the summer!

2. Most people do not and will not want to grow some of their food. Period.

3. It takes a huge, intentional investment in tools, time, and knowledge to grow food. It's seldom truly economical compared to buying food in the store.

4. They didn't mention that possibly we should cut the grain and sugar subsidies and give the money to the Broccoli Cartel. Crap food is cheap in a large part because of subsidies.

I&#39;d say "Mi dos centavos" but that&#39;s not my native tongue. <grin>

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

OTB: "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

My take on your accurate observations:

1. Local produce does not necessarily entail fresh local produce. I&#39;m thinking preserved as opposed to processed. Constant provision of everything would def change under a local production scheme. But thats more aligned with what it naturally would be like in the northern hemisphere anyway, wouldn&#39;t it.

2. True. But I think they are talking more about local farmer markets and such.

3. Medium scale production might solve that (read 2).

4. I think thats a big big part of the problem as well. We are concerned about people eating crap we are subsidizing...

Your reference to the Broccoli cartel made me choke on my coffee.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

DebFM is offline Senior Member

There is a winter farmer&#39;s market near me where we can get local winter storage crops (turnip, rutabaga, winter squashes, etc) from November until April. I managed to get a good amount of even green veg until mid-January. After that it was mostly storage crops and apples.

You *can* grow green stuff year round, even up here in New England. Eliot Coleman does in ME - Check out http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/. He sells locally, up in Maine. I&#39;ve even had success myself with super cold hardy varieties. I had fresh lettuce in early March a few years ago. The kale I planted did okay through the winter, too.

That said, eating locally does take a bit of planning and it&#39;s certainly no contest price-wise. Grocery store food wins hands down, especially when those free-range chicken eggs are topping $4 a dozen in February. No subsidizing small farmers, either.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"Can" doesn&#39;t equate to "Logical!" Yes, I used to get remnants from the garden well into winter in CO. Things that hug the warm earth.

But I don&#39;t see it as something practical, more like a last gasp of summer. And certainly not going to work in Brooklyn....