Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do meat eaters really stink? page

MichaelH is offline Member

Do meat eaters really stink?

Shop Now
    Way back in the day when I was a vegetarian, I remember reading this multiple times in the vegetarian literature: Meat-eaters smell bad because of toxins, etc. I wanted to believe it at the time because it played to my sense of superiority (I was just a teenager, so plenty guillible).

I also encountered this concept in an old (1980s?) book written by the Japanologist Jack Seward that claimed that the Japanese think foreigners smell bad due to their heavy meat consumption.

This claim by vegetarians was briefly mentioned in Robb Wolf's most recent podcast, but just in a joking manner. Is there anything to this? I've never encountered what I considered to be a diet-based body odor beyond the usual offenders: garlic, curry, etc.

There was a Czech study that attempted to test the perceived attractiveness of male meat-eaters vs vegetarians based on scent. Like most studies about "meat-eaters," it's not truly testing a meat-based diet - it's testing a diet that includes meat (and probably a ton of grains, etc.). Moreover, it's known that in issues of attraction, there tends to be a large difference between what people self-report they're attracted to, and what people actually are attracted to.

Here is a write-up of the study (note the pic of the author in the upper-right - probably not the most pleasant-smelling guy himself).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MichaelH; 05-24-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typos

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I think we smell like pure, unadulterated awesome.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Go stand near a vegetarian and wait until they fart, then tell me meat-eaters smell bad

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i smell like coconut dark chocolate mint protein

i mean no harm in being a smart a*& however, i once read that smoking helps keep you skinny LOL

MichaelH is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    Go stand near a vegetarian and wait until they fart, then tell me meat-eaters smell bad
    One thing I miss about eating a grain-based diet is cutting a really good fart. I hardly fart at all since switching to PB. Maybe just a couple pathetic toots in the morning.

(I'm just kidding, of course - I don't really miss it ).

patchooli is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    LOL.

just my 2 cents. i have a sort of musky, sweet smell to my sweat. i've never ever had to use deodorant. that is, until i went low carb/paleo. now i have a distinct sweaty smell that is bothersome to me. i still rarely use deodorant, but i want to shower more.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    It's quite possible that the meat products that the meat-eaters ate made them smell bad. I know that when I used to eat commercial sausage, my system would go haywire. I mean, I had serious problems with pork sausage. It's also possible that eating any kind of meat produces, say, a "gamy" odor that some people would find offensive. There are some people who hate the smell of sweat, some people who are indifferent, and some who love it. But Americans and Canadians, in general, dislike natural odors and prefer synthetic scents, which is why laundy soap and other commercial soap is dosed with artificial scents.

Ditto the point about flatus. I never farted more than when I ate sprouted wheat special vegetarian bread. Went on all day. Grain-based breakfast cereals, oatmeal, broccoli, peppers, dairy -- most of the fave vegetarian food groups make me stink.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Ditto on the now seldom and less-offensive smelling farts!

AndresCP is offline Junior Member
    I'm going VLC for weight loss, and I'm pretty sure I smell worse now than I used to due to ketosis. All my bodily fluids are filled with acetone now.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Went through three phases:
    Pre-primal, meat-light, grain-heavy, wash w/ soap, use deodorant
    Primal, wash w/ soap, use deodorant
    Primal, wash w/o soap, no deodorant

No difference in how I smelled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast