Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selenium page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Selenium

I have to take a selenium supplement + the selenium in my multvitamin (bringing me up to right at the max dose) in order to curb the cravings for selenium rich foods. If I take the selenium pill, I do fine and can actually want to eat a variety of foods. If I forget my selenium pill, the only thing I want to eat is seafood, nuts, and eggs. I've been doing this for at least 6 months and I've seen no change in cravings on days I forget my selenium pill. I am hypothyroid (Hashimoto's thyroiditis on levothyroxine and granulated raw pig thyroid, bloodwork is where it should be and I feel "normal") and have a fairly cerebral job (civil engineer.)
    Given all this, is it just that my body uses that much selenium on a day to day basis or is there something else at work here?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Hmm that's interesting. I used to get bouts of cravings for eggs, but that hasn't happened for a while, and I started taking Se. Can't cast any light on it though sorry!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert, but I find this fascinating. I have heard that Selenium is needed for immune health as well as thyroid health, and specifically to convert T4 to T3; perhaps your body just needs more than the minimum levels to do this conversion? From Dr. Roby Mitchell on Ben Greenfield Fitness podcast:
    Selenium is very important. There’s an enzyme that makes that conversion for T4 to T3. That enzyme is dependent on selenium. So if you’re low selenium, then you’re not going to have an optimum conversion of T4 to T3.
    Since I also crave eggs every day (and after hearing that podcast), I started taking Selenium every day. Still crave eggs, but not as ravenously. (I'm currently hypo on Synthroid.)

That's kinda what I'm figuring, but I'm wanting to make sure that my body isn't screwy in that respect too. I've heard that there are people who need FAR more than the recommended dose (2-3X the upper limit) just to function. I'm taking actually a little over the upper level, but my body seems happy with that idea.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I'm no expert, but I find this fascinating. I have heard that Selenium is needed for immune health as well as thyroid health, and specifically to convert T4 to T3.
    I just returned from the naturopath, where we just had this exact discussion. You are correct -- virtually the exact phrase my ND just used an hour ago.

(She's putting me on selenium as it turns out, after all tests are now back, that my thyroid dysfunction actually has its root in my immune system.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    The perfect health diet says that 3 brazil nuts have the perfect amount of selenium. So now I eat 3 brazil nuts a day...plus 5 eggs. Can one OD on selenium?

Quote Originally Posted by eelnus View Post
    The perfect health diet says that 3 brazil nuts have the perfect amount of selenium. So now I eat 3 brazil nuts a day...plus 5 eggs. Can one OD on selenium?
    It has reasonably high UL, 400ug, and even that's not deadly. It also depends on your system.
    My Primal Battle Tome

doug is offline Member
    That is funny. The perfect Health Diet just had a new post dealing with Selenium / Iodine and hashimoto.

Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part I | Perfect Health Diet

There were three groups of mice, a healthy control group, and groups with iodine induced autoimmune thyroiditis without (AIT) and with (AIT+Se) selenium. The AIT+Se group was given high iodine (AIT only) for 8 weeks to induce the disease, and then, for 8 weeks more, they were given iodine plus selenium. After 8 weeks of selenium supplementation their thyroid follicles were almost fully recovered, as we can see below, even though high-dose iodine had continued
    Your body may definitely be looking for additional Selenium. Paul Jaminet may be able to offer insight/advice.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    That is funny. The perfect Health Diet just had a new post dealing with Selenium / Iodine and hashimoto.

Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Part I | Perfect Health Diet

Your body may definitely be looking for additional Selenium. Paul Jaminet may be able to offer insight/advice.
    I was just gonna post that!

Also didn't know that brazil nuts had so much selenium. Maybe it's not such a good idea for me to have 12 at a time anymore? That and the calories....
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

DKSABS is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting.... My gyn doc ordered a whole bunch of tests this year, including thyroid, cortisol, food allergy, and micronutrient testing. The micronutrient testing showed that I'm deficient in selenium, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E, even though I take a multivitamin and a bunch of other supplements. I just added an extra stand-alone selenium capsule and Vitamin E and B Complex on top of all the other supplements I'm already taking. I'm also showing signs of adrenal fatigue/low cortisol and was also diagnosed as hypothyroid. The doc put me on synthroid around 6 weeks ago, and he just added cytomel today after getting more blood test results yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast