Thread: Canned organic black beans?? page

NKatz is offline Member

Canned organic black beans??

Primal Fuel
    Ok, quick question about canned organic black beans. I know that they are obviously not primal given that they are legumes, but I do occasionally use them sparingly in chili to make it a more budget-friendly dish to prepare (part of the 20% obviously). My question is this: given that canned beans are essentially cooked and soaked already, and given that they are cooked for a long time in the chili, are the antinutrients (lectins and phytates) still an issue? If so, is there anything I could do to minimize it? Thanks in advance!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKatz View Post
    My question is this: given that canned beans are essentially cooked and soaked already, and given that they are cooked for a long time in the chili, are the antinutrients ... still an issue?
    Cooked and soaked already ... well, yeah, they'll be soaked/cooked long enough to make them soft and to make them edible ... and to make sure they don't go off in the can.

But I don't think canners go to the trouble to soak beans in a slightly acid medium and/or to add lactic bacteria to them.

It's probably still an open issue how much that matters, but, if you want (a) to consume them, and (b) to make them as digestible as possible, the other option is to prepare them yourself. This is obviously more fuss, but then again, as you say, they're budget-friendly—and dried and in bulk that's going to be even more true. (I guess there's a three-way trade-off between cost and convenience and what's healthiest.) The other advantage is that they're relatively high in folates—and actually as your consumption of protein goes up so should your consumption of folates, so throwing some black beans or kidney beans in with a load of meat might make sense.

Folate (Folacin, Folic Acid)

If you want to prepare them yourself, Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions will have instructions:

Amazon.com: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats (9780967089737): Sally Fallon: Books

Leave 'em out; use canned; prepare them yourself: basically there's three options, and anyone has to weigh up the pros and cons and make up their own mind.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Eden Foods seems to me to be a principled company. They do soak the beans and sell them in BPA-free cans. I have them about once a week. Because I like beans.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

NKatz is offline Member
    Lewis, thanks for the info. When work settles down a bit and I have more time, I might try and soak them so they're safe and cost-effective. I don't consume them that often, probably only once a month or so, so it's probably not too harmful, right?

Hedonist, thanks! I had no idea that Eden foods actually soaks their beans and are BPA-free. I think the ones I used were Westbrae, which, while they're organic, I don't believe they're soaked. That's great to know.