Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dared attempt the group fitness class today.... a wwyd post. page

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member

Question I dared attempt the group fitness class today.... a wwyd post.

Shop Now
    and I enjoyed it... although it was bloody hard.

I come from years and years of step aerobics (and a chronic hip injury to boot! big surprise!)... and I love the class environment for exercising, I find it motivating.

But - most often these classes are chronic cardio and really not suitable to a primal workout.

I go to the gym once weekly - and I've been watching this "pace & core" class and keep saying to myself that it looked like fun, despite verging on the chronic... BUT, I went today and it was fun! I got an excellent workout.

So... tell me, would you consider this class chronic cardio and how would you make this fit into your primal workout routine if you wanted to?

My usual workout routine involves daily yoga, and then on Tuesdays I do a LHT/Sprint workout at the gym. I do the 5 essential movements and I do a 10 minute sprint (30 second sprints, 30 second race) on the bikes. My workout leaves me sweating and with an elevated heart rate - I like it. But, its also a bit boring.

This class is 30 minutes of spin. I think I can modify or even skip this portion if I wanted. Then its 30 minutes of interval training (push ups, burpees, planks, balance work etc etc). Its really hard... and my muscles are NOT used to this kind of work. I have strong, but not powerful muscles - and I've actually been going to the gym as a balance to the yoga I do.

This class is the exact opposite of yoga.

So... if I do it, should I fuel differently prior or after? it is an hour of high intensity work. Should I skip the spin portion and just do the intervals (30 min)? If I skip the spin, what should I do prior? Maybe the 5 essential movements? Would a class like this replace sprinting? (its essentially HIIT).

Or...should I stick with what I am already doing?

I am curious about the opinions here, especially those who are interested in a well rounded approach to fitness. I'm looking to build functional strength and increase power in my muscles. I am great at the long holds, but the intense "repetitive work" stuff I tire of very quickly.

yada yada yada...
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like a good conditioning work-out. If you like it, keep at it!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Interval training is similar to sprinting - Going all-out for a short amount of time. Get rid of the 30 minutes of useless spin and do something fun instead. An hour of high intensity work is a lot, according to Grok. You are better at isometrics than lifting a ton of weight - This is normal for a woman and not necessarily a bad thing. Isometrics and interval training will not help you to lift heavy weights - Lifting heavy weights is the only thing that will increase the strength in your muscles.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a good class to me. 30 mins is hardly "chronic" and the bodyweight exercises and holds sound quite primal to me.

The most important things, though, I would think are - did you have fun? Is the class/workout motivating? Those are the primary reasons I do the exercise classes I do - I have a great time doing them, I'm motivated by the group environment, I feel like I got a good solid workout of my entire body, and they're not boring.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    Interval training is similar to sprinting - Going all-out for a short amount of time. Get rid of the 30 minutes of useless spin and do something fun instead. An hour of high intensity work is a lot, according to Grok. You are better at isometrics than lifting a ton of weight - This is normal for a woman and not necessarily a bad thing. Isometrics and interval training will not help you to lift heavy weights - Lifting heavy weights is the only thing that will increase the strength in your muscles.
    I'm not worried about strength - I feel pretty strong. Its more the repetitive, faster movements that get me. I think that has to do with the amount of power. I was told that plyo would be a good way to build that type of strength??
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Fitness classes are my primary source of exercise and they fall squarely into the Interval Training realm: bursts of high intensity followed by planned recovery periods. Which is just like sprinting, only without actually having to run. Heh.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I also really enjoy group exercise.

I like the sound of that 30 minutes of the "core" part of what they are calling "pace and core," but would skip the "pace"/spinning stuff. Not chronic cardio at all. Sounds fun.

It is really good to switch your routine up and throw your body some curveballs. Give 'er a spin on foreign terrain and see how she handles.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post

It is really good to switch your routine up and throw your body some curveballs. Give 'er a spin on foreign terrain and see how she handles.
    That's another reason I like the group exercise classes that I take. Both sets of instructors (two different gyms, different class styles) are good at programming a mixed bag of HIIT exercises that vary not only in the type of exercise, but often in the duration/intensity. My body never gets used to it and so far I've not gotten into an exercise rut. Both classes are also very able to be tailored to varying skill/strength levels, so right now I'm on the bottom end of the curve on many exercises (in the middle on others, but I don't think I'm at the top of any) so there's a long way to go before it ever gets easy (and I'm sure that they'll throw something else my way if/when it ever does!).
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalmama View Post
    I'm not worried about strength - I feel pretty strong. Its more the repetitive, faster movements that get me. I think that has to do with the amount of power. I was told that plyo would be a good way to build that type of strength??
    Plyo's and any of the Olympic Lifts and their derivatives are a great way to develop your power. I'd generally recommend a certain base of strength before this though - what are your deadlift, squat and press numbers like? And, if you're struggling with these repetitive fast movements, it will be an issue of power-endurance.

To be honest, I don't lift many weights... as I'm a yogi, I'm a little afraid of injury or strain due to improper technique or lifting too heavy. I do an assisted pull up (125lbs off 158lbs body weight) , overhead press with barbells (I just use 5lb weights) and tricep kickbacks (8lb) or an assisted dip (same weight as the pull up). I also do a leg press machine(I have to watch my hip with repetitive squatting - I track very poorly), 190lbs? I keep it pretty tame when it comes to weight and rely mostly on body weight work done in yoga to build strength. (hence, the lack of power).

Do you know of a good website that illustrates different plyo exercises?

I don't know that I'll ever do the Olympic lift stuff... I don't have a good coach here. I cannot afford to go to the crossfit gym as I'm currently in a yoga teacher training course that's taking all my extra $$ at the moment.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast