Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had fish and chips (from the fish and chip shop) page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Just had fish and chips (from the fish and chip shop)

Can someone give me the reasons why I shouldn't do this again.

I mean, I know full well it's not primal, but I want the specific - why isn't it primal? My first thoughts are lots of omega-6, and an insulin spike from all the chips. Correct? How does this food conflict with the PB exactly?

Thanks

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't do it again because I hate you. ( ) ... we have no fish and chip shops here. (well, not traditional ones, anyway)

On a more serious note, if you have flour-battered fish, then you're eating grains. Plus, if the fish & chips are cooked in vegetable oils, you're not doing yourself any favours.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    What belinda said. I'm going to Iceland next month and I am definitely going to have fish and chips, primal or not.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    Can someone give me the reasons why I shouldn't do this again.

I mean, I know full well it's not primal, but I want the specific - why isn't it primal? My first thoughts are lots of omega-6, and an insulin spike from all the chips. Correct? How does this food conflict with the PB exactly?

Thanks
    Just don't do it in the South of England. In the North Country the frying medium is usually still beef dripping. Across the South of the country they switched years ago to vegetable oil, then solid vegetable fats (I've seen blocks of it dissolving in the fryers), then—when the health problems associated with artificially cross-linked fats began to be known—back to vegetable oil again. It's a cheaper option, but, apparently, Northerners won't put up with it on taste grounds.

Fish? batter? potatoes? There's no real problem there, except for some people whose guts aren't healthy and who should avoid too much carbohydrate. But industrial seed oils and vegetables fats—specially ones that possibly reused too many times—that's definitely an issue.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    HI. Have you asked at your Buxton chippy if they use beef fat for frying? If so, I reckon the fish is great and the chips will be fine. The very small amount of flour in the batter won't do too much harm, surely - as long as it isn't every day.

I am so envious - which chippy did you go to??

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    What belinda said. I'm going to Iceland next month and I am definitely going to have fish and chips, primal or not.
    I'd break my Primal WOE in a heartbeat for a good fish & chips!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I'd break my Primal WOE in a heartbeat for a good fish & chips!
    +1

Although, belinda, you're just a few hours from the best fish & chips I've ever had at Westside Fish & Chips in Huntsville... if you are ever up near Algonquin Provincial Park, stop for your 20% there. YUM.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Pfft, you guys are useless.. you haven't put me off at all Infact I'll probably make it a once a month indulgence, because I do love good fish and chips (they're from Thompson's, breadsauce). And I'll ask about the frying oil.

Is there anything we can do to reduce the bad effects of seed oils, or is it more a case of cutting consumption as much as possible? Cheers.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    You could supplement with fish oil and try to eat less inflammatory foods in the surrounding days I suppose.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bigger problem with the veg oil than omega 6:3 ratio is the oxidation of the oil from the high temperature of the fryer, unless they're using fresh oil for each batch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast