Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just had fish and chips (from the fish and chip shop) page 4

localad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The seabass fillets are good as the skin side (fried in a little avocado oil) goes incredibly crispy. So no batter needed. Its the only fish skin I enjoy eating. I was lazy using bacon for the chips. ( Now I'm more confident with what works adiposally for me, I've been enjoying a few homemade potato chips with the fish. (spuds cut french fries style and roasted in a very hot oven, in butter!)
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Anyone tried frying cauliflower? I think that might be good with fried fish, so will give it a try this weekend, using coconut flour batter. But next time I'm in England I'm having f&c! Once every 2-3 years falls into the 80/20 easily enough.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Anyone tried frying cauliflower? I think that might be good with fried fish, so will give it a try this weekend, using coconut flour batter. But next time I'm in England I'm having f&c! Once every 2-3 years falls into the 80/20 easily enough.
    Coconut flour batter? Does it come out light and crisp? Could you share the recipe please?

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Coconut flour batter? Does it come out light and crisp? Could you share the recipe please?
    I'm cooking this tomorrow so will report back. Dipping the firm white fish (I'm using cod or halibut) in beaten egg, then rolling in coconut flour, should give a crisp layer--at least I'm hoping it will. I have had fish rolled in coconut, then baked, and that is super-delicious.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadgal View Post
    I love a good fish and chip meal, unfortunately here they are mostly cooked in oils and either battered or breaded BUT for some weird reason eating battered fish does not upset my stomach and give me bloat whereas bread and pasta do (which I don't eat), maybe it's something to do with it being deep fried. So once a month I have the above with my family and enjoy it!
    By the way I have lost all the weight I wanted to (10kg/22lbs) following Primal Blueprint and I feel fab and have dropped two sizes and am getting favourable comments from people, but I am still going to enjoy fish and chips occasionally. Oh, and I do eat basmati rice and potatoes on a regular basis and drink wine and the weight still came off although it took 11 months.
    Yeah, I have a similar issue. The batter doesn't make me feel bad. Same thing with potatoes. when they are boiled/mashed they make me feel bloated but fried or roasted they don't. The fat off sets the bloating for some reason.

I ADORE fish and chips. Hey, I am sure that a gherkin is primal and what about a pickled egg? However, I will avoid them due to what they fry in - vegetable oil as I am leading a one woman boycott of vegetable oil . There are some who fry in dripping in Central London so I may treat myself sometime soon. I have had them in dripping before up North. Miles better. Vegetable oil is rank.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I found a really good gluten-free fried fish recipe online. I used gluten-free flour (it has rice and tapioca I think). I fried it in refined (no flavor) coconut oil. It was fabulous. My husband said it was the best fried fish he's ever had. And not greasy at all. There are ways around it. Sure, gluten-free flour isn't primal, but I think it's better than wheat and industrial oils.

That said, if it didn't bother me, I'd probably splurge more. But wheat really messes me up.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I wouldn't be able to do the batter without feeling like crap. That is, as long as it was made with the standard wheat flour. I bet I could make a version of this at home that would be fine, though.
    A fantastic coating for fried fish: dip in beaten egg, then in cheap parmesan. Crispy, crunchy, golden and delicious. Use it for cauliflower too.

Did the big fry today. Used beaten egg and coconut flour; dipped the cod, and cauliflower chunks, and firm avocado, in egg then shook (in a plastic bowl with lid) with coconut flour. Fried in combination of bacon grease and coconut oil (next time I will stick to just lard). Cooked avocado, then cauliflower (put in warm oven), then fish. Based on how fast it disappeared from our plates, I say it was a definite success and will be repeated--in cooler weather. The cauliflower still tastes like cauliflower, though much milder, and had more of the texture of potato than I expected. The avocado was really great. The fish was lovely, brown and crispy. A bit of malt vinegar made it a great primal fry up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234