Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just had fish and chips (from the fish and chip shop) page 2

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm glad you brought this up because I indulge in fish n chips from whole foods twice a month. But since they changed their recipe, i don't think I'll indulge in it anymore. They use to make them with these huge fat pieces of cod and hardly any batter. But now the fish is skinny and the breading thicker.
    But if I can find really good fish n chips with big fat fish, I think I would still indulge again.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I would really, really try to find a chip shop that uses animal fat. The chips absorb too much of the oil to risk rancid omega 6's in such quantity - it is the sole reason I've utterly stopped eating fish and chips or it would be a monthly indulgence. If I still lived in the North, where enlightened chip shop proprietors can still be found, I'd be queuing there 1st Monday of each month....

peril is offline Senior Member
    There are so many delicious and primal ways to prepare fish that this self-indulgence is inexcusable. Those of us suffering the ravages of inflammation can only look on in despair when those that haven't but do have the knowledge show so little fortitude
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

cassel_man is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    There are so many delicious and primal ways to prepare fish that this self-indulgence is inexcusable. Those of us suffering the ravages of inflammation can only look on in despair when those that haven't but do have the knowledge show so little fortitude
    Oh brother... Keep sipping that Kool-aid.

Obviously, it's up to you whether or not you consume fish and chips. It should be based on how your body reacts to it not what other folks think of it. Fish, paleo. Potatoes, paleo. Breading, not paleo, but a minor component. Oil, may or may not be paleo, question is whether those few grams of possible non-paleo oil is going to have a drastic negative effect on your health. I'd wager it won't. Heck, and even a minor negative effect on your health might be worth the pleasure of a plate of fish and chips now and then.

peril is offline Senior Member
    We know that one fish and chips meal is not toxic. But do you know how many such meals it takes to cause damage? And will you be counting and be sure to limit the damage. We should be celebrating the goodness and deliciousness of good food, not convincing each other and ourselves that its OK to consume wheat and toxic oils. You might as well finish it off with a kool-aid. I'll stay the course thanks
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    We know that one fish and chips meal is not toxic. But do you know how many such meals it takes to cause damage? And will you be counting and be sure to limit the damage. We should be celebrating the goodness and deliciousness of good food, not convincing each other and ourselves that its OK to consume wheat and toxic oils. You might as well finish it off with a kool-aid. I'll stay the course thanks
    Please continue posting about it, I haven't been meeting my RDA of self-righteous pompousness

But the whole point is that we want to AVOID the toxic oils and use beef fat. And the amount of flour in the batter - once a month or so - is negligible.

I DO agree with you that we are benefiting hugely from eating good, wholesome. nutritious foods. Missing out bread, pasta, omega 6 oils etc etc.

And I will be "counting ...to limit the damage". But I love fish and chips. Once in a while is not a crime.

EricS is offline Member
    I think his point is that you can easily make fish and chips at home primally with a nut batter and animal fat. If its the best of options when you're out and can't get home sure, but actively looking to make a once a month habit out of it is different.

Obviously no one here can prevent you from doing that if you choose to, your life, your body etc. But that doesn't mean they have to think its a good idea.

I can definitely see both sides, the one side that thinks its preachy and the other side that wants to voice their opinion that this is not a healthy activity that should be promoted, especially on forums dedicated to helping people eat in this way.

OK! I won't eat fish and chips! I haven't had any for ages and the appeal was enormous. But I'll eat sardines and carrots instead.

You've won.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Fish (seabass) 'chips' and mushy peas (avocado and mint puree)

(from the UK and ROI Primal group pages)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ussion419.html
    Last edited by localad; 05-26-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast