Thread: Any advice for extreme sugar cravings? page

Josie16 is offline Junior Member

Any advice for extreme sugar cravings?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone! Can anyone give me some practical tips to overcome my sugar issues? I am really passionate about this program, but my sugar cravings keep sidetracking me! I can live without most grains/bread/potato chips/other starchy junk, but I can't seem to resist my physical cravings for sweets- which tend to fall into the above categories..

I was following the plan pretty closely for about a month, I wasn't eating any fruit- but I couldn't resist eating a full fat fage everyday with stevia due to my sugar cravings- and then I started incorporating dark chocolate just to get by. I eventually started eating about a tablespoon of almond butter a day as well due to cravings. I didn't lose ANY weight, just from eating fage/dark chocolate- even though I was following the dietary principles otherwise and eating around 1400-1600 calories/under 80 grams of carbs. I became discouraged with lack of results and ate a couple desserts on my birthday, and from that point on I started eating sugar again and other things I wasn't eating on my primal plan. I'm disappointed that this lifestyle has you RESTRICT so many foods yet you have to be ABSOLUTELY perfect food wise to lose weight. I understand that many of the foods not included in this lifestyle/diet aren't optimal for health, but still... I thought it was my thyroid condition contributing to my weight stall- but its not- ive never before had problems losing weight in spite of my thyroid- as recently as 11 months ago I was able to lose weight.
    My labs were fine -tsh 1.85 (id prefer it at 1ish but i dont want to take more armour), my free T3 was highish and my free t4 was normalish if not a little low. I can't blame my thyroid.

Anyhow, I still want to try to be as primal as possible, but I can't stop snacking on sweets! I don't binge, but I just can't help but slip sweets into my diet here or there- enough to raise my caloric intake significantly. Once I start eating sugar, I find it hard to transition to not eating sugar again! I've been trying to transition back to primal for 2 weeks now!

Ive started taking trytophan and glutamine, with little results. I'm going to keep up with these supplements and hope my cravings become more manageable.

Here's a typical day for me foodwise-
    B- 2-3 eggs cooked in butter/coconut oil/or bacon fat, occasionally bacon/kielbasa/chicken sausage (nitrate free good stuff)
    L- Fage yogurt w/ coconut flakes (unsweetened) & stevia, Nut butter mixed in occasionally- 1 TB, Salad w/ oil/vinegar + sauerkraut & veggies
    D-Usually some kind of meat dish with veggies or salad with lots of stuff on it. I do have some cheese at dinner time on salad. I will try not to in the future.
    My salads are usually significant in size (I have a garden with lots of lettuce... I need to eat it), I DO NOT eat less the 1400 calories a day.

Now that I'm a sugar addict again, Im consuming chocolate/peanut clusters (from the health food store junk sweet aisle... better then candy)/other carby sweets on top of what I normally eat.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    dark chocolate (just one square of 80+% dark) really helps me with some sugar cravings. sometimes though i need to get something a little different, so i'll reach for a handful of berries or some other kind of fruit.

Korga is offline Member
    You might try an afternoon snack of berries with 1/2 Cup coconut milk. Tastes sweet but provides a lot of fats. Also; sounds like with all the salad you may not be getting enough carbs. Try adding with breakfast a root vegetable stew, made from steamed sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, optional parsnips or rutabega. This is good with minced ginger, a few raisins and whole Cumin. Better with coconut milk poured on top.

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    dark chocolate dipped in all natural no salt almond butter

grokina is offline Member
    a few ideas:
    - a brisk walk, short or long
    - choosing coconut milk over dairy
    - coconut butter/manna (very sweet after a while of limited/low sugar)
    - blackberries (and coconut milk or butter)
    - no artificial sweeteners, if possible
    - 90% chocolate and up, like others are saying, if you must have sugar