Thread: Are there primal benefits to losing blood? page

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

Are there primal benefits to losing blood?

I did a very primal thing on Sunday. I lost alot of blood. Grok never measured his blood loss I am sure, it only mattered whether he survived and was conscious.

I survived and I was conscious.

And that cute young thing in white ran away with my blood in some plastic baggy - as my gaze lingered on.

Yes, definitely something primal about losing errr giving blood.

But it does beg the question, grok and all animals evolved to have to lose blood. Did the body ever adapt to make the process healthy? For example, I had very high serum ferritin levels so that was one benefit. Are there any other benefits to making the body replace plasma, blood cells, and platelets? Is there some benefit to losing the old and building the new?

This isn't trying to build an argument for the return to leeches and blood letting. I really prefer the nurses. Thats my kind of primal...
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 05-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.

I guess I am the only one to have ever wondered this?

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I have a forum-mate on another forum that swears that she precipitates a weight loss every time she gives blood. Not the pound of fluid within the next hour kind, but the real kind, as her body ramps up production of all the precious protein components lost in the pint given.

dado Guest
    Losing blood is very primal. When grok was mauled by wild beasts he bled profusely.

What is important is that you survived. Your body will benefit from this temporary blood deficit; it will become stronger in the long run.

warrdogg is offline Member
    I give blood on a regular basis but I don't know if there is any benefits. I was hoping to see what other people say. I know that after I give blood the nurses tell me no physical activity for 6-8 hours. They also say to eat carbs/sugar ie cookies, juices etc right after. They provide them along with soup. I usually eat one as I don't know if there is a negative side to not having if after giving away that much blood. I do drink plenty of water and day before and after I give.

I am interested if anyone could shed some light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Losing blood is very primal. When grok was mauled by wild beasts he bled profusely.

What is important is that you survived. Your body will benefit from this temporary blood deficit; it will become stronger in the long run.
    But how? I am assuming the body must have developed beneficial adaptations due to recovering from blood loss.

The most obvious example talked about by the Dr. Eades is blood loss reducing iron content of blood, beneficial because iron is likely to be high in paleo eaters. Women don't have too high iron normally due to menstruation (for as long as that occurs). Men, who don't have regular blood loss, can end up with too high iron.

What about cholesterol? If there are 8-10 pints in the body, did I lose 1/8 of my cholesterol? How will the body replace that cholesterol?

Are there any "aged" components or substances in blood that by virtual of having a pint removed, are now permanently out of circulation, spurring something new and beneficial?

I did google searches right now and the research seems to be scarce in this area....

Quote Originally Posted by warrdogg View Post
    [nurses] also say to eat carbs/sugar ie cookies, juices etc right after. They provide them along with soup. I usually eat one as I don't know if there is a negative side to not having if after giving away that much blood. I do drink plenty of water and day before and after I give.
    I am guessing you would have lost 1/8 to 1/10 of your blood glucose. If like me and other paleos you have your blood sugar kept fairly close to your fasting blood sugar you could end up... too low? I am guessing. The cookies et.al. replace the blood glucose lost with the blood.

As in my immediately previous response, I wonder what else is lost that is actually beneficial to lose and/or replace...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Those who have familial haemachromatosis benefit from the giving of blood as it removes excess iron from their body. This was one of the reasons I used to give blood (I'm heterozygous, my mother having been homozygous). Now they won't take my blood. Oddly enough, being primal appears to have stabilised my ferritin levels. Makes me wonder if my mother could have avoided fatal liver damage from having been undiagnosed for so long.

They are a bit precious about having sugar and rest after giving a pint. I used to cycle 15km to the blood bank, donate, then cycle about 7km to work. Didn't have any problems though I was young and conventionally fit
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

kurite is offline Senior Member